It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A post should be address and not left blank
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

It is hard to reason why some topics get replies and others don't. Many times I do not have time to do more than quickly read but not reply on topics. Other times, I read the topic and decided it isn't what I want to work on, and then I would not reply on something I have not tried. And sometimes people read and do the project, but don't reply...no real reason there, but you are right that it would be nice to give feedback if you actually do the project.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I frequent forums that have a "like" button. Many times I'm not sure what to say, so I just hit the like button.

That said, sometimes I get lazy about responding, nothing personal. And sometimes I feel it doesn't pertain to me, so I simply don't respond. As far as tutorials go, I rarely execute a given tutorial, simply because it's not what I was looking for. If I want to learn how to do something I'm specifically looking for, I may use a part of a tutorial, but just don't do them for the sake of doing them.

I'm with 2-ton, it's hard to figure out why some threads get tons of responses, and some don't. Some I feel will be dead from the get go, get more attention than I ever dreamed of.

Another thing, I'm mostly on outdoorsy type forums. This isn't my main forum, but I do like GIMPing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

I don't understand what you expect someone to say about your post.

It's a technical reference and unless someone who needs it right now sees it, then there's no reason to comment on it.

We have a saying in English:- "If you can't find something nice to say, then don't say anything"

I think it more likely that you haven't found the right audience yet.

Personally I don't see the point in having to go through a complicated installation process to do something that's relatively simple to do from within GIMP and anyway why would you want to keep changing the theme?

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I may not have replied because I know how to change a theme through preferences. Doesn't mean I and many others didn't read though. You know you can also see how many view a post as well as reply. Maybe others didn't reply because they took on board what you said and didn't feel the need to.
Pity there isn't a 'like' button here because I know I get lazy re answering and don't have much to say when I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:53 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui: i think we've all been there - made an effort of writing or gimping something and got absolutely no replies. it seems unfair and unappreciative of our work. on the other hand, we all have other things to do apart from gimpchatting and i'm sure we would all choose to for example take some extra minutes with a loved one before leaving for work in the morning instead of replying to a post on gimp chat that might be outside our sphere of interest. that said, i think it's important to remember to comment on and encourage other people's contributions as well as making our own :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:06 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It's a situation I have had to come to terms with myself but at the end of the day, people don't always have a lot of time and will just skim through subjects that are of most importance to them. I think it is only fair to say thank you if you have gained something from the post though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Do you really want the 1700+ users of Gimpchat to answer to all your posts, and do you yourself want to answer to all posts? If not some filtering happens. This is Pareto's law applied to forums... 80% of the posts are of interest to less than 20% of the people, and only 20% of the posts are of interest to more than 80% of the people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:31 am  (#8) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
If someone post's a tutorial, it's a gift to the GC community.
This is most often something that one does on his own.
In my opinion, It's not a post that is asking anything that actually warrants a reply. Expecting that a tutorial should get any kind of reply seems ridiculous to me.
As I see it... posting tutorials is for the betterment of the GC community. As such, it should be concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own and done selflessly, without any expectations.

Doesn't the amount of Views a post gets count for anything?

Last edited by Wallace on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Well said Wallace. :ditto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 am  (#10) 
Script Coder

The like button would be awesome.
A lot of times I want to like something but there's no like and well it'd be weird to reply with "I like this" in a bunch of posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 am  (#11) 
Administrator

trandoductin wrote:
A lot of times I want to like something but there's no like and well it'd be weird to reply with "I like this" in a bunch of posts.

How about just posting, :coolthup or :bigthup ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if people believe me anymore, I've said it so often.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:
trandoductin wrote:

There were times when I see you posting :coolthup or :bigthup and I wish there was a like that comment to agree.
Personally I wouldn't want to see repeated posts of :coolthup or :bigthup, I'd much rather see one and a bunch of likes in agreeing with the comment.

I blame facebook for training me with the like button. One of things i dislike on facebook is when i have to scroll through a bunch of comments saying generally the same thing, it makes good rare original comment gets lost in a bunch of similarly content comments..hard to read the good comments. I really like it when people who's about to comment actually read the comments and then like it if they have something similar to say because then the comments are actually worth reading since they're different content rather than a bunch of comment saying the same thing I don't know if i am explaining that right hehehe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

trandoductin wrote:
Wallace wrote:
trandoductin wrote:

There were times when I see you posting :coolthup or :bigthup and I wish there was a like that comment to agree.
Personally I wouldn't want to see repeated posts of :coolthup or :bigthup, I'd much rather see one and a bunch of likes in agreeing with the comment.

I blame facebook for training me with the like button. One of things i dislike on facebook is when i have to scroll through a bunch of comments saying generally the same thing, it makes good rare original comment gets lost in a bunch of similarly content comments..hard to read the good comments. I really like it when people who's about to comment actually read the comments and then like it if they have something similar to say because then the comments are actually worth reading since they're different content rather than a bunch of comment saying the same thing I don't know if i am explaining that right hehehe

understood and agree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:08 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Wallace, I think either one of those icons would be quite sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:01 pm  (#16) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
Wallace, I think either one of those icons would be quite sufficient.

:ditto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:06 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

If someone would give me $1 for every post that I did unanswered since I joined GIMPChat, I would be a happy guy Conbagui. I do appreciate the comments to do come no doubt, but sometimes I do things repetitively (binges; some here know what I'm talking about. lol) and don't always get additional comments. Just happy there's a forum to post such as GIMPChat. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:11 pm  (#18) 
Administrator

lylejk wrote:
If someone would give me $1 for every post that I did unanswered since I joined GIMPChat, I would be a happy guy Conbagui. I do appreciate the comments to do come no doubt, but sometimes I do things repetitively (binges; some here know what I'm talking about. lol) and don't always get additional comments. Just happy there's a forum to post such as GIMPChat. :)

Here ya go Lyle...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

:lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 pm  (#20) 
Administrator

Look here... search.php?search_id=unanswered and you'll see 14 pages of unanswered posts dating back to 2010.