It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rectangular Tiling G'MIC-QT Filter
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:56 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just uploaded. Should be available with a gmic-qt update in a little while. Tested for G'MIC-qt 2.9.7

Testing -> Gmic Tutorials -> Rectangular Tiling :
Generate a mosaic from an image. Works best with line art cartoons with flat color.
Tile Size = float(1.0,0.05,5.0)
Disrupt Orientation = float(5.0,0.0,10.0)
Spread Tiles Apart = float(1.5,0.25,5.0)
Fill Holes = bool(1)
Color Count = int(4,2,32)
Flat Color = bool(0)
Light Angle = float(45.0,-180,180)
Soften Lighting = float(0.5,0.0,5.0)

Grew out of this discuss.pixls.us discussion:
Deformation (warped fill)

Some play images and results at discuss.pixl.us/G'MIC
G'MIC - Tutorial Fragments

Works best with cartoonish subjects:

Example: Rectangular Tiling, post-filtered by PhotoComix Colored Pencils
Tile Size: 0.4
Disrupt Orientation: 0
Spread Tiles Apart; 0.9
Fill Holes: Checked on
Color Count: 17
Flat Color: Checked on

Follow on with PhotoComix Artistic -> Colored Pencils:
Size: 1.3
Amplitude: 50
Quantize Colors: 20
Color Smoothness: 2
Mixer Mode: Hard Light
Color Intensity: 1

Have fun. Post any questions here.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Rectangular Tiling G'MIC-QT Filter
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:20 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks a lot Garry.

My first try (I'll have to play with parameters).

Attachment:
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-first-try.jpg
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-first-try.jpg [ 980.61 KiB | Viewed 2775 times ]

Last edited by dinasset on Sun May 30, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

My second try, after a preliminary "posterize"

Attachment:
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-second-try.jpg
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-second-try.jpg [ 822.91 KiB | Viewed 2771 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

My third attempt, still with a preliminary posterize.

Attachment:
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-third-try.jpg
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_my-third-try.jpg [ 586.03 KiB | Viewed 2771 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:24 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

IMO the "fill holes" requires a better implementation (when "on"), often the holes are filled with too dark colour values with respect to the area colour.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:41 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Not showing up iny G'MIC even after refresh. Use 2.9.7. Is this CLI only? The results you and Diego show look pretty good. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:44 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I have G'mic 2.9.8 and after refresh it's there.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

:wvy mother's day today :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:55 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Something weird:
On an image, I do the filter with the parameters set in fave and if I start again a few minutes later with the same source image and same parameters, I get a different result.????

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:26 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Created my first Mosaic Garry style filter.
For those who like to test (the parameters have been chosen at my taste, but if someone wants to know them I can post them also).
For some (just a few) sources it could be interesting activate equalize.
The number of colours parameters is NOT for Garry's filter, but for the on top Posterized layer.

The filter:
Attachment:
DIEGO_MOSAIC_GARRY_A.7z [1.87 KiB]
Downloaded 92 times

One outcome:
Attachment:
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_Garry-A using 12 colours.jpg
pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3760627_1800x1200_Garry-A using 12 colours.jpg [ 334.91 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:21 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Goodness. During my G'MIC hibernation (Four years? Really?), I had forgotten about the experimental enthusiasms of the GimpChat crowd. Thank you all for all your examples. It is very useful to me to see how the script performs under the hands of others. Addressing some of your particular remarks:

Lyle: Not showing up iny G'MIC even after refresh. Use 2.9.7.

My bad. I forget that when we script/plug-in authors commit a new script or plug-in to the gmic-community code repository, it is initially only available to those who have migrated to the bleeding-edge pre-release version, currently 2.98-prerelease. For those using 2.9.7, such as yourself, the plug-in will not be a part of the update file — even when you deliberately press the circular arrow button at the bottom of the gmic-qt dialog box. For those using 2.9.7 and earlier, Testing -> Gmic Tutorials -> Rectangular Tiling won't appear. This is good policy, on the whole, because even when plug-in authors have the best intentions (I have only the best intentions! :) ) mistakes can happen on the early releases (me?!? mistakes?? NEVER!!!! :hehe (then, why am I writing this post? :( )) and production users of 2.9.7 should not have to suffer these.

