It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G'MIC Tutorial Pages
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello there !

I'm happy to announce that G'MIC has new tutorial pages on its website, you can access them at :

http://gmic.eu/tutorial/

These pages have been written by Garry Osgood, a very nice and talented G'MIC user.
You can learn how to write your own G'MIC pipelines there, and the explanation of most of the G'MIC basics.
I know that probably most of you do not want to write G'MIC scripts :), but for the few interested, these are must-read pages !

Enjoy !

Last edited by Ronounours on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: G'MIC Tutorial Pages
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Excellent news David, I'll look forward to having a go at the tutorials. :bigthup
I had a quick preview, Garry Osgood has done a really nice job setting things up.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Great, that should make a big hit. Kudos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:55 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A good new and a good way to learn about G'mic !!.
Thanks David and Garry.

My Gimp rides on Antergos (Arch), Linux Mint, Debian and Fedora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

All of us -G'MIC users who like to better understand this powerful tool- are very happy, as you are!
Thanks, David, and thanks to Garry Osgood too, of course.
I have a small question: I would like to download the tutorial as a PDF, I suppose that -when almost finished- there will be a PDF to download, but for the moment -as long as it's work_in_progress- I am trying to use a virtual printer to print tha available pages as PDF; well, I have a problem with the "conversion", I tried many tools but the best result is having good body text, good images but criptic chapters' titles; it seems that the font+size used for titles is incompatible with those tools.
Thus, this is my little request: is it possible to have an e-mail address of the author to ask whether he can use a different font+size compatible with such tools (just for information I tried: Adobe PDF, Bullzip PDF, doPDF, Foxit PDF, Nitro PDF ...none was able to translate the chapters' titles).
Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:58 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Only glimpsed and already know this is some cool information David. I'm just too lazy to learn coding (as you know). lol

Thanks to Garry for doing this; much needed. Again, thank you David for keeping G'MIC super cool. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:27 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

dinasset wrote:
I have a small question: I would like to download the tutorial as a PDF, I suppose that -when almost finished- there will be a PDF to download, but for the moment -as long as it's work_in_progress- I am trying to use a virtual printer to print tha available pages as PDF; well, I have a problem with the "conversion", I tried many tools but the best result is having good body text, good images but criptic chapters' titles; it seems that the font+size used for titles is incompatible with those tools.
Thus, this is my little request: is it possible to have an e-mail address of the author to ask whether he can use a different font+size compatible with such tools (just for information I tried: Adobe PDF, Bullzip PDF, doPDF, Foxit PDF, Nitro PDF ...none was able to translate the chapters' titles).
Many thanks
Two suggestions.
1. Check these tutorials (best result).
Part 1: Saving a GimpChat Text Tutorial
Part 2: Tips for Saving PDF Files
2. wkhtmltopdf (quick & easy).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:31 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Not sure how I missed this one. Awesome stuff, and appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:06 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
dinasset wrote:
Many thanks
Two suggestions.
1. Check these tutorials (best result).
Part 1: Saving a GimpChat Text Tutorial
Part 2: Tips for Saving PDF Files
2. wkhtmltopdf (quick & easy).

Thanks Odinbc.
Unfortunately I didn't succeed in using any of the suggested solutions.
So I read all pages using internet (up to now, it's a quite reasonable number of pages); hope the final outcome will be in PDF too.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, dinasset
You could try transcribing the tutorial pages at Particular Art - sorry, apparently not allowed to include links yet. While Ronounours has made great strides in keeping G'MIC pages synchronized in both places, there are differences, for one, links to the fonts at Google's font repository are in the page headers at PA, as well as in the style sheet; they seem referenced only in the style sheet at source forge. That may be the difficulty your PDF converter is running into. In the near future, (summer?) I plan to have server-side PDF generation at PA and see no technical barrier to such files being echoed at the source forge site as well. At the moment, I am focussed on writing and exploring. Have patience!
Garry Osgood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:53 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Garry
Nice to hear from you.
Thanks a lot.
I totally agree with your choice of focusing on writing and exploring: you are doing a great job!
I can wait until summer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:22 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Garry Osgood - I am very pleased that we have contact with you in this forum.
Great tutorial - I'd like to translate it into my language - but many of the concepts is not (for me :gaah ) in the translation explicit - so the request for the next version - even more screenshots and photos (tutorial as comic ? :oops: )
Great Your job - thanks!

Slava
Ukraini!