It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hedcut: A New Experimental Gimp-G'MIC Filter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:31 am  (#81) 
GimpChat Member

Not showing the result, but yes, David, engrave's spot on and fantastic. My job's now much easier. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 am  (#82) 
GimpChat Member

I'm impressed.

Attachment:
20121011 Des Studio_engrave.png
20121011 Des Studio_engrave.png [ 194.31 KiB | Viewed 2255 times ]

Can I suggest adding some kind of local contrast enhancement to the beginning of the filter. I use a wide radius unsharp mask on the image on the right before using the engrave filter. You get some halos but also more details.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 am  (#83) 
GimpChat Member

IMO David's filter looks nice, but is quite different from Lyle's suggestions: in Lyle's version also the light areas have to have lines in them, should not remain flat white/colour.
Just an opinion...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:35 am  (#84) 
GimpChat Member

Whew. I'm going to need some of Dr Rentel's Vitality Pills to keep up with all the directions this thread is going in. The key matter to me is to observe where you take this filter, which in most cases has not been entirely anticipated by me. Issabella, for example, has particular aesthetic sensibilities which are not mine, and by her various outcomes illustrates visual effects that I would not have thought were in the filter's reach a week or two ago.
Quote:

That's it. That, in just a few words, what Issabella wrote is the importance of not only this thread but the larger GimpChat framework. Thanks be to GnuTux and others for founding this raucous zoo. These tools are too large to learn on one's own. (Gimp or G'MIC). To see how others use the tools, to see how others go about getting their outcomes, gives everybody big hints on how to reach their own outcomes.
@oldmangrumpy
I particularly like the stele in your post (#63) which looks somewhat like a Stone Age flint arrowhead. The hedcut pattern on the stone, following its geometry, looks like an alien script and lends a great air of ponderous mystery. I wonder if you considered diminishing or even suppressing the hedcut pattern in the sky, to give greater emphasis to the stone? Pen-and-ink was my first drawing medium, and my mother - who also illustrated in that medium - eventually pounded into my head that with a strong contrast medium like India ink on white cold-press, where one didn't draw was every bit as important as where one did: 'Frame the inkwork in white.' was her constant guidance, and that sticks with me. Dark hedcut on light background can also overwhelm. In my humble opinion, it need not be everywhere; only where it has to be. Figuring that out, of course, is the fun of the game.
@Issabella
Hedcut with Blur by color was one of those discoveries that occured to me only after seeing where this thread was taking off, so I thorougly enjoy how you've picked up where I left off and carried the technique elsewhere. The hedcut pattern, in the manner that it sort of follows edges and sort of doesn't, reminded me of loose-brush painting styles, which in turn gave me the thought that a blur-by-color control image based on hedcut patterns would give rise to interesting faux loose-brush styles. Now you've gone ahead and made 'interesting' fascinating. Thank you.
@Lylejk
You can steal my oranges anytime if that's the kind things you're going to be doing with them. As you may gather from my remarks to OMG, pen-and-ink, white-on-black is something I have a sweet spot for. Thanks also for bringing to fore that there are many, many Gimp-G'MIC filters in the tree that don't get much attention nowadays in the noise engendered by the new filters. That's a shame; they have not, in any sense, lost their vitality - just mind-share.
It is certainly possible to automate your technique into a new filter. To those adept at G'MIC command line, a Gimp-GMIC filter is a graphical UI wrapped around a G'MIC command, and -- in almost three times out of four -- a G'MIC command is just a packaged sequence of other G'MIC commands. That makes a Gimp-G'MIC filter subject to the same taking-apart-and-reassembly process that engenders new and modified g'mic commands from other g'mic commands. Behind the scenes, Lylejk's Stencil is a repetition of blurring-unsharpening-cutting an image. To that you add -smooth, just wrapped in a Gimp-G'MIC filter. It's not a difficult process to take these front-end steps and combine them with Stencil to synthesize a new filter (in fact, Ronounours seems to have :ninja me and done just that - :hi5 !) One of the goals of the gmic.eu Tutorial pages (its first anniversay being Pi Day, tomorrow, and already today over the Date Line) is to cultivate a wider facility at the G'MIC command line, along with the theory behind the significant commands. In the command line setting, Gimp-G'MIC filters assume an entirely different character: they are mere assemblies of convenience that, like so many Erector Set gadgets, can be quickly taken apart and reassembled to fit some new purpose. The ability to dissolve and reassemble Gimp-G'MIC filters is just one of the benefits of grasping the principles of the underlying command line, in that it frees one from the tyranny of Gimp-G'MIC filters that almost (but not quite) do what you need them to do. But perhaps this is a topic of another thread ;) . )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:48 am  (#85) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
... As for red & white, I prefer Orange and Blue Dinasset. lol

:)

Lyle, it's not RED, it's "Sanguigna", very much used especially in the past.
Have a look...hehehe

Attachment:
disegno_sanguigna.jpg
disegno_sanguigna.jpg [ 7.36 KiB | Viewed 2252 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am  (#86) 
GimpChat Member

to give an example of what I was saying before concerning David's filter (very nice BTW!)

Attachment:
11328-woman-reading-una-stampa-di-rembrandt-in-mostra-a-pavia.jpg
11328-woman-reading-una-stampa-di-rembrandt-in-mostra-a-pavia.jpg [ 199.41 KiB | Viewed 2249 times ]

flat white areas should be kept to minimum IMO...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 am  (#87) 
GimpChat Member

lol; ok Dinasset. Thanks for letting me borrow your oranges grosood; also I, again, am sorry. Should have just started another thread instead of hijacking yours. Now back to your technique. Of course I scaled up then re-scaled back down. :)

ref: http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/seve ... 606-14.jpg

Attachments:
fp121606-14.jpg
fp121606-14.jpg [ 701.62 KiB | Viewed 2249 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 am  (#88) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset : there is a slider 'Perturbation' in this new engrave filter that you can set to add those lines in flat regions too.

@Iain: good suggestion, but.. If this is something that can be done before the filter application, I prefer not to include it in the filter itself, because we could think of zillions other things we'd like to do before applying the filter, and I must keep each filter somewhat 'atomic' as much as possible.

Here is another example of using the Engrave filter and playing with the colors a little bit:

Attachment:
gmic_engrave.jpg
gmic_engrave.jpg [ 311.85 KiB | Viewed 2247 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:29 pm  (#89) 
Global Moderator

@Grosood - thank you for your comments and creative suggestions re my post #63; I did have a number of options in play at the time of which this was one ...

... and I think you are right, the bumped headcut feature really becomes the focus. My photos from the annual statues by the sea exhibition are providing quite a numbe of further candidates for this thread :yes

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:59 pm  (#90) 
Global Moderator

Sculpture first and now a vase from a palace in Copenhagen ...

I like the use of 'hedcut' to bump an item but I am still having problems coming to grips with 'blur by colour'.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:15 pm  (#91) 
GimpChat Member

My Hedcut Butterfly

Attachments:
HedCutButterfly.png
HedCutButterfly.png [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 1742 times ]

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:58 am  (#92) 
Global Moderator

Tried my avatar picture with the hedcut experimental.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:10 pm  (#93) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice Mahvin.