It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Release of G'MIC 2.1.0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Dear Gimpchat friends,

A new G'MIC release is available, numbered 2.1.0.

* Changelog : https://discuss.pixls.us/t/release-of-gmic-2-1-0

* Screenshot:

Attachment:
gmic_210.png
gmic_210.png [ 654.51 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

Hope you'll enjoy it!

David.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Release of G'MIC 2.1.0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, again, for the head's up, David. Only tested it partially, but see no issues with the update. Here's to hoping for a GUI nodal interface so that I can make my own presets (since coder I'm not, but have had some of experience with node module creation; much easier for a simpleton like me. lol).

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Lyle, you should really try to read the G'MIC scripting tutorial here : http://gmic.eu/tutorial/basics.shtml
This is definitely not so hard to understand, even for a non-coder, and is definitely more powerful than creating a graph of processing nodes :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you so much David.

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Ronounours.
Works well on my machine. Obviously the outcome is different than the preview as the view isn't 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Salut David,

There's some talk about g'mic in the Dutch Ubuntu forum.

A Debian Sid user says that the latest version of g'mic for Gimp on his platform is 1.7.9. He is unable to install any newer version. Are you aware of this problem? Is this library related perhaps? Is it Debian? Is there any solution for him?
According to this site 1.7.9 is the last version indeed.
https://packages.debian.org/sid/gimp-gmic

Another Xubuntu 17.04 user (me, incidentally) is unable to get a version newer than 2.0.0. The Qt versions simply do not show up, while the gtk version does. Is this because Xubuntu walks behind in regard of support for Qt5? Or is the fact that I use Gimp 2.9.7 (via Thorsten's well-known ppa) the deal breaker? Are you or any other knowledgeable person aware of a workaround for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards, Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hello paulmat,

Yes, the packages available for Debian are just very old. I can't do much about that.
Request for updates must be send to the package manager probably :)

About the issue of XUbuntu : I've no ideas, but in any case, the G'MIC plug-in should be present in the Thorsten's PPA, so maybe you should install it from there ?
Another solution is to compile it from the current git master, it's not that complicated, particularly on Ubuntu, where detailed instructions can be followed here : http://gmic.eu/download.shtml#source

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

In addition

The problem is using packages from (whatever) distro repository. Guaranteed to work but not always the latest version.
Then it is the matter of preference. Do you want gmic-gimp in your root folder or in your Gimp profile? I am a strong believer that any user-installed plugins go in your Gimp profile where they are easy to reach.

Your Debian user should definitely try the one of the older linux zip archives from http://www.gmic.eu Uninstall existing, unzip for the gmic-gimp file. Very probably stuck with the GTK version but as an example, this is my Acer C720 netbook Bodhi linux (32 bit) with gmic 2.0.3 screenshot https://i.imgur.com/O32nQ4w.jpg No QT on this one ;)

For your Gimp 2.9.7 and xubuntu why not install QT5, just done it in a xubuntu 16.04 VM Looks like this : gmic_gimp_qt for 2.9 compiled yesterday. https://i.imgur.com/ekWtQvt.jpg

I stopped compiling the GTK version, but this one gmic_gimp_gtk for 2.9 version 2.0.3 https://i.imgur.com/JlgCK4t.jpg

both seem to work ok. The 2.9 versions zipped if you want to try them.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... EujHTbU4vV

or just use the official 2.8 zips from David, they work in Gimp 2.9

Both go in ~/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins Remember to check the permissions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

David Ronounours and rich2005 (you're still very young, aren't you? ;)) thanks for your reactions. I tried to compile g'mic for Gimp several times, but that ended up with error messages in my terminal. I'll post them tomorrow.

@rich, I remember you helped me out before with a compiled version that worked very well. I have a Gimp 2.9.x from Torsten's ppa, as mentioned earlier. So this does not come from any repo.

About the place where G'mic is installed - I don't care as long as it works.

I'll forward your Debian remarks to the user involved, thanks in advance in his place!

On Qt5, I installed already some packages but perhaps I missed a main one. Again, I'll have another look tomorrow -- before trying your precompiled packages! Last time they worked very well but I simply want to find out what the problem is with my system, so that I can download the latest (prerelease) gmic-gimp versions as I did before.

I'll post feedback whenever there's something to post!

Thanks to both of you,
Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...On Qt5, I installed already some packages but perhaps I missed a main one.

This might assist for xubuntu. The synaptic history log. Selected libqt53dcore5 for installation. All the rest were pulled in as dependencies. That got the gmic_gimp_qt working here.

