It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Philosophical GIMP Portable Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:50 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Philosophical Question?

A question regarding Portable version of GIMP.

I was wondering how other Gimp users use the portable version.
Do folks use the computer version as well as the portable?
Do some use the portable version only?
Do some have the portable version just to have a backup and continue to use the computer version?

As for me, I've been using both. I have both versions set up and customized exactly the same.
It's so time consuming to set up and customize GIMP the way I like it so I have one on the computer and an equal one on a flashdrive.

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts.
Peter.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Philosophical GIMP Portable Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Peter wrote:
Philosophical Question?

Do some have the portable version just to have a backup and continue to use the computer version?

As for me, I've been using both. I have both versions set up and customized exactly the same.
It's so time consuming to set up and customize GIMP the way I like it so I have one on the computer and an equal one on a flashdrive.

Peter.

To customize Gimp you only have to copy the Gimp profile contents.

What is the purpose of "having a backup"? Don't you you make backups of your PC disk anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:51 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I used to only have the computer version.

After I installed the samJ portable, I found that (at least for me) it's much more easy to mantain my resources organized.

Of course, there's also the plus of being able to use a version of GIMP already tailored to my tastes in any place as long as I bring my pendrive - in my school, even though we could install any software we wanted on the computers, every time we turned them off they'd go through something like a ''factory reset'', so any change made was gone when you turn it on again. It's not that difficult to set up a custom GIMP, but doing it multiple times in the same week or even day becomes tiresome.

And it's very nice to introduce GIMP to other people this way; I had a teacher ask me where he could ''crack'' this GIMP software. :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I have a Gimp setup on my hard drive and have a portable on a flash drive. Both Partha's builds.
The hard drive one I customize it but dolittle changes to the portable.
I can still understand it in the default theme and it came with gmic so I didn't have to add it. I also use that one for work. At the moment I am the only one there who knows how to use gimp. When someone else wants to learn I will download one onto the computer there - I have been told I can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:49 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Peter wrote:
Philosophical Question?

Peter.

To customize Gimp you only have to copy the Gimp profile contents.

What is the purpose of "having a backup"? Don't you you make backups of your PC disk anyway?

Thanks for this reminder. I will make a copy of the GIMP profile and put that on my flashdrive.
I do not fully understand "backing up the PC disk."
The purpose of Flashdrive back up is to be prepared if/when my laptop crashes. In that case, I can buy a new computer and have GIMP up and running off of a flashdrive in no time flat.
And, as you suggested, have a back up of the "profile" to use with the new installation of GIMP on a new computer.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:52 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Dionísio wrote:
I used to only have the computer version.

After I installed the samJ portable, I found that (at least for me) it's much more easy to mantain my resources organized.

Of course, there's also the plus of being able to use a version of GIMP already tailored to my tastes in any place as long as I bring my pendrive - in my school, even though we could install any software we wanted on the computers, every time we turned them off they'd go through something like a ''factory reset'', so any change made was gone when you turn it on again. It's not that difficult to set up a custom GIMP, but doing it multiple times in the same week or even day becomes tiresome.

And it's very nice to introduce GIMP to other people this way; I had a teacher ask me where he could ''crack'' this GIMP software. :hehe

Thanks for responding. All that you said makes total sense to me. Especially the part about introducing a new user to GIMP.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
I have a Gimp setup on my hard drive and have a portable on a flash drive. Both Partha's builds.
The hard drive one I customize it but dolittle changes to the portable.
I can still understand it in the default theme and it came with gmic so I didn't have to add it. I also use that one for work. At the moment I am the only one there who knows how to use gimp. When someone else wants to learn I will download one onto the computer there - I have been told I can.

Thanks for sharing Sallyanne.
It's interesting to see how others use the flashdrive version.
I've not heard of "Partha." I'm using samj's version. Works well, also comes with G'MIC.
The only add on that I have not been able to get to work on the portable is the "Alpha to Logo" with "Bevel Reflect Logo."
I'll keep plugin along, no pun intended.
Happy New Year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

'Partha' has been building gimps for some time. I went back to Samj build when I found out because no one else was doing 32 bit, when I had a 32 bit computer. I don't think Partha does 32 bit any more because "there will be only 64 bit computers soon" (He said that a couple years ago.) https://www.partha.com/