It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing with menus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I recently switched over to a tiling window manager. There's a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is well worth it. At least, for me it is.

Part of the fun is coming up with new ways of looking at old things. Knowing that GIMP uses separate windows for toolboxes and such I thought I'd see if I could get creative with the layout. And I did. I managed to get all the important boxes onto one separate workspace so I can see them in large scale all at once;
This is still just an experiment. At the moment it's too awkward switching back and forth for it to be really useful. And I would ideally prefer for each individual menu to be in its own window. I could arrange it so the menus were narrow enough to all fit and the focused menu/window expanded to give a better view. But first I have to figure a way to make it easier to access the menus.

I think the extra viewing space is really nice. I thought I'd share the experiment to see what y'all thought.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Playing with menus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

That's :coolthup . Be good especially when you want to choose a font....you can see what they all look like at once. Actually I already had my brushes and patterns like that but not my fonts :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:41 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

If you really mean menus, you do know they have tear-offs (the dotted lines across the top of each menu) so can be put into individual windows?
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 96.6 KiB | Viewed 3888 times ]

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:49 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
That's :coolthup . Be good especially when you want to choose a font....you can see what they all look like at once. Actually I already had my brushes and patterns like that but not my fonts :)
I want to expand things even more. I really want each dialog to be its own window. I can tab the windows and switch between them with the keyboard. But that may take more coding knowledge than I possess.

paynekj wrote:
If you really mean menus, you do know they have tear-offs (the dotted lines across the top of each menu) so can be put into individual windows?
Kevin

I do tend to use "menu" for any box that lets me pick things :hehe If I can get these dialogs working the way I want, my next task will be to see if I can't get the filter menu opened up a bit. That may involve pasting the tear-offs into a larger window. Or it may, again, involve more knowledge than I possess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,

How can I switch the view to a tiling arrangement, such as the one shown. I want this view for gradient and fonts as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:37 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

josephbupe wrote:
Hi,

How can I switch the view to a tiling arrangement, such as the one shown. I want this view for gradient and fonts as well.

It's not something that is done in GIMP. It's done with the window manager I use in Linux. I really don't think I have the skill to explain it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:54 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I still prefer the unified window although i do have my tabs arranged in a similar way to you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

josephbupe wrote:
Hi,

Attachment:
FontGrid.png
FontGrid.png [ 127.94 KiB | Viewed 3812 times ]