It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Digital Art
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Yesterday I went to the Ann Arbor (aka A2) Street Art Fair, and it is pretty well-know as one of the country's top art shows. There were quite a few booths with digital artists, and as cool as all the art was, I really didn't see anything much better than I have seen from the artists here on GC! It was cool to recognize what type of digital art I was seeing, there were general enhancements (especially recoloring), digital fractal art, and even what looked very much like Apophesis (oops, I don't know how to spell that). I kept thinking…that can be done with Gimp, lol, as I looked around. Algorithm Art was how much of it was labeled, lol, sounds much fancier than just saying math equations or listing the name of software. There were definitely more of this type of 'art' for sale than in previous years.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Digital Art
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

How lucky you were 2-ton, it must have been so interesting. Thanks for sharing with us your impressions. :tyspin

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks for sharing your art observations, 2-ton. It's interesting to learn about current trends, especially for us hillbillies, who live in the boondocks. About the only artworks I ever see are from people by the side of the road, selling velvet paintings of Elvis and Dogs Playing Poker. :mrgreen:

Your comments reminded me of a recent news magazine, where they were reporting that digital (algorithmic) based designs were becoming the norm in fashion, with all the major designers using fabrics which incorporate digital designs and patterns.

I suppose art imitates life or maybe it's the other way 'round. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 pm  (#4) 

really, art at some point l believe is being taken for granted. original paintings are now so rare to find. :paint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

In one booth, the artist made large framed wall pictures of patterns and the first thing I thought of was Lyle, lol. The patterns looks a lot like the ones he and Photocomix make.