It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deletion of Multiple Nodes Simultaneously
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:34 pm  (#1) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I was wondering if there was a way of removing/deleting or moving multiple nodes form a path simultaneously?

I'm working on an alphabet using paths. I drew the alphabet free hand and scanned the document.
I then began tracing this alphabet using path. All the paths for the 26 letters are now within one single .svg file.
I want to break them up so that each letter is on it's own layer. Essentially creating one xcf file with the letters on their own layers, making 26 individual paths for each letter.

All the paths are within a single paths layer/document and I now want to break them up into 26 individual path documents/layers.

Is there a way to do this in Gimp or maybe Inkscape?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Deletion of Multiple Nodes Simultaneously
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can select multiple nodes in GIMP but i do not think you can delete them all at once. You can only move them on the same layer i believe. Inkscape i am not sure of.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:41 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Here is an old script I wrote that might simplify things:

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... 8912752408

It splits a path into its constituent strokes. For text paths this typically means that each letter becomes a separate path; the exceptions being the letters that are "dotted" (e.g., i and j) and letters that contain one or more "holes" (e.g. o, p, or b).

Paths which should belong to the same letter can be re-combined using "Merge Visible Paths".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:54 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

saulgoode wrote:
Here is an old script I wrote that might simplify things:

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... 8912752408

It splits a path into its constituent strokes. For text paths this typically means that each letter becomes a separate path; the exceptions being the letters that are "dotted" (e.g., i and j) and letters that contain one or more "holes" (e.g. o, p, or b).

Paths which should belong to the same letter can be re-combined using "Merge Visible Paths".

Thanks saulgoode!
I didn't know there was a script like this, I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can get the bulk of the paths broken up and just work on doing the rest manually.

It was a mistake for me placing all those paths into one document. I wish that I had thought about what I was doing beforehand, instead of creating all this work for myself.
Hindsight is 20/20...

Thanks again saulgoode, (fingers crossed).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Get ofnuts delete-strokes plug-in http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa ... y/download

Select the letters you do not want. Apply the plugin.

It makes a new path.

Back to the original path. New selection (use additive mode). Repeat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:48 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

rich2005 wrote:
Get ofnuts delete-strokes plug-in http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa ... y/download

Select the letters you do not want. Apply the plugin.

[ Image ]

It makes a new path.

[ Image ]

Back to the original path. New selection (use additive mode). Repeat.

Hey thanks Rich2005 for this suggestion! That a good one too, I'll have to pick that up.
I did however manage to accomplish what I needed to do using Saulgoode's "split-strokes.scm". Once I applied this script, it was just a matter of merging the holes and dot paths with the correct letter. Which saved me a lot of headache and time.

I have to thank Saulgoode for his great suggestion and wonderfully functional script, that was just the remedy I needed to complete my project.

I'll post the alphabet I've created when it's finished. I'm now beginning to work on the numbers and the few symbols that I've included.