I don't believe I can post the relevant script files here without triggering a GimpChat Security Alert. For the adventurous among you, — there are a few — these can be obtained from the release announcement at Post 51: G’MIC Tutorial Fragments. There is a "Hide Detail" drop-down at the bottom of the post. Expand it and copy the revealed text into your user.gmic file. For Windows folk, that usually resolves to something like C:\Users\<yourwindowsaccountname>\AppData\Roaming\user.gmic, where you replace <yourwindowsaccountname> with your Windows user account name (without angle brackets, no quotes). Note: "usually," because your specific Windows installation may vary from the norm. On Windows 10, you may paste the Windows symbolic name %AppData% in the search bar and File Explorer will open the relevant folder for you. See Where to Find the AppData Folder in Windows 10 by Vijit Ail. Linux and MacOS users would append the revealed text to their $HOME/.gmic file. Make a backup of your gmic user file first, just in case mistakes happen. If you don't have a user.gmic .gmic, then create one from scratch to contain the revealed text. You now have your very first personal G'MIC command. When 2.98 goes into production, remove this revealed text; the 2.9.8 production version will likely have an updated tiling script.

dinasset: Thank you for the python/Gimp plug-in wrapper (DIEGO_MOSAIC_GARRY_A.7z). Alas! I don't think it will help Lyle or anyone else with 2.9.7 or earlier - the code calls pdb.plug_in_gmic_qt(GarryA_Image, GarryA_BG, 1,2 , "-v - -_rec_tileit 0.2975,10,0.25,1,32,1,0,0 "), the last parameter being a G'MIC command line that references -_rec_tileit — and that is part of the gtutor_tileit package that is not available in updates for 2.9.7 and earlier. A noble effort. Thank you, sir, but I fear that the adventurous among you will still need to trek over to the watering hole I mentioned above. Sorry for the inconvenience.

level_0: I get a different result.????

Probably. The Disrupt Orientation widget references a random number generator and there is no telling at what random number that generator starts. It can be asked to start at a specific point in the generator cycle, thereby giving rise to reproducible results. On the current release, I'm not asking, being predisposed to variety in life. I could put in a "seed" field in the UI, though I try to keep UI's as free of gadgets as possible — I get quirky if there are more than seven or eight things to adjust on a plug-in, and with this I'm at that limit already. Do you really want one? Dinasset will fine me fifty euros if the UI gets too cluttered ( :hit ). Or I could internally fix the seed and everyone has reproducible results; perhaps no one would notice — or care much.

I am charmed by the Mother-and-Child rendition, by the way. Thank you.

dinasset: "often the holes are filled with too dark colour values with respect to the area colour."

There are color shifts when a photographic source also has an alpha channel. In any case, I agree that holes/hole-filling could use some work, but I am not sure when. I don't have full grasp of the nature of that color shift yet. And - as you know - there is precious little scripting documentation. That's my row I've got to hoe.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:20 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for your explanation,grosood. :)
I had intervened because when I find an interesting effect,I like to put it in fave,especially when I spend a lot of time in the settings of the parameters but in this filter,there is not much,so no problem.Since my arrival on CC,I had seen your name several times (and in particular for the Hedcut effect) but never recent passages and I thought that you were dead...so I am happy to see you back here. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:31 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Appreciate the followup Grosood. Suspected as much once I saw Diego's comment. Might update G'MIC soon; just plain too lazy on my VaCa to do so now. lolololololol

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:21 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Interesting! I created the .gmc and .user.gmic files and copied the filter to them, using a mac with 2.7.3 (too tired to rebuild gmic-qt). On real life images, small tile size and the lowest "Spread files apart" setting works best. Thank you for the cool filter, Gary!

Pssssttt... Lyle do it the easy way (shhhh...)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:21 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Gary's preset does look cool, but have no plans on getting rid of Dr. Blasi's Java Script or my Mosaic Tiler Helper Script-fu (forgot the guy's name but he is the map guy; bad with names and don't want to open the GIMP up since it takes over 30 seconds to launch on my aging PC; lol) any time soon, Mahvin. :)

edit:

Rob A; how did I ever forget Rob? lol
Don't believe he's posted of recent; maybe a thread can be started for Rob. I'm not the guy to host such a thread; just glad I took today off as my Holiday, since I'll again be busy on the days I suppose to be off (work for a co-worker tomorrow and the 2 following days after, my part-time job). lol

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:21 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Rob is still around on the internet via email, he's just been too busy managing real life. I email him from time to time to see how he is doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:57 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

:bigthup Mahvin. Say hi from us all next time you do :)