It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Release of G'MIC 1.7.9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello friends,

I'm happy to announce the release of a new version (numbered 1.7.9) of the G'MIC image processing framework (including of course, the plug-in for GIMP).
As always, I encourage upgrading to this new version as soon as possible :owink
This version should be backward-compatible with the previous one (1.7.8), meaning that all added filters that do not use new core features of version 1.7.9 should work also with version .7.8.

Important note: This new version 1.7.9 is the last of the 1.7.x serie, so I expect it to be a long-term release. We have planed a lot of new cool features for next version 1.8.0, but this will require a lot of work before we can release (this will be a major release though).

Now, we have heavy work on our way, so I hope you'll enjoy this release ! I'll try to give you info about the on-going work done on G'MIC.
Thanks again, GIMPchat members for all your tests and feedbacks on the plug-in (dinasset, Mahvin, lylejk, iarga, gnutux, MareroQ, spacepenguin, paulmat, rich2005, and all the others I forgot !). After all those years, GIMPChat is still the place to be :yes , thanks !

What is G'MIC?

Quote:
G'MIC is a full-featured open-source framework for image processing. It provides several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, thus including 2d color images.

- G'MIC main project page : http://gmic.eu
- G'MIC plug-in for GIMP : http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml
- G'MIC web service : https://gmicol.greyc.fr/
- G'MIC language tutorial pages : http://gmic.eu/tutorial/basics.shtml

The following is the full Changelog of the version 1.7.9, as compared to the previous stable version 1.7.8.
Enjoy !

New features:

- [core] New (native) command -screen grabs a screenshot (optionally with specified coordinates), and inserts it at the end of the image list (looks like it does not work on Mac OSX).

- [gimp] New button Change layout allows to move the preview on the right, in the dialog window.

- [gimp] New filter Artistic / Highlight bloom enhances photographies by adding details and contrast. It is inspired by [link=https://pixls.us/articles/highlight-bloom-and-photoillustration-look/]this tutorial[/link] (but does not follow it strictly).

- [gimp] New filter Colors / Retro fade renders a grainy image with a only few colors from an original image.

- [gimp] New filter Artistic / Posterize is another posterization filter with nice rendering options.

- [gimp] New filter Patterns / Camouflage, renders (as its name suggests) a Camouflage pattern:

- [gimp] New filter Black & White / Colorize [auto-fill lineart] tries to auto-fill a lineart wiith random colors.

- [gimp] New filter Repair / Smooth [antialias] slightly blurs the contours of an image to add anti-alias.

- [gimp] Main dialog parameters are now persistent when the plug-in or GIMP is closed and restarted.

Improvements / Changes:

- [core] A few improvements in the embedded math parser:
- New function xor(a,b) to compute bitwise exclusive or.
- New function pseudoinv(A,_nb_colsA) computes the Moore-Penrose pseudo-invert of specified matrix A.
- New function svd(A,_nb_colsA) computes the SVD of specified matrix A.
- New function breakpoint() introduces a computation breakpoint in complex expressions with loops.
- Function mp_print() and mp_display() only print a limited number of vector components on the console, if the vector to print/display is large.
- Expression compiler has now a cache memory for constants so that specifying the same constant value twice (or more) in an expression does not duplicate it in memory.
- Multiplication operator can be now used to write matrix*vector multiplication, when size(matrix)==size(vector)^2.
- Initialization of vector variables has been optimized: memory copy is avoided when possible.
- Vector with const size (given by an expression Expr can be now defined as vectorExpr(value0,...), e.g. const N = w#0*h#0; X = vectorN(0).
- Function normP() can be invoked with P being a constant. If P is omitted the L2 norm is returned.
- Optimization of the math_lib functions thanks to newly added function draw_scanline().
- Adding a space character before a ( (for a function call) or a [ (value accessor) is now possible.
- Bug fix in the function sum() which was counting twice the first argument.

- [stdlib] Add 10 new HaldCLUTs that define new color mapping. Those CLUTs are provided by [link=http://www.digicrea.be/picturefx-v2-0/]Marc Roovers[/link] on his web page, as a part of the PictureFX pack. Thanks Marc!

- [stdlib] Command -compress_clut has been slightly improved, and should compress when desired compression compression quality is not fulfilled.

- [stdlib] Command -quiver is now implemented as a custom command (instead of a native one) and thus, can be updated via the regular command update mechanism.

- [stdlib] Command -scale_dcci2x has been recoded from scratch and is faster when multiple cores are available.

- [stdlib] Some existing commands have been renamed:
- Command -input_sample (eq. to -is), renamed to -sample (eq. to -sp).
- Command -input_clut, renamed to -clut.
- Command -input_string, renamed to -string.

- [stdlib] Command -negative recoded from scratch and renamed as -negate. An optional base_value argument can be now specified for this command.

- [stdlib] Commands -rgb2xyz, -rgb2lab, -xyz2rgb, -lab2rgb now accept arguments to choose the illuminant used for the conversion (either D50 or D65).

Bug fixes:

- [core] Fix orientation convention (correlation-like) for command -erode with an arbitrary (non-symmetrical) mask.

- [core] Standardize centering issue when dealing with mask of even sizes, in commands -dilate, -erode, -convolve, -correlate and -median.

