It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fully-automatic noise detection (moved, closed)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:42 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Ashampoo Denoise is advertised for having a "Fully-automatic noise detection".
Being G'MIC master in denoising capabilities, I'm just wondering whether among the many and many denoising G'MIC filter there is one (or there could be one) with this capability, without the (sometimes) annoying search for the most appropriate filter and the most appropriate set of parameters. Just something which one can use by default almost sure that in the majority of the cases any noise type is detected and removed, maybe not at the same optimized level which can be reached by manually trying many combinations, but anyhow very good.
Just an idea.

Last edited by dinasset on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Fully-automatic noise detection
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:21 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

just an extract from Ashampoo advertising

DENOISE projects is the only software that can remove all seven types of image noise: luminance noise, color noise, banding, color clouding, hot pixel, salt & pepper and gaps. The newly developed noise reduction technology "smart pattern matching" will denoise your images perfectly while preserving image sharpness, colors and the finest details

Features at a glance

Fully-automatic noise detection
3 noise reduction quality levels
Selective denoising
ISO 50 up to ISO 2,000,000
Remove 7 types of image noise: luminance noise, color noise, banding, color clouding, hot pixel, salt & pepper, gaps
Custom noise reduction color spaces
Multiple view options: luminance, chromatic, color channels and noise difference
Analyze source image noise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Denoise Project from Ashampoo seems to use some sort of pattern matching software.

Quote:
DENOISE projects doesn't simply blur image defects but replaces them with surrounding image information to retain the full quality of your images.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:43 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

This software is also from this company (Franzis):

https://www.projects-software.com/denoise

scroll down, then you see there is a professional edition that is almost two times more expensive. Those differences are not immediately clear from the website.

They have very short promotion videos on youtube, so you can't have a good impression. I won't dare to spend money on that software. Other known companies have a lot of videos to explain and to show. Also with a lot of reliable companies, you can try a demo.

Why promote your software under different names? Why not immediately make clear there is a difference between normal (I think this had to be a demo, but they sell it for much money) and professional (more money)?

Be carefull to try, because they spam your email. (my own experience)

edit: Maybe I'm a little bit negative (bias). You can try without giving an email-adres, I apologize. So judge by yourself.

Last edited by iarga on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:44 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I guess G'MIC has all the capabilities of this (new) software.
What's missing IMO is a "FirstStepAnalysis" able to "understand" as much as possible which kinds of noise are embedded and then select the most appropriate (G'MIC) methodology and related parameters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:47 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

iarga, I'm not "promoting" that software (and I know Ashampoo is only selling a 3rd party SW, in this case); I only ask whether G'MIC -which I'm sure has all the necessary tools- can implement a front-end module which performs what I said above

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Yes Dinasset, I understand, but there is other known commercial software, with better demos, pricing and support. So I only warn. Maybe Franzis software is good, but their videos and their website(s) are horrible.

You want some kind of automatic noise profiling? There is something in G'MIC that is doing something like this, but you need a beast of a computer (with 24 cores or something like that). It works with pca, principal component analysis: "Smooth [patch-pca]" filter, it is very slow. (try it on 100x100 pixels or something that small first). Darktable works with noise profiling, but based on your camera. I don't know other FOSS that does noise profiling. So I'm also interested if someone knows a FOSS that does noise profiling. (and is not very slow :hehe )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:40 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

iarga wrote:
Yes Dinasset, I understand, but there is other known commercial software, with better demos, pricing and support. So I only warn. Maybe Franzis software is good, but their videos and their website(s) are horrible.

