It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Release of G'MIC 1.5.7.2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Dear All,
I'm happy to announce another update of the G'MIC framework, namely the 1.5.7.2 version.
I hope you will enjoy it. Lyle, if you have some time, I'd be happy to have a build of the plug-in, for Win64 machines :)

Here is the full changelog :

New features:

- Fast marching algorithm is available, in command '-distance'.
- New command '-output_ggr' able to save color gradients file in .ggr format (GIMP Gradient file format).
- New substituting expression '$"*"' that does as '$*' but put each argument around double quotes. Useful to pass list of arguments from one command to another, where some arguments contain space for instance.
- New command '-at_line' retrieves pixel values from selected images, located along a line segment with specified coordinates.
- New GIMP filters 'Rendering/Gradient [custom shape]' and 'Rendering/Gradient [from line]', allowing to create different kind of color gradients.
- New command '-x_metaballs', that launches an animated demo when called from the CLI tool 'gmic' :
- New command '-cubes3d' to transform a 3d object into a set of 3d cubes located at each object vertex :
- New command '-color_med' that returns the median color of an image.
- New command '-x_bouncing' displays a funny animation with bouncing balls.
- New (native) command '-mutex' can lock/unlock mutexes, to manage concurrent accesses to resources in multi-thread scripts.

Modifications / Improvements:

- Command '-distance' has been modified to extend the dijkstra and fast-marching algorithms to be used on any shapes, with any custom metric.
- Default visualization done at the end of command-line pipelines is forced to be done in normalized windows.
- Command '-display' improves the display of weird images (with high/infinite values), both for lists and single images.
- Better behavior of commands '-display' and '-plot' when display is not available.
- HTML documentation has been slightly improved, with 'back-to-top' buttons available alongside section and subsection titles.
- Better management of the status value when running multiple threads with command '-parallel'.
- Added support for XShm library, allowing to speed up the display of images in display windows, when using X11 with the CLI interface 'gmic'.
- Command '-ball' have been recoded for a better rendering.
- Hyphenation in the reference documentation (in ascii format) has been improved.
- Displaying image lists have been slightly improved: now, the image size is displayed when the mouse cursor is over the image.

Bug fixes:

- Checking for existence of a file is now working when specifty a folder name on Windows.
- Fixed : Displaying an image with the command line version 'gmic' took 100% of one CPU.
- Fixed some bugs related to the math parser, that were invisible with g++, but which appeared when using clang++ as a compiler.
- Improved stability of multi-threaded commands that creating new display windows simultaneously, for X11-based displays (Unix).
- + Lot of small bug fixes...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Release of G'MIC 1.5.7.2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Cool, not sure when the -apply_parallel_channels command appeared but I've added it to the wiki now. Not actually had a chance to try it yet but I assume it works as expected ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I'm still using the beta version of G'MIC 1.5.7.0 & I'm experiencing problems with KaRo's Tests filters: CImg nlmeans, Pink Operator, Pink Operator Binary, Pink test operator bianca & CImg Skeleton. Will these be fixed?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
I'm still using the beta version of G'MIC 1.5.7.0 & I'm experiencing problems with KaRo's Tests filters: CImg nlmeans, Pink Operator, Pink Operator Binary, Pink test operator bianca & CImg Skeleton. Will these be fixed?

Well, I don't know, 1.5.7.0 is already quite old now :) (we have fixed lot of things since then).
By the way, the filters you mention assume you have installed some external tools on your system (such as the Pink Image Library).
If you don't have these stuffs installed, those filters cannot work. They are quite experimental.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ronounours wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

Well, I don't know, 1.5.7.0 is already quite old now :) (we have fixed lot of things since then).
By the way, the filters you mention assume you have installed some external tools on your system (such as the Pink Image Library).
If you don't have these stuffs installed, those filters cannot work. They are quite experimental.

