It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you use GIMP-GAP (GIMP Animation Package)?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:27 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

Do you use GIMP-GAP (GIMP Animation Package) or do you have it but never got around to learning how to use all the menu items?

I've always had GIMP-GAP (I know not everyone has it), but never got around to learn it until recently. On Linux we have man-pages so I have been studying and organizing this information. I've found the GIMP Bible is another good source of GIMP-GAP info. I will admit I'm a rookie with GIMP-GAP but I've learned a lot by organizing the man-pages and thought there must be others who had learning GAP on their bucket list as well.

My second question; is there any interest in having a compilation of the (180+) GIMP-GAP man-pages as one reference and a few tutorials on the basic knowledge of GIMP-GAP?

I was inspired by sallyanne's recent post about a slide show to try it in GAP. A basic and advanced slideshow would be two tutorials I'm considering doing. In the future I would like to tackle a Parallax Animated Photo Effect and the Ken Burns Effect. The first tutorial would most likely be about what all the menu items and plug-ins are for.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Do you use GIMP-GAP (GIMP Animation Package)?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:13 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I tried x 2 to use Gap for a simple animation and failed horribly. So, I would greatly benefit from instructions and tutorials, and a thread to help us out when we are stuck. Hopefully there will be enough interest to make that a feasible project.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:19 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you very much Odin. I'm in a learning stage just now and learning more about GAP will be very appreciated for me too. :bigthup :tyspin

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:27 am  (#4) 

This may not be the best place for this. If not please direct me to where I need to go. I am having problems getting gap to work. I am using ubuntu 14.04. I've done lots of googling and searching but have not come up with any answers.
ERROR:
Mplayer 1.0 must be installed somewhere in your PATH.

I do have mplayer installed.
Any help is appreciated.

Ozzie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:10 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc I am very interested in Gap.
This creations I made some while ago with
a tutorial.

first one rectangle

here two

and finaly three

How everything works in Gap I do not quite understand. A bit explanation would be nice.
My biggest problem remains the English language.
Especially technical explanation, GAP for instance, I find difficult to understand.

Google translate does not always give the correct translation.

Last edited by Ella on Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the interest in learning more about GAP. I was curious if I was like others who had played around with a few GAP tutorials but never took the time to really understand it's concept. The authors of GAP have done a great.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Don't think I have it unless it is built in and I haven't found it?
Glad I inspire people sometimes Odinbc. :)
If you have been following my thread it is solved now :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:25 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
Do you use GIMP-GAP (GIMP Animation Package) or do you have it but never got around to learning how to use all the menu items?

I've always had GIMP-GAP (I know not everyone has it), but never got around to learn it until recently. On Linux we have man-pages so I have been studying and organizing this information. I've found the GIMP Bible is another good source of GIMP-GAP info. I will admit I'm a rookie with GIMP-GAP but I've learned a lot by organizing the man-pages and thought there must be others who had learning GAP on their bucket list as well.

My second question; is there any interest in having a compilation of the (50+) GIMP-GAP man-pages as one reference and a few tutorials on the basic knowledge of GIMP-GAP?

I was inspired by sallyanne's recent post about a slide show to try it in GAP. A basic and advanced slideshow would be two tutorials I'm considering doing. In the future I would like to tackle a Parallax Animated Photo Effect and the Ken Burns Effect. The first tutorial would most likely be about what all the menu items and plug-ins are for.

I have never heard of GAP before seeing this thread. I found a blog that explained how to get it into GIMP 2.8. I have it all in place, the menus are where they ought to be, and I have installed extra scripts and lame sound support. I am good to go, just awaiting your compilation!!