It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verbose Layer Name not available in 2.9.6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

What happened to Verbose Layer Name output?
Updated from 2.9.4 to 2.9.6 and apparently it's gone. It was very useful feature in my opinion.

Attachment:
Verbose-Layer-Name.png
Verbose-Layer-Name.png [ 85.69 KiB | Viewed 9291 times ]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Verbose Layer Name not available in 2.9.6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Some changes to the gimp-gmic-qt interface came in back end of version 2.9.5 which might have resulted in that entry missing (or maybe not).

There is a new - save command to clipboard function. Very useful if you use those commands in your own script. This a new compile 2.9.6 (linux 'buntu 18.04 / gimp 2.10.22) as of today.

Attachment:
01-clipboard.jpg
01-clipboard.jpg [ 168.71 KiB | Viewed 9264 times ]

..and of course you can use that to manually edit the layer name if you want. ;)

Attachment:
02-clipboard.jpg
02-clipboard.jpg [ 209.03 KiB | Viewed 9264 times ]

....but why not ask David Tschumperlé for a reinstaement of that option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Some changes to the gimp-gmic-qt interface came in back end of version 2.9.5 which might have resulted in that entry missing (or maybe not).
There is a new - save command to clipboard function.

Clipboard copy works as well, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, we have indeed noticed that it was more useful to have a 'Copy command to clipboard' button directly visible on the filter window rather than hidden in the Settings.
Also, modifying the layer name may have some impact on how some filters behave in the plug-in, so we'd like to avoid any potentially strange behaviors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:38 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for clarification.
The reason I liked the verbose layer name, was because you could instantly see the custom-renamed favorite in the beginning of the layer name. This isn't affecting my workflows in any way so I'm g'miccing as happy as ever.
:yr :rocknod

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:34 pm  (#6) 

This honestly really sucks.
Finding this feature was a real time-saver, and now you've removed it???
Seriously, this is just an absolute pain in the butt. I don't care about the exact command, but still having the information of what filter was run through automatically in the name was perfect, maybe even some settings would be good so we could recreate the filter if need be, even just the NAME of the filter used at minimum would still help, now I have to constantly rename everything again, it's a massive pain.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:00 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I will miss this feature as I rely on it too. I have not upgraded yet so currently I can run a filter many times and so long as it outputs to a new layer I don't need to to keep track of what I've done. Then after a lot of tries I can just keep the best layers knowing that the effect will be reproducible in future. I even copy the layer name into the shell when running gmic directly. I don't think a save command/settings to clipboard function will compensate for this as I won't know which one matches which outcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Well I'm still getting verbose layer names on whatever version I am running right now.

Like others above, I would hate to loose this facility as it really helps in choosing the most effective outcome to apply/adjust for effect.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:35 am  (#9) 

teapot wrote:
I don't think a save command/settings to clipboard function will compensate for this as I won't know which one matches which outcome.

Don't get me wrong - As a programmer myself, I understand why they removed it, and obviously agree with their reasoning behind it and would like to thank them for having the foresight to at least still give us access to that command, and while I'm saying that, I love this product, it's one of my favs. I probably came off a little harsh earlier, I didn't mean to. Please understand that I've been a fan of G'MIC for years now and I am very thankful for it.

My largest gripe atm is that lack of name change, I feel like I'm doing more typing then graphic work. This feature literally obliterated that need for me and let me just sit and be crafty, it was great. As far as having the EXACT command in the layer name, it was like a 'relief' that I always knew how to recreate that layer if I needed to. I've also used it many times while making python scripts as well. So for me, although a minor annoyance, how they have it now is fine for me for the most part, but that layer name change is a simple fix and it would just make it so much easier again.

However, with all that aside. I absolutely see your point. And it's a big one, a quite serious one compared to my own complaints, but my complaints are easy to fix. You've made a good point for why we all really want/need them to put this feature back again, and I mean, exactly how it was, just fixed obviously. I don't think this is likely to cause me a headache, but I can program and use python to do much more, but for the average person who can't do that, and rely on their software to help them, I can see this as being a major issue for many.

Ultimately, I just hope they don't give up on this, I feel it's important that they know how much this feature was used and loved by their users.

It's one of those things that you set and forget, but it changes your entire experience with the product from being an utter pain, to being blissful perfection. I'm sure that it isn't everyone who will have a gripe about this, but clearly some of us do. I responded to this older post because it was the only result I could find related on google, and already there have been responses to it. I'm obviously not the only one greatly saddened by this change and I just want the designers to know that, in truth, they probably already do, but I'm adding my two cents to the pile to show support in hopes that someone who can make this change happen sees it and encourages them to keep pushing for a better outcome than what we're left with at the moment, this feature will be missed, very painfully by many I think.