It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smooth filters errors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:23 am  (#1) 

Hi
I've never posted anything before but I seem to be having a lot of issues with my version of GIMP and G'MIC so thought I would see if someone could help me.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.5, GIMP 2.8.10, G'MIC 1.5.9.3 - Mac OS 64 bits.

I had lots of problems installing G'MIC in the first place but found a version of GIMP with it pre-installed so am using that and in general works ok. I have tried updating G'MIC to the latest version 1.6.0 but cannot get GIMP to recognise the new version.

Anyway, the problem is I want to use the filter Smooth bilateral but I get the following error *** Error in ./gimp_bilateral/apply_channels/../*if/*thread0/*local/*repeat/ *** Command '-bilateral': Invalid argument '10,7'.

if I change any of the settings I then get the following error *** Error in ./gimp_bilateral/apply_channels/../*local/_apply_parallel_overlap4/*if/*thread0/ *** Unknown command or filename '-l[0]' (did you mean '-l' ?)

This seems to happen on all of the Smooth filters.

Anyone got any idea on how i resolve this?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Smooth filters errors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:20 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi boomer,

Welcome to GimpChat! :jumpclap

The very, very specific problem is a parsing error during script processing; the G'MIC command, -bilateral takes two numeric arguments. However an error in substitution (cause unknown) is giving this command the string '10,7' which isn't a pair of numbers but three digits, digits two and three separated by a comma and the whole taken to be one string (and not two numbers).

Why should this calamity take place? I could think of a host of reasons, but don't have sufficient particulars for diagnosis, which could be time consuming for both of us. One big area of missing particulars for me is that I'm not (currently) a Mac user. That said, my favorite (untested) theory is that you are suffering from version mismatches among the various pieces of your Gimp, gmic_gimp, supporting scripts and Mac system libraries. In particular, the supporting scripts could be from a different version than gmic_gimp, which could lead to problems of the type you are observing.

I see from your post that you initally installed G'MIC, had troubles, found a Gimp package with G'MIC pre-installed, and that this one (mostly) works, though the smoothing filters don't. I'm wondering if the old installation was completely un-done? That scripts from one version are interacting with a plug-in of another version?

More to the point, your Gimp and G'MIC versions are both somewhat old. The reason why you cannot upgrade to gmic_gimp 1.6.0.0 is that the the latest gmic_gimp binaries link against only the more recent versions of Gimp, and Gimp 2.8.10, I fear, is now out of the support window, which, for a lot of reasons can't be very far back.

For a lot of good reasons, the Mac is very particular about versions being properly aligned. My general suggestion then is to get GIMP, G'MIC and your Mac system libraries properly aligned at the latest versions possible for Lion (10.7.X). A very knowledgeable Mac AND G'MIC person is Karsten, who wrote a general guideline for getting G'MIC running on the Mac - See gmic on Mac in this forum. There are links following off of that thread that are also useful.

I stress getting the latest versions possible because many new features arrived with G'MIC 1.6.0.0, and some very significant new features are planned for 1.6.0.1. The 1.5.x.x series is rather unbearable to use in comparison. It also makes support from other people somewhat more available, as fewer and fewer use the older versions as time goes by. Finally, you may be suffering from a script bug that was fixed in later G'MIC versions.

You're probably thinking: 'Yeck! a complete uninstall-reinstall?' and, well, yes, I think this is where this is heading. Partha (Partha's Place) seems to be a reliable integrator of Windows and Mac binaries and takes pains to provide the latest versions. After reading Karsten's guidelines and branching threads, my inclination would be to get binaries from Partha. Do make sure that the uninstall is complete, for it seems that many problems arise when debris from one install interfere with those of another (mismatched libraries and the like).

Hope this helps
Garry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:49 am  (#3) 

:jumpclap Thanks Garry for taking the time to write all of that. I think you are right and a complete uninstall and install is required.

I had in the meantime installed the version from Partha's place but G'MIC failed to open completely and after several re-install attempts GIMP fails to open completely. So I have completely messed it up, mainly because, I think, I hadn't uninstalled the previous version.

So here goes, hopefully I can do it properly this time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:38 am  (#4) 

Just as an update - I managed to install the version from Partha's Place and it worked!

The version of GIMP is and G'MIC is 1.5.1.9, even though the website says it is the latest versions. However, I'm not bothered what version it is as long as it works.
:clap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That's good news, boomer!

It wasn't clear from your post, but I trust that McGimp 2.8.14 is your base
Gimp. That's new enough to support 1.6.0.0 and forward, but there is more
than enough to keep you busy with the 1.5.1.9 version you've got. I think you
can take a break from Installation Hell for now, go out and play.

Many of the gmic-gimp filters are on their own update schedule, so if you have
a good internet connection, it makes sense to refresh them periodically. That's done
by enabling the Internet download checkbox in the plugin main panel, then hitting the circular arrow
button to the left of it. Basic introduction is obtained by using the 'About' filter; and links
to other G'MIC communities can be reached via http://gmic.eu/

You've got an awful lot of fun ahead of you. Post any accomplishments here.

Take care!

Garry