No, I don't have external tools on my system. I just refreshed the G'MIC version I have, and just they came up. Also is there a download link for the new G'MIC version? I use Windows 64 bit.

Last edited by mackenzieh on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Just compiled it David. Link is as it was before (thanks Ubuntuone). :)

http://ubuntuone.com/34xjw80fvHPevl3AWlfl0B

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Just compiled it David. Link is as it was before (thanks Ubuntuone). :)

http://ubuntuone.com/34xjw80fvHPevl3AWlfl0B

Lyle, is this the link for G'MIC 64 windows machines? If so, I'm downloading it.:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:41 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Only for 64-bit Windows GIMP mackenzieh. I did not include the other files needed; just the plugin. If you already have 64-bit version of GMIC on your workstation, you already have those supporting files. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Only for 64-bit Windows GIMP mackenzieh. I did not include the other files needed; just the plugin. If you already have 64-bit version of GMIC on your workstation, you already have those supporting files. :)

I have Windows 64 bit but the G'MIC version I have is 1.5.7.1 ... not 1.5.7.2 & the CImg nlmeans & CImg Skelton filters are slow. They'll flicker & give me a black screen & then kick in & work. Is that normal? Same goes for Pink Operator, Pink operation binary, and pink test operator bianca. This is under the Testing filter: KaRo's Tests. Other than that, I see no other problems. I can't seem to locate these commands when I open G'MIC: - New command '-x_metaballs', that launches an animated demo when called from the CLI tool 'gmic',
- New command '-cubes3d' to transform a 3d object into a set of 3d cubes located at each object vertex , - New command color_med' that returns the median color of an image, or - New command '-x_bouncing' displays a funny animation with bouncing balls.) How and where in GMIC are these plugins located?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Lyle when I used your 64bit Gmic 1.5.7.2 file it returned this error

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I see no other problems. I can't seem to locate these commands when I open G'MIC: - New command '-x_metaballs', that launches an animated demo when called from the CLI tool 'gmic',
- New command '-cubes3d' to transform a 3d object into a set of 3d cubes located at each object vertex , - New command color_med' that returns the median color of an image, or - New command '-x_bouncing' displays a funny animation with bouncing balls.) How and where in GMIC are these plugins located?

I believe Lylejk compiled only the plugin so you can't have the new commands for the "CLI tool gmic" because CL is for Command Line ; none is supported by the gmic plugin.

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I think there should be G'MIC 1.5.7.2 files included as well as the plugin. I checked the source forge link where G'MIC is located & there is not a 64-bit version of 1.5.7.2.. only a 32 bit version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

The win64bit files are on sourceview now and contain the libpng16-16__.dll library :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:48 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
The win64bit files are on sourceview now and contain the libpng16-16__.dll library :bigthup

Really? I was just at sourceforge & I didn't see the files for windows 64 bit. This is the site I went to & I didn't see 64 bit 1.5.7.2.. only 32 bit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmic/files/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

The win 64bit files on sourceview are for 1.5.7.1 but contain the missing library files libpng16-16__.dll and zlib1__.dll
along with liblzma-5__.dll,ugrade to 1.5.7.1 then use Lyle's gmic_gimp.exe file to upgrade to 1.5.7.2 :jumpclap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
The win 64bit files on sourceview are for 1.5.7.1 but contain the missing library files libpng16-16__.dll and zlib1__.dll
along with liblzma-5__.dll,ugrade to 1.5.7.1 then use Lyle's gmic_gimp.exe file to upgrade to 1.5.7.2 :jumpclap

oh, ok. That's cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks for the update!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I deleted G'MIC from my GIMP simply because there isn't a 1.5.7.2 version for windows 64 bit.. only for wndows 32 bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:27 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I know I have done it a few times but cannot remember.
Do I have to delete anything for this one to take affect or before installing it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 pm  (#20) 
Script Coder

Sallyanne What gimp are you using 32 or 64bit linux or windows and which version of Gmic have you currently installed