It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ***solved*** GMIC has Flatpak support! But a few things missing/broken
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello, it's been a long time since I've wandered the Gimp forums looking for answers.
I use Linux Mint, and was never able to get Gimp 2.10 and GMIC to work correctly despite following all the many instructions provided by Rich and others.
I would keep checking back, just to see if a fix was made, and the other day I find that GMIC has added flatpak, and that it runs on the flatpak install
of GIMP 2.10. Almost everything seems to be ok, except:

I ran internet update from within GMIC, and forced a download of the 1GB in filters from GMIC as well.
The directory GMIC is using is the same as it was in 2.8, in fact I'm very impressed with just how much of my 2.8 install survived in the upgrade.

Simulate Film for GMIC, the one that contains all the camera presets, appears in the list, but the filters no longer work.
I can survive without that, I just enjoyed playing with old film looks.

This one I use quite a lot, so losing it is more annoying. The Color Presets contain LUTs/color filters from many contributors, hundreds of them. It's a great feature.
This one is completely missing. I tried searching thinking it may have been renamed:

Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to get these working with Flatpak? I know flatpak is a self-contained sandbox, but you can add flags to the flatpak (flatpak-run --file-system=...) command to allow access to certain directories for this kind of thing. I've done that with other applications. Or is this a greater problem, like python doesn't work right in the flatpak install of GIMP 2.10?

Thank you!

P.S. Dark mode for GMIC 2.10 2.9.* out there yet? :cool

Last edited by bolete2 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GMIC has Flatpak support! But a few things missing/broken
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Do you mean Gimp 2.10? Latest stable version of GMIC out is 2.9.1 and prelease is 2.9.2
Mine is a dark grey and it is only the 2.8.3 version

Oh and yes the 2.10 gimp is dark if you dont selct a lighter theme

Don't know what you get with Linux that windows users don't get but I haven't got the film simulation package.
Quite a few things have changed names or been put into different categories now. There is a search bar at the top of your GMIC to look for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, thank you, I meant GMIC 2.9... I imagine this mistake is NEVER made. :)
I did search for colors, presets, LUTs... I looked in all the logical places.
I appreciate the reply. The theme system is a little different from Linux. GIMP has a dark theme, but GMIC is blazingly white, as Flatpak manages stuff differently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

bolete2 wrote:
Yes, thank you, I meant GMIC 2.9... I imagine this mistake is NEVER made. :)
I did search for colors, presets, LUTs... I looked in all the logical places.
I appreciate the reply. The theme system is a little different from Linux. GIMP has a dark theme, but GMIC is blazingly white, as Flatpak manages stuff differently.

I had another look and I do have Simulate film. The luts are at the bottom. (I rarely use it myself so I think I have only looked once since getting this one and haven't seen it. I need to update but am scared of breaking what isn't broken.

That mistake is made quite often, don't think your the only one to do it. That's why it is so easy to assume what you meant. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I can not see those problems in this LinuxMint 20 (VM) + flatpak Gimp 2.10.20 + flatpak gmic 2.91

One thing from your screenshot: The gmic filters are now 541 Have you up-dated ? Another thing, if you installed with your old Gimp profiles still inplace, then same as any Gimp it will try and migrate your old settings to the new user Gimp profile, which might have an effect.

No problems with python here. heal-selection.py (with resynthesizer plugin) works ok. Not using the flatpak one.

The flatpak gmic_gimp_qt has its own profile in ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/gmic Have a look, see if it is anything like this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/X5xwjky.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I've given up on Flatpaks long ago. They are a total waste of HDD space in my opinion. A far better solution is to run Gimp Appimage instead. You can get the latest G'mic to run in appimage too.

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-pl ... continuous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
One thing from your screenshot: The gmic filters are now 541 Have you up-dated ?

Yes, I ran the internet updater at the bottom of the GMIC window, all filters updated. I also force downloaded
the 1GB of additional content visible in the About tab.
Quote:
Another thing, if you installed with your old Gimp profiles still inplace, then same as any Gimp it will try and migrate your old settings to the new user Gimp profile, which might have an effect.

That's possible. I will try removing all 2.8 config stuff. Flatpak and Appimage are supposed to make things work together, but there's always something not synching right. I'm thankful for them anyway, beats broken dependencies anyday.
Quote:
Another thing, if you installed with your old Gimp profiles still inplace, then same as any Gimp it will try and migrate your old settings to the new user Gimp profile, which might have an effect.

I noticed that FxFoundry suddenly had some missing features too, though that may be because its a compilation of scripts and some of them just don't carry over to the new 2.10.
Quote:
The flatpak gmic_gimp_qt has its own profile in ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/gmic Have a look, see if it is anything like this screenshot:

I figure this is probably some directory or profile config de-synching, like it's reading from two different places? I will try a fresh install of GIMP 2.10...
Thank you for the tips, I think a fresh install may do it...

Quote:
I've given up on Flatpaks long ago. They are a total waste of HDD space in my opinion. A far better solution is to run Gimp Appimage instead. You can get the latest G'mic to run in appimage too.

I have had bad experiences with both. I'm running Flatpaks of: Kdenlive, Hexchat, Okular, Libreoffice, Discord and Avidemux, and they all work fine, though they've been patched a lot from their original buggy releases. I will try the appimage though, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:07 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I finally decided to try latest Gimp AppImage on Xubuntu 20.04 because of the dropped python2 support.
AppImage G'mic is 2.9.2 and it found automatically ./config/gmic folder that was left from the Ubuntu software Gimp.
Then I just copied all user files from my MX Linux, everything seems to work okay so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:02 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I think you may not have updated your Mint to the latest 'long term support' (20.04) Ubuntu version.
The deb from the G'MIC site works well with the installed Gimp 2.10x.

I agree appimages are better than flatpacks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:57 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I just installed appimage version through above links at github.
- Color Presets show up and work
- Film Emulation (now under Color filters where it should be) work
- Dark theme was loaded from my profile. FYI there's a little Settings button tucked in the lower left of the flatpak GMIC window where
one can load in a dark scheme, but... blah.

You are all right in this case, the Appimage install was completely smooth and it imported all of my plugins and settings.

Quote:
I think you may not have updated your Mint to the latest 'long term support' (20.04) Ubuntu version.

This is correct, and I would have resorted to finally jumping to 19.3. I run on 18.3 Sylvia still, because everything works, and I wasn't too
happy with how many broken things there were with 19.1. I will probably jump to the next version when all dev support is dropped for 18.3, which is coming up fast; April 2021.