- [core] Fix small bug to re-enable parallelism in commands -erode, -dilate, -convolve and -correlate, when a large custom mask is used.

- [core] Fix small bug and improve precision of command -resize when used with linear, cubic and lanczos interpolations.

- And as always, many fixes of minor bugs :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Release of G'MIC 1.7.9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the head's up, David. The sharpen texture preset is fixed too as you said it would be with this release. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:15 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank You David.

Small supplement about the new filters (all by Samj):

Testing > Samj > Artistic > Samj_Diff_Tensors_Blend (2016/10/30)
Patterns > Steps (2016/11/04)
Testing > Samj > Patterns > Samj Steps v2 (2016/11/14)
Testing > Samj > Patterns > Samj Variation Stained Glass (2016/11/13)
Thanks Samj.

Attachments:
ChangeLayoyt Gimp 2.9.5.png
ChangeLayoyt Gimp 2.9.5.png [ 193.55 KiB | Viewed 4905 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:59 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

Thanks David. As always, new G'MIC releases are wonderful. I look forward to them all.

I used a font with the colorize autofill lineart. Worked very nicely. I merged the black font layer down to a white one before using the filter.

http://www.1001fonts.com/chubby-dotty-font.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you David. :D
And thank you O for the chubby dotted font. I have an custom font idea for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:02 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Many thanks, David.
A lot of interesting additions, my preferred one (because of my "obsession" in creating gimp filters based on a quantization) is the new POSTERIZE, at a first glance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:09 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
:coolthup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:08 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Experiment on Posterize

Attachment:
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentPOSTERIZE.jpg
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentPOSTERIZE.jpg [ 183.49 KiB | Viewed 4833 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:13 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Experiment on GoldFX

Attachment:
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentGOLDFX.jpg
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentGOLDFX.jpg [ 231.9 KiB | Viewed 4825 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Experiment on Highlight Bloom

Attachment:
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentHIGHLIGHTBLOOM.jpg
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentHIGHLIGHTBLOOM.jpg [ 307.24 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:29 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Experiment on Solarization

Attachment:
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentSOLARIZATION.jpg
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv_GMICexperimentSOLARIZATION.jpg [ 513.81 KiB | Viewed 1752 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:19 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hi dinasset, I find the 'Highlight bloom' outcome really nice on your image !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:03 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

I would like an option to have a transparent Bkg in the new Colorize filter
Text created from dot_font (at Dafont)dot-font
Dot outline created from text
After colorize and removing Bkg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:42 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you so much David for this new version which seems to have great improvement. I can't enjoy it as I don't get to update it in my system.
I've tried several times for the 32bits version and the content is not updated, I think. Please Could you help me? Thank you so much.

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:54 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Another info, David:
the anisotropic smooth filter is NOT backward compatible with 1.7.9pre.
Until yesterday a statement like
pdb.plug_in_gmic(newImage, smooth_layer, 1,   
        "-v - -gimp_anisotropic_smoothing 60,0.3,0.3,4.5,9.0,0.8,30,2,0,1,1,0,0")

included in a python filter, was running properly
today it's rejected, likely because it requires
-gimp_smooth_anisotropic 60,0.3,0.3,4.5,9,0.8,30,2,0,1,1,0,0
instead
Can you double check David?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:50 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

You are right dinasset, there has been changes in some command names.
What I meant is that people using 1.7.8 can still get the anisotropic smoothing filter working, from the plug-in, as expected.
More generally, this is not recommended to call G'MIC commands starting whose name start with 'gimp_', because they are not intended to define a stable API.
Those commands are defining filters for the GIMP plug-in, and there are high chances that these filters evolve over time, with new parameters added or removed, or with the command name changed.
I know that script writers tends to use those commands sometimes, but there are absolutely no ways I can ensure these scripts will continue to work after each release, or even after a simple filter update.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:05 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Oh, and how should a filter (let's say a python filter) call G'MIC filters?
Any other means?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:32 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Well, that's actually a good question.
We have basically two types of commands in G'MIC :
- Those whose name starts with 'gimp_', which are intended to evolve over time, so that cannot be considered to define a stable API.
- All the others :) (whose API is relatively stable).

I'd then recommend a script writer to use only G'MIC pipelines made of calls to non '-gimp_..' commands.
(for instance, do not use '-gimp_smooth_anisotropic', but the more generic command '-smooth' instead).

Anyway, I understand you want sometimes to use '-gimp_' commands, when there are no easy equivalent as non '-gimp_...' commands. In that case, it's probably good to copy/paste the definition of the used '-gimp_..' command into a new named command (let say '-dinasset_...' for instance), and store all these used commands in a .gmic file that would be included during the G'MIC pipeline (with command '-command').
This would ensure you keep your own version of the '-gimp_...' command you are using.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I guess that sometimes it would be much simpler to have as a preprocessing phase of the gimp-gmic interface an "equivalences" table, where the old command is auto-replaced by the new one;
this would reduce impacts when:
- the old command will never be used again (that's the case of anisotropic_smoothing..., I suppose)
- the parameters remain the same (again as for anisotropic_smoothing...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:18 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Did someone else (as Issabella did) try to update the version 32bits using the .exe provided in the link?
It seems (as Issabella says) not to be updated, so that it installs again the version 1.7.8