It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there any G'MIC filter for foreground/background extraction?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I think this thread is more like a feature request for David :hehe

I think that with algorithms from inpaint and edge detection in new filters to colorize, would be close to get it. It's just a guess, I have no idea about programming :oops:

Anyway, Do you know of an easy way to extract foreground/background images using G'MIC?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is there any G'MIC filter for foreground/background extraction?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:08 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

ChrisF just posted a tutorial that uses G'MIC:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7568

Post subject: Re: Is there any G'MIC filter for foreground/background extraction?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Does it have to be G'MIC? I only ask because I've played with the RGGJAN fork recently just for the foreground extraction, and it worked fairly well. Might be an option?

Partha has one compiled over on his site (partha.com).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Esper (and ChrisF). I must visit more often video tutorials section :oops:

@ patdavid, yes, I know the RGGJAN/Onkel Hatti version. But you know, G'MIC is amazing and I think there are many good algorithms currently in G'MIC that could be used to design a filter to extract foreground. I will continue experimenting with G'MIC to see if with the current filters I find a good method of extraction, even when all the images have similar colors/tones and when only distinguished shapes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Can't argue that G'MIC is amazing! :) Do tell if you come across anything worthwhile, I'd certainly be interested myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

There is:

Repair -> local similarity mask

Also based on a previous suggestion I've added a proof of concept under:

Testing -> Garagecoder -> Split Objects

It works like the recolorize filter, like this:

Create a new transparent layer, roughly pencil some things red and some green then load the filter. Set input layers to active and below. It will split them to two layers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I knew G'MIC guys could make this be so easy and good! :yes
Thanks garagecoder!

I have used a photo here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7871
Pretty good, and in just two simple steps!

Are you thinking in the future to add some user controls in this filter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:53 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Well yes I will do at some point... I'm secretly hoping David will tweak it (I just wanted to prove it's easily possible). There are tons of things can be done e.g. alternate edge detections and tweak controls, but I'm trying not to get distracted from something else at the moment :crash

P.S. if the original image has an alpha channel it will use it rather than leaving parts black (if you didn't already notice).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:29 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent garagecoder. I just tried it and it worked pretty nicely. I do hope David or yourself add to this one in the future. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I'll at least add some controls for the edge detection tomorrow, but for now I must sleep :otb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:10 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Updated to include some basic controls, fixed a bug with layers sometimes not separating properly. Cool example by the way :yup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:26 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

garagecoder wrote:
Updated to include some basic controls, fixed a bug with layers sometimes not separating properly. Cool example by the way :yup

Is it possible to add another control for threshold when using swap layers?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

You mean an opacity threshold like there is in David's "extract objects"? I think that should be possible, yes I'll have a look. Also experimenting with an option for inpaint/repair (i.e. fill in the objects). Then I must stop and work on something else :hehe

Edit: actually I'm a little confused about the threshold... what's it's main purpose?
Second Edit: I now assume you mean for initial edge detection, I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by garagecoder on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

garagecoder wrote:
You mean an opacity threshold like there is in David's "extract objects"? I think that should be possible, yes I'll have a look. Also experimenting with an option for inpaint/repair (i.e. fill in the objects). Then I must stop and work on something else :hehe

Yes opacity threshold. :)
Wow an inpainter.
Sounds great! Thanks garagecoder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:57 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

This is awesome. Thanks for all your work on it, appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

again, thank you very much garagecoder!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

OK I've added two things: Alpha Min (Opacity threshold) and Inpaint

It might be an hour before this updates because I think the filter update runs on the hour every hour (maybe that's changed now I don't know).

Beware that the inpaint can be extremely slow!

Now I really must go and do things, I'll keep one eye on this in case of a serious bug though :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

That's it available now, I'll add some controls for the inpaint in future (but not today, sorry)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks again. :)