It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot start GMIC with GIMP 2.9
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just installed GIMP 2.9.6 for testing on my WIN 10 system. Already had 2.9.5 installed, had problems with GMIC, but ignored it.

So now I did a complete clean new installation. Deleted all old files and folders. Installed 2.9.6 WIN 64bit. Installed GMIC 2.0.3 qt WIN 64 bin into the User/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins folder.

At start, the following error message appears. (German version - I think the english term is "entry point not found")

gmic_gimp_qt.exe - Einsprungpunkt nicht gefunden
Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "FT_Get_Var_Design_Coordinates" wurde in der DLL "(MyFolder)\GIMP2.9.6\bin\libcairo-2.dll" nicht gefunden.

I am a poor ignorant end user... I am just using the given installers. What am I missing?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Cannot start GMIC with GIMP 2.9
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Freodin wrote:
Just installed GIMP 2.9.6 for testing on my WIN 10 system. Already had 2.9.5 installed, had problems with GMIC, but ignored it.

So now I did a complete clean new installation. Deleted all old files and folders. Installed 2.9.6 WIN 64bit. Installed GMIC 2.0.3 qt WIN 64 bin into the User/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins folder.

At start, the following error message appears. (German version - I think the english term is "entry point not found")

gmic_gimp_qt.exe - Einsprungpunkt nicht gefunden
Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "FT_Get_Var_Design_Coordinates" wurde in der DLL "(MyFolder)\GIMP2.9.6\bin\libcairo-2.dll" nicht gefunden.

I am a poor ignorant end user... I am just using the given installers. What am I missing?

Your mistake lies here
User/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins

Install the plug-in in this directory.
C:/Users/USERNAME/.gimp-2.9/plug-ins/GMIC Qt

You will have to create the GMIC Qt folder. Make sure there is NO other directory in the GMIC Qt folder.
Download the 64 bit ZIPPED version of G'MIC 2.0.3 and unzip it to the desktop. Now copy and paste the contents that contain the executable into the GMIC Qt folder.

START GIMP-2.9 and go to Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plug-ins and point GIMP to (or add) the GMIC Qt directory to the list there.
CLICK OK in the Preferences dialog window (bottom of the dialog window)
RESTART GIMP-2.9.
You should now have NO errors and GMIC Qt should be under the Filters menu.

NOTE: This is assuming you INSTALLED GIMP-2.9 and its NOT an portable version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Looks like it is a problem with Gimp 2.9.6

Does not matter if the gmic installer or zip is used and where the folder is situated (tried various combinations) you get lots of errors.

This a Win 7 64 bit VM

Attachment:
errors.jpg
errors.jpg [ 112.54 KiB | Viewed 7800 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:58 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You are 100% correct Rich. It works for GIMP-2.9.5 even in portables (SamJ's) but not GIMP-2.9.6.
I tried several different ways.
C:/Program Files/GIMP-2.9/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/GMIC Qt
C:/Users/Rod/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/filters/GMIC QT
C:/Users/Rod/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/plug-ins/GMIC QT (had to create the plug-ins folder BTW)
I even tried just copying all the GMIC files to the filters folder, and that didn't work either. Same error.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I also just noticed the n-point deformation tool crashes GIMP-2.9.6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:21 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

hrmmm... i replaced the cairo dl file with the one in SamJ's build and n-point works now.
I wonder if replacing the file will allow GMIC Qt to load now?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Yes that worked.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:52 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

GMIC-2.0.3 install instructions for GIMP-2.9.6 64 bit Windows 10.
Replace the libcairo-2.dll file in this directory
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.9\bin
with the one in the attached folder. SAVE the old libcairo-2.dll file just in case.

