It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to make G'MIC runs faster?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:36 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everyone,

I install G'MIC-Qt 2.5.7 in GIMP 2.10.10 (operating system is Windows 10). In my image editing process, I use a lot of Smooth [wavelets] filter. I notice that it runs slowly (like 1 minute for 24 MB tif images). I just want to know, is there any way to make it run faster? Does it help if I increase the RAM or something? Or maybe do you guys know another noise reduction filter in GIMP that has the same quality but runs faster? Thank you for your help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to make G'MIC runs faster?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:57 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

You might want to contact G'mic developer on this. It may not be optimized for your system. It's not too slow here, but I'm running Linux and it's usually faster than windows.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

hanciong wrote:
Hello everyone,

I install G'MIC-Qt 2.5.7 in GIMP 2.10.10 (operating system is Windows 10). In my image editing process, I use a lot of Smooth [wavelets] filter. I notice that it runs slowly (like 1 minute for 24 MB tif images). I just want to know, is there any way to make it run faster? Does it help if I increase the RAM or something? Or maybe do you guys know another noise reduction filter in GIMP that has the same quality but runs faster? Thank you for your help.

Hard to tell without hard data. Use your performance monitor.

If the CPU maxes out while the filter runs, then you have a problem of CPU (and nothing will help, short of changing the CPU).

If you RAM is all used and you have significant swapping, then either get more RAM, or close a few RAM-hungry apps (browsers...).

If the RAM doesn't seem all used but there is some disk I/O, check in Gimp Edit>Preferences>System resources that the "Tile cache size" is set to something adequate (at least half your RAM is you aren't too RAM-constrained).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:47 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I ran that filter on a few images today, most were 1920x1080. It took about 5 seconds to complete here on my desktop (i7) with 12 GB RAM running Linux Mint 19.3 - Gimp 2.10.12 and G'mic 2.8.0.

In my tests, it's all CPU and very little RAM is used by this filter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:47 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
racer-x wrote:
I ran that filter on a few images today, most were 1920x1080. It took about 5 seconds to complete here on my desktop (i7) with 12 GB RAM running Linux Mint 19.3 - Gimp 2.10.12 and G'mic 2.8.0.

In my tests, it's all CPU and very little RAM is used by this filter.

This has me wondering.
What processor the op is running?

:puzzled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Hanciong.

In addition to the computer parameters, the G'MIC version is also important.
Other users say that G'mic 2.8.1 improves performance (especially for Windows - because Linux doesn't have these problems) and is much faster than very old 2.5.7 (which You use ???).

Slava
Ukraini!