It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.2 text tool bug
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Just out of interest, what happens on you installation when you drag the handles up rather than down to resize the text box

Same thing, although it's not on the video, tried to expand text box in all directions, even tried to expand the text box and hit Enter key to make a second line before typing.

S is still cut off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hey K1TesseraEna, that is strange.
Here, just switch Fixed to Dynamic , and everything changes alone. Do not do anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Akros wrote:
Hey K1TesseraEna, that is strange.
Here, just switch Fixed to Dynamic , and everything changes alone. Do not do anything else.

Thanks, Akros! But I did that in the second half of the video. Didn't work.

It can't be fixed without trying to downgrade/upgrade the version of Cairo I have in my GIMP, and do not wanna do that.
Not much of a problem, since it does not affect most of my other fonts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna my Gimp is 2.8.2 and not have same problem...
As i said... very strange.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

For me it works fine no matter if it's fixed or dynamic. I can't seem to replicate the bug no matter what I do.

I'm running self-compiled gimp 2.8.3 (from git) in linux mint 13, and my libcairo version is 1.10.2-6.1ubuntu3 if that helps any.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
For me it works fine no matter if it's fixed or dynamic. I can't seem to replicate the bug no matter what I do.

I'm running self-compiled gimp 2.8.3 (from git) in linux mint 13, and my libcairo version is 1.10.2-6.1ubuntu3 if that helps any.

Thank you, dd.
AFAIK Linux version of GIMP does not have that problem (and many, many others). Windows version of GIMP is notorious for its bugs.
GIMP team desperately needs developers for windows platform, not so much for developing as for patching and fixing bugs.
Oh, well...I have Ubuntu and all that comes together on my VM Virtual Box.

I can build GIMP on Windows from the git repository but it won't solve the problem since the code for Windows itself is buggy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
AFAIK Linux version of GIMP does not have that problem (and many, many others). Windows version of GIMP is notorious for its bugs.
GIMP team desperately needs developers for windows platform, not so much for developing as for patching and fixing bugs.
Oh, well...I have Ubuntu and all that comes together on my VM Virtual Box.

So... why are you using windows anyway? It seems to me your problem is halfway solved ;)

As for finding windows developers... The problem is that the windows API is purposely made to be as complicated and unreliable as possible. Microsoft has figured that it makes it harder to port windows programs to other platforms so they gain a competitive advantage by making their API so complicated. It's much easier to port between unix-like systems, like BSD, Solaris, Linux or MacOS, but windows doesn't play nice.

Another thing is the difference in mindset between windows users and linux users. Windows users are less familiar to free software and developers who use windows are more likely to want monetary compensation for any work they do. They're not familiar with the idea of collaborating for common benefit because it's not a paradigm that is closely tied with the windows platform, unlike it is on linux. Therefore it is probably harder to find windows developers who are willing to contribute their time to free software projects.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 pm  (#18) 

I've had the same issue and I tried the upgrade. The available upgrade was for 2.8.4. This did not fix the issue.

While this is not a gimp-centric solution I ended up using a workaround. I created my text pieces in inkscape, exported them, and then imported into gimp. The result was perfect. Normally I wouldn't want to go to all this trouble but I was stuck with a particular font due to other previously designed elements. This at least got the job done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

sethro wrote:
I've had the same issue and I tried the upgrade. The available upgrade was for 2.8.4. This did not fix the issue.

While this is not a gimp-centric solution I ended up using a workaround. I created my text pieces in inkscape, exported them, and then imported into gimp. The result was perfect. Normally I wouldn't want to go to all this trouble but I was stuck with a particular font due to other previously designed elements. This at least got the job done.

Thanks sethro. I have (and heavily use) Inkscape and AI CS6 at my disposal and do my texts mostly with them.
Like I said many times before, if software has an important feature or tool I would like to see it working 100% no matter what.
Half of my bold fonts has that cut off problem
When the developers of GIMP referring to their product as a high-end image editing program used by the professionals and one of the basic tools
is broken, there is something wrong going on. They said it's Cairo's fault but GIMP on Linux uses the same Cairo and Text tool is working properly.
Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:41 am  (#20) 

I know this is a super-old thread, but I'm using 2.8.10 on Windows 7 and it's still doing this. GIMP cuts off sides and tops of text and I really feel like I shouldn't have to use a third-party app to get text to paste into my images. Any updated suggestions? Thx!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

jay3fer: what have you tried so far to prevent that cutting off of tops and sides? it's a most annoying bug, but when i use the text tool i usually find ways to get around the problems. the best tips are in this thread, though, so if you've read it all through and you don't find it helpful i don't think there is a solution for you :(.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:00 am  (#22) 
Script Coder

If you do text-to-path, is the path cut off? If not, just do text to path, discard the text layer, create a new layer, make a selection from the path, and bucket-fill.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:04 am  (#23) 

Well, I just saw the kerning tip, so I'll try that the next time it's cutting off the end of a line. :-(
As for now, I have fiddled with the baseline and between-line spacing. That's about all I could think of.

The effect is always subtle (I didn't even notice it at first at smaller sizes), but annoying as it makes GIMP less of a go-to for graphics of any kind.
Screenshot attached (couldn't link bc I'm a new user).
Attachment:
gimpimage.jpg
gimpimage.jpg [ 234.39 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]

Since it doesn't do this with every font, I have been known to switch fonts, but really -?! Shouldn't be necessary, and it makes me sad since GIMP is such a power player in so many other ways. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

jay3fer: hmm... that one should have come out alright. did you use the bold style? and did you try ofnuts tip? i have stopped using bold style in the gimp text editor, i just type it in normal style, blur a duplicate slightly and use the curve tool on the alpha channel to get smooth edges, that gives me the effect of bold type without the cutting. but i agree, it is a disadvantage with gimp, this text tool bug. for me it's not much of a problem, but it depends so much on what you want to make.