Attachment:
libcairo-2.zip [460.81 KiB]
Downloaded 689 times

Create a folder named GMIC Qt in the C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.9\filters folder.
Download the zipped version of GMIC-2.0.3 64 bit for Windows.
http://gmic.eu/files/prerelease/
Unzip the GMIC-2.0.3 folder to your desktop. It will create another folder with the files inside. COPY and PASTE ONLY the files in that folder into the new GMIC Qt folder you created above.
RESTART GIMP-2.9.6 and add the directory path to GMIC Qt to Edit /Pref/Folders/Plug-ins

RESTART GIMP-2.9.6 and the filter should load under Filters menu. After QT loads click the internet filter refresh button to add the rest of the filters to QT.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

It worked after replacing the libcairo-2.dll with the one linked. The files that the GMIC extractor placed in the PlugIns folder worked fine after that.

It seems that this library was the only problem... nothing about GMIC needing an exclusive folder.

Thank you very much for your quick help, Rod!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Freodin wrote:
It worked after replacing the libcairo-2.dll with the one linked. The files that the GMIC extractor placed in the PlugIns folder worked fine after that.

It seems that this library was the only problem... nothing about GMIC needing an exclusive folder.

Thank you very much for your quick help, Rod!

No problem. Happy to help. :)

Only reason i use the zip is because i just replace the old files in the GMIC Qt directory with the new releases.
Delete old files
Replace with new files

Seems a lot of folks were having problems with the installer before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Rod,
maybe you can notify Gimp developers about libcairo-2.dll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:36 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
Rod,
maybe you can notify Gimp developers about libcairo-2.dll

The only problem with that is the patch isn't correct. Replacing the Dynamic Link Library may disrupt other functions within GIMP-2.9.6. Besides that it is Sams compiled DLL file and other distributions may be different.

I suppose i could mention to the devs that G'MIC and the new release do not seem to be compatible with the new version of Cairo. But they will probably just say the new GIMP-10 release most definitely won't be compatible with G'MIC at all. That is unless Qt is able to work with it. And this is a pre beta release. You shouldn't use it for production. Testing purposes only.

If you want you can bug them about it. Maybe if you buy them a cup of coffee? ;) :lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:45 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Probably just needs compiling against the latest Gimp libs.

I suspect a bit easier in linux than Windows.

This Gimp 2.9.7 dev and G'mic 2.0.4 compiled this morning

To be fair to David, how many versions can be reasonably maintained.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I was just about to install Gimp 2.9.6 and I think I need to find out more about the dll issues.
I already created my new start screen for it!

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Probably just needs compiling against the latest Gimp libs.

I suspect a bit easier in linux than Windows.

This Gimp 2.9.7 dev and G'mic 2.0.4 compiled this morning

[ Image ]

To be fair to David, how many versions can be reasonably maintained.

Hey Rich does the N-Point Tool work correctly in your new GIMP-2.9.7 compile?
Seems i am still having problems with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Hey Rich does the N-Point Tool work correctly in your new GIMP-2.9.7 compile?
Seems i am still having problems with it.

Caveat - I use a portable Gimp 2.9.x (an appimage) assembled from the 'buntu otto-meier ppa. So I do not compile it.

Some of the things I found. It is called a development version for good reasons.

In Gimp 2.9.5 (last version I have is just before the 2.9.6 release) n-point-deformation and others, would crash if more than one processor is set in preferences. That seems to be cured on 2.9.7 but maybe a good idea to keep multi-threading off.

For the n-point tool, very dependant on image size and density, only really good for small images.

A 500 x 500 pix image and a n-point density setting of 15 is ok, reasonably responsive.

1000 x 1000 pix, density 20 (default value here) is not too quick in showing the grid and slow in use.
1500 x 1500 pix, density 20 is very slow & with a density setting of 50, a bit better

2000 x 2000, density setting 50 took 1.5 mins to activate, then almost unusable. With a density of 150 still took almost a minute to activate and very slow. Get impatient with the (lack of) action, start clicking mouse here-and-there and Gimp liable to freeze.

One thing I noticed, once the density value is set, no going back and changing the value without restarting Gimp.