It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: super resolution comparison, median seamless
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:46 am  (#1) 

Hi,

I am new to GMIC after learning of Super resolution.

After two trials with 8-10 layers to merge it seems the seamless filter, although three times slower, gives a much better colour resolution than the median AND surprisingly a smaller file size. Camera used Lumix TZ90, jpg, 16:9.

The median filter gave the trial image washed out colours and more brightness than the seamless filter.

Median filter, 19MB
Seamless filter, 17MB, same active layers used
Have the more experienced super resolutioners the same experience?

I forgot the workflow. Load in GIMP, GMIC align, scale 200%, use filter, export new jpg

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: super resolution comparison, median seamless
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Don't know what you mean by super resolution so maybe I am not. Have you tried here https://pixls.us/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It's a newer, more complex resampling method to upscale images.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2021/ ... ution.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:44 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg wrote:
It's a newer, more complex resampling method to upscale images.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2021/ ... ution.html

There is a super-resolution filter in the gimp-ml plugin. As the adobe article it is for upscaling. You do need a super computer as well, very slow on my old desktop with anything other than a small image. This comparison using a regular Gimp noHalo upscale and the gimp-ml super-resolution. A marginal improvement with a x4 upscale other than the edges of the lettering which are sharper.

Attachment:
01.png
01.png [ 59.18 KiB | Viewed 3078 times ]

What the OP is referring to is this: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/07276 ... any-camera (Do not be put off by that title, it is about super-resolution)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:58 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

In the rare occasion I need to up-sample, I just use needi3 plugin in AviSynth. It works very well for this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 am  (#6) 

Quote:
What the OP is referring to is this: (The dpreview link was here but it was too spamy for me use it in the quote) Do not be put off by that title, it is about super-resolution)

It was not that I was referring too, but all roads leads to super resolution.

I have been trying to decide if an S1R or A7RIV would be useful to create 187/240MP images, but northrup mentioned he had great difficulties getting good results, so I stumbled upon this video
___not link as system warns its too spamy for a new user to post external links so utube video: 2QW9vcnb9c0

which used old photoshop technology (probably some version of that algorithm both sony and panasonic uses in body) to average out several images into one larger. Having used GIMP earlier and thinking I could extend the life of my 24MP travel camera I found GMIC.

Experimental images today showed that any rotation in or out, camera shift left to right are deadly. I have tried rotating layers before filtering with some success. Some details are lost and others are gained between original images and filtered GMIC seamless fix.

For instance in the image below, most details are better in the modified image, but the house number in the back is worse in the seamless as are the logs in the center. Tree branches however are better modified than any original image.
Could not post other links, but this worked https://postimg.cc/4KV0jy0k