It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PSPI for 64bit gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 pm  (#1) 

Hi,

anybody come across a 64bit PSPI for gimp 2.9? Recently I fed up with adobe creative clouds.... now full time using gimp.

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: PSPI for 64bit gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:26 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
tmheroes wrote:
Hi,

anybody come across a 64bit PSPI for gimp 2.9? Recently I fed up with adobe creative clouds.... now full time using gimp.

Thanks.

I use this pspi plug-in with 64bit Windows and Gimp 2.8.16
Attachment:
File comment: PSPI.exe File
pspi plugin.zip [19.46 KiB]
Downloaded 2436 times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

@tmheroes

Some of the snags, for what is an old plugin. This from the source code readme.

Quote:
..First, the bad news: Pspi only works on systems that understand i386
Windows executables, more specifically, DLLs. ...To build pspi, you will need the headers from the Adobe Photoshop 6 SDK...

A stock Windows Gimp which has 32 bit support should be ok, but a 64 bit Gimp 2.9...?

I use pspi very occasionally on a 32 bit linux installation, there are few usable/worth-using .8bf filters around. fracalius, sinedotsII and wireworm I have available. Remember pspi works with .8bf filters not more recent ones.

I have a fair collection of old .8bf filters and many will not work on modern large images. Gone are the days when a 640x480 px canvas was the norm.

There is/was an alternative to pspi userfilter
http://registry.gimp.org/node/5096 and https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpuserfilter/
with many PS filters converted to the .guf format ... but ... The interface is usually horrible.
I might give this one a try in linux Gimp 2.9.5

The other way is shellout and XnView. Again not that many of the .8bf filters work but IMHO marginally better than pspi. That might work with 2.9.5. Anyone tried it?

Whichever way you go, best of luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You can use PSPI in GIMP-2.8.16 64 bit but the 8bf filters have to be 32 bit. No one has been able to compile PSPI in 64 bit yet. I have tried.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

One thing that is pretty cool. If you have the Filtermeister 8bf plug-in (registered) version you can compile and make your own 8BF filters within Filters/My Filters in GIMP. Filtermeister does now allow you to make 64 bit 8bf plugins along with a 32 bit. But as i stated above you can use only the 32 bit ones in GIMP.