It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: no faith in gimp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

I don't believe I have ever had gimp to crash on me, neither on linux, nor in windows. My .gimp file runs now about 800 mb, approximately 700 brushes. Takes maybe a minute at startup, which is why I usually leave it running 24/7. A few of the intensive scripts/plugins sometimes bogs in down, but these are few and never cause a crash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:43 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I really do believe it's a conflict that occasionally arises between Win7 and GIMP (32-bit) Nixine. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it nearly impossible to troubleshoot. I've just accepted that fact and frequently save current state so if a crash does occur, I restart GIMP. I have more hope for 2.7.3 (64-bit), but I've been relunctantand to use it since I still have a handful of filters like GML Matting that I use inside GIMP (that requires PSPI and I've not found a 64-bit PSPI yet), as well as SVG import (Partha promised the SVG import to be included in the next build, but I've not seen that build yet). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:55 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Besides that you can use most 8bfs through Gimp anyways.Either through PSPI or Shellout. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:12 pm  (#24) 
Global Moderator

I installed PSPI on my Windows 64 machine, all it required was adding additional libraries. I commented and left the link to this process on the Registry, somewhere. The only problem is, it doesn't work on Linux 64, even though I added the same additional libraries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

I was running Gimp on my old Windows XP machine, and almost no crashes or problems. I had PSPI with about 150 PS plugins, many additional fonts and brushes, not to mention a ton of scripts. I seldom had any problems with Gimp. Once I switched to Win 7, that's when the troubles began. Win 7 still sucks, but that's a different thread.

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:04 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Part of the problem with PSPI was the, I believe 3.6.10 update Greg. Still, no update seems to relieve the GIMP freeze issue in Win7. I even tried running GIMP in compatibility mode but to no avail. Again, the few times I used 2.7.3 64-bit, it has been pretty rock solid. Still wish I could find a 64-bit PSPI compile, but alas, I've not been able to find one (really fo GML Matting, but I do like the convenience of running Impressionist inside GIMP instead of running Irfanview via copy/paste or Shellout. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 pm  (#27) 
Global Moderator

GAH! I'm so @$$ backwards sometimes, I have to go back to visit the threads I contributed to, to make sure my thinking stays straight. I have PSPI working in 64 bit Ubuntu, but not in Windows, even though I loaded all the additional libraries required for the Windows version.

It would seem to be an EASY fix based on just the need for those (6 or so) additional libraries. Which got me to thinking maybe its not working because I don't have the libraries in the correct location in Windows. Maybe, just maybe, they need to be in GIMP's bin folder and not Windows/System 32. Hmmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

I've seen reference to Shellout. Can someone point me in the direction of this because I don't quite grok it. I know, another blonde moment -- well, grey maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Shellout started as a RobA project called XnviewShell (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=970&hilit=XNViewShell); can download it here. It's now much more generic able to just about call any external program and get a result back, even Photoshop can be called. lol

It is written in Python, so yo will have to have the Python plugin. Most Windows users will not have this plugin unfortunately. I had to go through some hoops and ladders to get it, but I do have it now. Can check out this cool thread to help you install it if you don't already have it installed. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

For one, it's hard to compete with Photoshop when it has practically become a verb. I've never used PS (Linux user here), but if its memory management is much better than GIMP's, I can certainly see one appeal of PS over GIMP. I have 12GB of memory on my machine, and have filled it entirely on occasion.

One thing I've found is rotating, transforming, etc. multiple layers simultaneously is very, very slow. Say I select, then rotate a tiny piece of one layer. This piece moves fine. However, the selection seems to be lost entirely on the other layers. Hence, the entire layer is rotated / transformed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:40 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

nixnine wrote:
I don't believe I have ever had gimp to crash on me, neither on linux, nor in windows. My .gimp file runs now about 800 mb, approximately 700 brushes. Takes maybe a minute at startup, which is why I usually leave it running 24/7. A few of the intensive scripts/plugins sometimes bogs in down, but these are few and never cause a crash.
I've had it crash on me a lot in Windows. it's very annoying. I'm just starting to use it in Linux but I doubt that it will crash there. When it crashes it does the same thing every time. it wll act like it's about to show a menu or drop down and the little drop shadow around the window appears then everything just stops. not even ctrl-alt-del gets me out of it.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:39 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Gms9810 wrote:
nixnine wrote:
I've had it crash on me a lot in Windows. it's very annoying. I'm just starting to use it in Linux but I doubt that it will crash there. When it crashes it does the same thing every time. it wll act like it's about to show a menu or drop down and the little drop shadow around the window appears then everything just stops. not even ctrl-alt-del gets me out of it.

Could it be a problem with GTK? I don't know much about GTK with Windows... are there other Win apps that use it?