It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 3 deprecating Python2 could cause a regression. Can we fix it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello, I made this thread to talk about python2's deprecation and how that can negatively effect Gimp users. I am really excited about Gimp 3's GEGL improvements, multilayer selection, GTK3 for HDMI scaling, and new "paint select wand". But I am not happy that they are deprecating python2 scripts. This is going to break 95% or more of the alpha to logo and script fu and stuff the Gimp community has made over the last fifteen years. In my personal case, Resynthesizer and a few script fus to bevel, chisel and outline grids are the only things that I am in danger of losing. And I am extremely worried about Resynthesizer as that will do severe damage to the Gimp community if it is lost.

I know some people here love specific scriptFU stuff like alpha to logo shenanigans. So I just made this thread to ask if we can find a hack to run python2 stuff in Gimp 3 or if anyone is up for porting py2 scripts to py3. I can also keep you guys updated on Resynthesizer's porting to py3 here. https://github.com/bootchk/resynthesize ... precations

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 3 deprecating Python2 could cause a regression. Can we fix it
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

This has already happened for Ubuntu users I think?
I would like to see a python3 code checker script. Something that would highlight deprecated code.

Post subject: Re: Gimp 3 deprecating Python2 could cause a regression. Can we fix it
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

If you run "gimp --verbose" you will see tons of scripts that would be in error on Gimp 3. I suppose porting py2 scripts to py3 would be ideal. Don't look at me, because I can't code my way out of a paper bag. I guess it would be a good idea to keep a copy of Gimp 2.10x appimage just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
If you run "gimp --verbose" you will see tons of scripts that would be in error on Gimp 3. I suppose porting py2 scripts to py3 would be ideal. Don't look at me, because I can't code my way out of a paper bag. I guess it would be a good idea to keep a copy of Gimp 2.10x appimage just in case.

I am going to make a personal flatpak of Gimp 2.10.2X (last version). From what I understand, Appimage will not bundle the python2 libraries. Only Flatpak can do stuff like that. It will need a python2 runtime though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

No, Appimages for version 2.10.x contain python2 libraries already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Porting general Python2 stuff to Python3 isn't hard, there are even programs for that. However,

1) The Gimp API has changed somewhat
2) AFAIK the auto-generated dialogs are no longer available (so script authors will have to invest a lot more time to write an UI)
3) This could also mean that Gimp is no longer distributed with a Python runtime

But all in all, sticking to Python2 is a dead end, I wish Gimp moved to Python3 (while keeping the same interface) ages ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

@racer-x

I have been testing the Gimp Appimages with Plugins and I can't get resynthesizer's heal to work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

contrast_ wrote:
@racer-x

I have been testing the Gimp Appimages with Plugins and I can't get resynthesizer's heal to work.
I use the appimage without plugins, but it shouldn't mater. This resyntheser plugin was compiled by rich2005. Unpack and put it in your: /home/user/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ folder. It works fine here.

Attachment:
ResynthesizerPlugin.zip [111.96 KiB]
Downloaded 96 times

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:40 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I tried and it is not working on my Gimp appimage, despite detecting it. Resyth's heal simply does not work. I go to >Enhance and select Heal and nothing happens.

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:10 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

You're obviously doing something wrong. I can't see what you are doing, so I can only guess. Did you make your selection before running the filter?