It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it possible to apply dream smooth in batch?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:12 pm  (#1) 

Is it possible to apply a g'mic filter to a batch of images or to video? I've tried Help -> Plugin-Browser, I've tried via File -> Batch Image Manipulation and I've tried figuring it out using the g'mic language tutorial.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to apply dream smooth in batch?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:39 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

This comes up from time-to-time for images, do not know if any video editor implements a gmic plugin. You will probably need a frame-server of some sort.

However, using BIMP for a folder full of images.

Determine the G'mic command line using layer name or logfile logging for a typical image. In linux the log file is in ~/.config/gmic/gimp_log, it will be there in Windows somewhere.

Attachment:
commandline.jpg
commandline.jpg [ 138.68 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]

In BIMP search for gmic
put 1 into 'input layers mode
put the command line into the G'MIC command string << much easier to copy paste from the logfile.
then the rest of BIMP is the usual: add images, set output folder etc.

Attachment:
bimp-gmic.jpg
bimp-gmic.jpg [ 118.02 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]

example of the command string
-gimp_dreamsmooth 3,1,1,0.8,0,0.8,1,24,0

edit: Flowblade Editor uses gmic: https://jliljebl.github.io/flowblade/ linux only
AFAIK limited implementation, no dream_smoothing filter but worth keeping an eye on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:01 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

tronovan wrote:
Is it possible to apply a g'mic filter to a batch of images or to video? I've tried Help -> Plugin-Browser, I've tried via File -> Batch Image Manipulation and I've tried figuring it out using the g'mic language tutorial.

I'm no GMIC expert, but GMIC is first and foremost a command line tool. So if you can do something with GMIC as a Gimp plugin, you can do the same thing on the image using the command line version. And "batching" a command line use is what .BAT files are meant for in Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I think you would have to figure out what functions are called in gmic. Nothing directly applicable that I can see.

Originally a naggobot 'test' filter.

A bit about it down the page: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1316653@N ... 746212046/ lots of anisotropic smoothing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:44 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

A real world update.

Dream smoothing does state that it is slow...very, very, slow.

I did not think that the gimp_gmic command would work with standalone gmic but it does. Syntax is straight forward

gmic frame_num.ext -gimp_dreamsmooth 3,1,1,0.8,0,0.8,1,24,0 -o new_frame_num.ext

Unlikely but for a small sample, 10 frames BIMP was marginally faster (48 seconds) than standalone gmic in a bash file (1 min 5 secs). Speed obviously depends on computer power, this using 2.3 GHz laptop and writing to a SSD.

On that basis for anything other than a small clip will take a long, long time. 1 hour plus a bit, for 840 frames. (30 seconds)

Gives this: https://youtu.be/z4r8cP9Phmc