It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing Gmic-Qt Standalone 3.1
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

The latest G'MIC has a standalone version that installs with the Gimp version on Ubuntu 22.04. I did some tests and this is what I found.

It only opens one file at a time because there is no Gimp Layers to start with. You cannot select multiple files with shift or ctrl key because it will just open one at a time. Fair enough. I use G'MIC for processing video frames on the command line to escape Gimps 'memory wall'. By making GMIC-Qt 'open in terminal' you can capture whatever command the filter produced.

I add this to a batch script and process many frames with the G'MIC cli (command line interface). Cli also comes with a G'MIC Gimp install. I'm a Reptorian fan and used Channel overblur on 360 frames. It worked well.

I also tested Vibrato but it didn't work in cli, v3.1 or v3.1.1. It does work on the Standalone and you can save the processed image (above). With 360 files this is a bit too time consuming. Vibrato was written in 2019 so it's amazing it works at all. I'm not pushing Reptorian to update it because some script coders have busy lives :)

BTW. Some UTubers say this is the quietest time of the year online (April, May, June) It has to do with the season in the N Hemisphere. Here it's getting cold and more time to do graphics :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Testing Gmic-Qt Standalone 3.1
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:01 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
Vibrato was written in 2019 so it's amazing it works at all.

It was written before 2019 (About Sep 23, '18 6:38 PM). My very first released script. Very little maintenance. Since you're using it, a massive update is planned. Same to Channel Overblur. But, I cannot say whether I'll be able to address these soon.

Tas_mania wrote:
I'm not pushing Reptorian to update it because some script coders have busy lives :)

Thank you, that is appreciated. I also have other things to update, and I'm on updating scripts.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:01 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I wonder if it will work with mac version. I would love to give it a go

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:59 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Reptorian, I can see from pixls.us you are updating filters. I found Vibrato works well on metallic objects like car bodies.

G'MIC standalone doesn't open xcf files, only image files. On Ubuntu 22-04 the standalone is part of the full package listed as 'all interfaces'.

akky - you will need to DIY I think :)
Trivia?
Apple more valuable than the combined values of Boeing, Coca-Cola, Disney, Exxon-Mobil, McDonald’s, Netflix and Walmart

Some economists regard that as a big bubble about to go......

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:45 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

akky wrote:
I wonder if it will work with mac version. I would love to give it a go

I can get it to work on command line on Catalina, but for a stable version running on OS it is counter-intuitive, and you'd need to be able to hack to get a more recent version of GMIC, which doesn't promise it will work effectively, depending on what version you are using. I can't speak for the newer versions, which also indicates I need to upgrade from my old system. Not sure I want to, seeing how complicated Apple has made the system security with updates continually undoing every hack you've made through Catalina. It's totally frustrating. The only successful hack with GMIC was done using MacPorts. Everything else was a waste of time. I realize everything has a learning curve, but the one thing I've learned is that it never hurts to try.