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/xmqBgJq.jpg

For compiling, (I use Kubuntu 16.04) obviously gimp, qt5, + other dev packages required.

----------------
Edit:
The gmic_gimp_qt 2.1.0 might be the only option at the moment if you need the latest.
I just compiled the gtk against the Gimp 2.9 libs and while the interface shows the filters do nothing.

This using my regular Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit
Downloaded the regular gmic_gimp_gtk 2.1.0 version (7,441,304 B) from www.gmic.eu and the same issue both in Gimp 2.8.22 and Gimp 2.9.7

Downloaded the previous gmic_gimp_gtk 2.0.4 version (7,433,272 B) and that works fine both in Gimp 2.8.22 and Gimp 2.9.7

Could just be my installation - do not know

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hello rich,

I installed libqt53dcore5 as that was not present on my system. Other dependencies were not pulled in, I guess because they are already on my system. But when I say $ make gimp after cloning from git, it stops with an error saying
Project ERROR: gimp-2.0 development package not found
I don't know what package that is, I do have libgimp2.0-dev and libglib2.0-dev. Searching for gimp does not show any other gimp dev packages. So I'm stuck again!

Thanks for your help anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, I'm making progress on my Xubuntu 17.04 system. I found out that I must install the gmic-gimp plugin in another place. Instead of the usual ~/config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins it has to be placed in /usr/share/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/.

I found that out with your qt plugin rich, that I downloaded. Then I went to gmic.eu to get the latest stable release 2.1.0 and installed it in named /usr/share dir. That works as well, except that the title in the menubar says v2.0.4.

Am I right in thinking that the Reset button in each filter has gone? I often use that!
EDIT. I found it, it's the little Undo button on top of the filters!

Attachments:
'MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.9 - Linux 64 bits - 2.0.4_001.crop.jpg
'MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.9 - Linux 64 bits - 2.0.4_001.crop.jpg [ 95.77 KiB | Viewed 2420 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

For compiling: You will need more dev packages: Start with qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools then see if more dependency warnings crop up.

but a lot simpler if you use a Gimp 2.8 gmic_gimp_qt zip archive from gmic.eu

I still think user plugins are better in your Gimp profile, but it is up to you. For a plugin that updates frequently what is easier.
Delving into root and /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ with possibly deleting something vital or
/.config/GIMP/2.9/plugins

What is /usr/share/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ used for ????

Linux or Windows, Gimp 2.anything, the default locations are in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders

Attachment:
folders.jpg
folders.jpg [ 72.21 KiB | Viewed 2417 times ]

Still you got something working, so good for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

There is indeed a bug with the GTK flavor of the 2.1.0 version..
I'm investigating, but I'll probably release a quick fix, 2.1.1 today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Bug found, and fixed.
I'm releasing source packages for new minor version 2.1.1, they should be available soon.
Updated binaries will be available tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:49 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Didn't know you were still supporting GTK, David. I've decided to go out out QT (got rid of my GTK) since most of the filter authors that use G'MIC have updated their presets to work with QT. Still, cool that you are supporting GTK. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Didn't know you were still supporting GTK, David. I've decided to go out out QT (got rid of my GTK) since most of the filter authors that use G'MIC have updated their presets to work with QT. Still, cool that you are supporting GTK. :)

David said he would try and keep the GTK version (if possible) for users with older linux machines.

The Windows gmic_gimp_qt unzipped runs to 53 MB of files. The linux plugin, one file - 7 MB but linux users do not get off free. The qt5 dependencies run to about 30 MB on disk so running into 'do I want/ can I' install this. My linux netbook, I try and keep as compact as possible. The 32 GB SSD has 8 GB root( OS files-40% free) 10GB Home (user files - 80 % free) the balance for Data.

But everything there, Gimp & Inkscape, Web browsers, A word processor, all sorts of utilities, a few old games-scrabble etc. A great little (emphasis on little) machine.

Really appreciate the gtk version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Testing Ultrawarp+++ in G'MIC 2.1.0 (Windows 10/Gimp 2.8.22) and I get the error message:

***Error in ./fx_ultrawarpplusplusplus/*repeat/ac/_apply_channels/*repeat/*local/*** Unknown command or filename '_ac_backward[0]'.

Apart from that everything is seeming just fine, thanks very much :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:29 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Fixed.
Thanks for reporting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Ronounours wrote:
Fixed.
Thanks for reporting.

Thank you for fixing it so rapidly!