It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: About the next G'MIC surprise
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

David, too much of a surprise .. my eyebrows fell off .. are you roughly solving a PDE in patch-space?

Anyway, amazing, looking forward to that on windoze.

A single "inpaint" mask raises the segmentation/connectivity problem of choosing which patches are the best clone sources .. I was recently segmenting image by chroma (YUV without Y) to have multiple source types and was going to re-synth from those .. maybe you can do some similar trick with your patch method .. i.e. a complex version to return multiple inpainted layers each using a distinct potential archetype (rather than fitting to the inpaint region's boundary)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:51 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

The algorithm has been optimized a little bit. A new source archive for the 1.5.5.1 beta version has been released as well. Still work in progress though !

Here are some new results I've done using the G'MIC plug-in for plug-in, filter 'Enhancement / Inpaint [patch-based]'. Looks promising to me !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot indeed for this new, amazing filter! :)

I am wondering whether It may be possible to expand this filter in order to get a new opposite option?

In short, as with Gimp, with the foreground select tool, IMHO, it would be very useful to have this same option with G'mic with this new filter.

More precisely, with G'mic:
1. You might "paint" on the image you want to extract from the background;
2. When you are done, you might apply this filter in order to "delete" all background (all pixels should be deleted).

In essence, the filter should be able to delete all unnecessary pixels (the ones NOT selected) in order to extract your image from the background.

For example, in the picture where there is the bird (the image just posted by Ronounours) you might be able to extract the bird from the background (that is, the opposite of what the filter is doing right now....).

The Siox algorithm implemented in Gimp allows to get the same result.
Maybe this new filter with G'mic might be more powerful compared to Siox on top :)
In addition of requiring a minor amount of clicks to get the job done (namely extract your image from the background).

P.s: Some years ago (2009) there has been a Google - Summer of Code which was aimed to improve the Siox algorithm version on Gimp.
Unfortunately, this Gsoc work was never merged to Gimp :(
To my knowlege, the Siox algorithm version implemented on Gimp has not received any improvement these past years...
Two years ago the Krita team tried to implement the Siox algorithm on Krita, through a Google Summer of Code project, but this student failed as well :(

Best regards!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I don't get it sylvio.
The mask must be selected by the user to inpaint its content. So, all the segmentation work is done by the user, not by the algorithm. I don't see how the inpaint method could be used to automatically segment foreground objects from the background.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Ronounours and Maxime Daisy. Wonderful performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

New progress on the patch-based inpainting algorithm has been made. Another gain in terms of speed, and another beta release, so you can test it if you wish. This is now quite usable, the following example has been computed on my small netbook (with a CPU of 1.1ghz). It took like 3 minutes to achieve on this very slow machine :

I would be interested to get your feedback on this. Didn't have time today to compile it for Windows and Linux64, but I'll try to do it on next monday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you very much David and Maxime Daisy!
These kinds of filters are always very helpful for photomanipulation.

I wonder what would happen in an image with many colors, where you can not choose a color for the mask that does not exist in the image. Would it be better that the repainting is done through a selection rather than a colored mask?

Ronounours wrote:
the following example has been computed on my small netbook (with a CPU of 1.1ghz). It took like 3 minutes to achieve on this very slow machine.
I would be interested to get your feedback on this

Would be nice if you share an image with the mask already done and the values ​​of the parameters that you used in the filter, to do the benchmark over the same image and so we share the results of computation times and CPU characteristics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

The inpaint filters have now two different modes to select the mask to fill in. Either you define it with a prescribed color (as I did above), either you define it as an opaque region on a top layer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Oh, now I see.
I've compiled G'MIC 1.5.5.1 beta for Linux 64bit.
I am applying the filter in the following image, over the yellow wire:
http://www.fileswa/Qby5At5/inpaint-patch-based_test(not download this to test).html

Something does not work well. If I select "opaque region in top layer" the filter does nothing.
If I merge the layers and then I apply the filter with red mask (#FF0000) selecting "Mask by color", then something strange happens, the mask edges still appear. But if I paint new regions in red, the filter works on the new regions. The original red line over de yellow wire still having the problem that I had mentioned.
Using GIMP 2.8.4, Kubuntu 64bits

Edit: Now I have done another test and the problem also occurs in the new regions that I paint. I really do not know when the problem occurs, or when not.
Edit2: This file is that works:
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/muk1p6GMiV/i ... 1.xcf.html

Last edited by YAFU on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Indeed, there was a bug with the top layer masking mode. It should be fixed now (you need to refresh your filters).
Note also that your red mask is *not* perfectly red, so using the 'color mask' mode will not select all your shape, but will exclude pixels that are aliased red, that explains you don't get the desired mask at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, thanks.
I do not know much about masks :oops:
So, how I can know and select what is a perfect red (or perfect color) to use?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

The 'pencil' tool in the GIMP toolbox allows to easily draw a stroke with a single 'pure' color (without aliasing effects).This is what I used for my experiments.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, it was obvious that I had to use the Pencil Tool and a solid brush. I do not know what I was thinking.
Now I'm uploaded the file again with some extras painted regions:
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/muk1p6GMiV/i ... 1.xcf.html
It took 53 seconds to complete the task in an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2500MHz), GIMP 2.8.4 Kubuntu 64bits. Default filter values.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

There are some news concerning the upcoming patch-based inpainting algorithm in G'MIC.
I've just finished the integration of our 'automatic blending' method in the inpainting filter. This step is really interesting because instead of just copy/pasting patches in the inside of the inpaint mask, it also blends them to reduce block artefacts.
Here are two examples that demonstrates how it works. I will release a new beta package of G'MIC with this feature included tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

That look fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Now I think I've finished the integration of the complete inpainting algorithm, so I will probably release a new stable version of G'MIC soon (1.5.5.1). Here is another example of what you can (easily) achieve with this filter. Very nice and fun to use indeed !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:28 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

I look forward to trying this. You guys are amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:46 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Some more news about the inpainting features, with some additional figures to show the differences with other existing inpainting algorithms, and to show why the blending step rocks :)
I hope I can release the new version with this feature on next monday.

First, a summary of what it can do :

Attachment:
results_all.jpg
results_all.jpg [ 642.89 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]

Second, a comparison with other algorithms :

Attachment:
result_kodim.jpg
result_kodim.jpg [ 783.29 KiB | Viewed 1310 times ]

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. Playing with this filter is indeed very fun and exciting. The problem is that I sometimes want too much from it, and then I'm disappointed by some results that are not good enough (finding the good parameters is not really easy for me right now).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

This is some of the best inpainting results that I've ever seen David. I sometimes use Inpaint 4.7 (a freebie from Give-away-of-the-day site; they give this gem away once or twice a year) but the results from G'MIC is far superior. Now if you can only use G'MIC to create crop circles then I can even replace Resynthesizer. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Prote question - because for many incomprehensible.
Simple instructions for use? - Step by step ....

Slava
Ukraini!