You want some kind of automatic noise profiling? There is something in G'MIC that is doing something like this, but you need a beast of a computer (with 24 cores or something like that). It works with pca, principal component analysis: "Smooth [patch-pca]" filter, it is very slow. (try it on 100x100 pixels or something that small first). Darktable works with noise profiling, but based on your camera. I don't know other FOSS that does noise profiling. So I'm also interested if someone knows a FOSS that does noise profiling. (and is not very slow :hehe )
Have a look at, ImageJ.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:44 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

does it do what I'm asking, Odin?
I'll have a look

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

there are more than one package, I'm downloading fiji package, is it the best one for this objective, Odin?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

do you know/use ImageJ, Odin?
which function should I test for this specific question: despeckle?
at the first glance I didn't see a general purpose denoise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:21 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

For imageJ I only know "puredenoise" that does some automatic profiling. But...., it is made for microscope images. So your colors will change.

http://bigwww.epfl.ch/algorithms/denoise/

And this:

Conditions of use
You'll be free to use this software for research purposes, but you must not transmit and distribute it without our consent. In addition, you undertake to include a citation whenever you present or publish results that are based on it. EPFL makes no warranties of any kind on this software and shall in no event be liable for damages of any kind in connection with the use and exploitation of this technology.

So, it's no FOSS ;)

You can find also a non local-means-denoising plugin for lmageJ, but in G'MIC there is a better one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:38 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

so, you recommend to stick on G'MIC, iarga;
this is also my preferred choice, but still a front-end is missing.
I tried the one you mentioned (the very slow one) with a very small image, but also in this case there wasn't an automatic "understanding" of what to do, and I had to play with the parameters
I like to have a filter which performs automatically the analysis of THAT input image and applies (or at least suggests) the appropriate parameters values

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I understand dinasset, you want something that is possible in "Neat Image","Photoninja" and "Noiseware". But that is commercial software. Also in that kind of software you have to tweek and finetune.

I don't know FOSS with the same capabilities. Also in free software there is not much that gives nice results. Maybe you can use the NIK-collection "DFine 2" plugin. It is "free" now. It also does automatic profiling.

There is very good noise reduction in Darktable and Rawtherapee possible also. In Darktable you can make a noise profile for your camera. But beside that, it is not automatic. (please correct me if I am wrong, dear Darktable users and developers.)

http://www.darktable.org/2012/12/profil ... ton-noise/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:39 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

thanks iarga, but just to clarify exactly what I asked:
I'm not looking for another software, I like to stick on Gimp+G'MIC, my question is:
is it possible to have a noise auto-detection filter in G'MIC which since its origin is famous for denoising filters?
it seems you are denying this possibility as being too expensive (in terms of development resources)
still no position from David so far

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:09 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Dinasset, I don't have the technical and legal (patents etcetera) knowledge to say if this would be possible in G'MIC or not. But I know it is not in G'MIC yet and also not in other FOSS. I'm not denying this possibility. I also didn't say something about it to be expensive to develop. (I only said, for one specific commercial software above, that it is too expensive). I summed up some software that is capable to do what you want.

I would also love this possibility in G'MIC, but it also has to be coded. That's something I can't do myself. So, if there are no legal issues, someone with knowledge, much spare time and interest has to be found for coding....................

Software can't make software itself, at least not something complicated as this. Not yet :) .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:43 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Dinasset, is this something you would like to have in GIMP or G'MIC?

IPOL
The Noise Clinic: a Blind Image Denoising Algorithm
Marc Lebrun, Miguel Colom, Jean-Michel Morel:
http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2015/125/
(scrolling that paper, I think it is quite complicated)

I did try this on my computer last year. Nice results, but slow. After some minutes you can change number of scales and/or sigma coëfficient. But after some images you get a feeling what to use.

Fully automate denoising is difficult. Al images are different. Also with this software there are values you can change as with all present noise reduction software.

Maybe with "deep learning" (neural networks) in the future more is possible, because then the computer will recognize different parts in the image. It will differentiate between bushes, trees, cobblestones, skin, clothes, animals etcetera. Then it can apply the right noise reduction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

thanks iarga.
I'm personally not capable even to understand this paper, but -as there is the source code- I hope someone capable of reading and compiling the code (in my case: in Windows environment too) is interested in and gives it a try.
Who knows....(David?)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:19 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

You would be surprised as to what David can accomplish with very little code involved. :)