It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Some Samj filters have Disappeared[Jontait2 is working on solution
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:35 am  (#31) 
Script Coder

Aha! Excellent, that works. Thank you David, I'll have another try now.

Edit:
Just as a footnote:
Script-Fu does provide some platform-specific literals to construct pathnames, including:
gimp-directory = "/home/<user>/.gimp-2.8" (Linux) or "\Users\<user>\.gimp-2.8" (Windows)
DIR-SEPARATOR = "/" (Linux) or "\" (Windows)

So the same effect can be achieved thus:
(plug-in-gmic 1 image 0 1 (string-append "-command " gimp-directory DIR-SEPARATOR "scripts" DIR-SEPARATOR "Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic"))

Last edited by jontait2 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Some Samj filters have Disappeared[Jontait2 is working on solution
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm  (#32) 
Script Coder

We have the technology to re-build him it...

@Graechan
I've tested this on Linux but not Windows ..it should work okay, but...
Please give it a good testing and then, if and when you're happy, make an official release on GimpScripts.
(Change my "hack3" designation to your Rel 1.5 or whatever.)

Attachment:
Gmic Logos script & presets.zip [15.52 KiB]
Downloaded 102 times
Unzip and copy both files to your personal scripts folder.

Edit:
I have now tested this on Windows 7 x64 and it seems to work okay.. over to you Graechan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:25 pm  (#33) 
Script Coder

jontait2 unfortunately only 'Wild Cactus' and 'Colored Wind' worked, I'd like to get 'Hallucinogenic' also working
Note the 2 working files are OK with or without Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic in scripts folder

Last edited by Graechan on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:53 pm  (#34) 
Script Coder

That's strange!
Has anybody else tested this latest version - if so, did it work? (I notice that it's been downloaded several times, presumably by people other than Graechan).

@Graechan:
please try starting Gimp from console and see what messages come out when you try running the script for eg. "Hallucinogenic".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:30 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

It runs OK on my Linux gimp 2.8.14 running Gmic 1.6.3.1.Image

Last edited by Kimba on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:34 pm  (#36) 
Script Coder

Okay, thank you Kimba.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 pm  (#37) 
Script Coder

JT2 how does gmic see the 'Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic' file if it's in the scripts folder?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 pm  (#38) 
Script Coder

Graechan wrote:
JT2 how does gmic see the 'Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic' file if it's in the scripts folder?

The initial declaration (at line 86 in the latest script):
(gmic-presets-filename (string-append "@{-path_gimp}" DIR-SEPARATOR "scripts" DIR-SEPARATOR "Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic"))

sets up the path-string which will be passed to the G'MIC plugin and thence the G'MIC interpreter.

[The "@{-path_gimp}" tells the G'MIC interpreter to use the setting in it's environment variable "path_gimp" as the start of the pathname; that should be automatically set to "C:\Users\<user>\.gimp-2.8" on a Windows system.]

As I said above, please try starting Gimp from console and see what messages come out when you try running the script for eg. "Hallucinogenic".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:15 pm  (#39) 
Script Coder

This is the error returned when running
Quote:
Gmic Logos-Warning: Error while executing script-fu-gmic-logos:

Error: ( : 1) Procedure execution of plug-in-gmic failed on invalid input argume
nts

GIMP-Warning: Plug-In 'Gmic Logos' left image undo in inconsistent state, closin
g open undo groups.

your reply does however give me a hint as to why it failed in my computer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:31 pm  (#40) 
Script Coder

Sorry JT2 I missed the path you set and installed in scripts/test scripts, no wonder it did not work,
problem is many people insert via script managers an in sub files of scripts portables will also give troubles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:59 pm  (#41) 
Script Coder

Why would there be a problem with portables? So long as there is a "scripts" folder in the gimp-directory it should work - even if the gimp-directory is something outlandish like "Z:\some\path\via\Timbuktoo\.gimp-oujamaflip" so long as the G'MIC environment variable "path_gimp" is set to that path (which it must be for G'MIC to work at all) and there is a "scripts" folder in that directory, then it should work.

As to the matter of script managers installing to sub-folders, I don't really see a way around that at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:03 am  (#42) 
Script Coder

JT2 by setting the path as and stipulating the installation of the presets to this new folder may be more foolproof

(gmic-presets-filename (string-append "@{-path_gimp}" DIR-SEPARATOR "gmic-presets" DIR-SEPARATOR "Gmic-Logos-presets.gmic"))

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:08 am  (#43) 
Script Coder

That would be a folder called "gmic-presets" in your main gimp-directory (ie. .gimp-2.8).
I can't see that really helps either with scripts managers installing to sub-folders or with portables.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:03 am  (#44) 
Script Coder

separating the presets from the script would make it a lot easier for installation unless the presets could be included in the script file

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 am  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

Do I need the presets file and if so, where does the presets file go? I have Windows 7. 64 Bit.

Tested out the script presets these are the ones that didn't appear or give an error:
Hallucinogenic
In the Bushes
Flowers

Last edited by mackenzieh on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:45 am  (#46) 
Script Coder

Both the .scm and the .gmic file must go in your user scripts folder - NOT the system-wide scripts folder
ie.
On Windows: C:\Users\<user>\.gimp-2.8\scripts
On Linux: /home/<user>/.gimp-2.8/scripts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:16 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

jontait2 wrote:
Both the .scm and the .gmic file must go in your user scripts folder - NOT the system-wide scripts folder
ie.
On Windows: C:\Users\<user>\.gimp-2.8\scripts
On Linux: /home/<user>/.gimp-2.8/scripts

For me on my PC, all of the presets now work through the GMIC Logos script. Thanks Jontait2. :)

Last edited by mackenzieh on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:21 am  (#48) 
Script Coder

Graechan wrote:
separating the presets from the script would make it a lot easier for installation

How so? It sounds like you're thinking of treating the .scm and .gmic as separate entities to be handled by installation managers. But if they are treated as separate entities, they can still both be installed to the normal scripts folder (surely?).

Graechan wrote:
the presets could be included in the script file

Including the presets in the script itself is a pretty horrible solution - I did have a look at that when David first suggested using a .gmic file, but there are problems:
- the entire set of presets would have to be stored in the script as one great long string (approx 60,000 characters) - which may be problematic - or broken-up into manageable units. I'm not sure whether TinyScheme does actually have a maximum string-length, but I have had problems trying to use very long strings before;

Last edited by jontait2 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:34 am  (#49) 
Script Coder

mackenzieh wrote:
Okay, got it. So, what's the process to getting the scripts to work again? Is it through GMIC or the Gmic Logo Script?

<Image> Script-Fu> Logos> Gmic logos

These filters are not available in Gimp-G'MIC itself - even after installing this script you still won't be able to invoke the presets actually used by the script manually from the G'MIC plugin's menu tree - the presets are only loaded temporarily when the script runs, and then immediately forgotten about. The next time you run Gimp G'MIC it will have no "memory" of the presets!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:53 pm  (#50) 
Script Coder

jontait2 I've decided to include 2 methods of Installation
1/ std install, placing script and gmic-presets into the user folder/scripts folder or alternately
2/ placing script into 'Script Manager' or wherever their scripts are kept and installing the 'gmic-presets folder into their user folder