It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Layer Groups
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:42 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

I was going to ask here before I did this but thought I may as well try first.
I know a lot of people use many layers in drawing pictures and animations.
I recently found out (new for me) another use. I was doing a collage of my family and had over 100 layers. thought there had to be an easier way than going over each one until I found the one I wanted to move. (Even though I named some I still had to go through all them) I put them into different layer groups by categories. Just had to ungroup that group to move one. Then I could group them again. Made it much easier, I think.
If anyone knows of an easier way let me know please, just incase I do something like this again.
If you want to see a picture of my family pm me and I will give you the direct link. it is much to large for here and I have it hosted on Imgur.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Layer Groups
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:46 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
I put them into different layer groups by categories. Just had to ungroup that group to move one. Then I could group them again. Made it much easier, I think.
If anyone knows of an easier way let me know please, just incase I do something like this again.

you don't need to ungroup a whole layers stack in a group to move one layer,(then put them back in a group)?
Open the group where your layer is in, click on the layer you want to move, STAY clicked, and move the layer up or down, the layer's stack will start to slide when you reach the upper or lower part of the layer dialog (you can even control the sliding speed)
https://imgur.com/a/cd7xUkB

Or maybe I misunderstood?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I meant just undo the + (grouped) into a - (ungrouped) to find the layer I wanted, move picture around on the background and then press on the - again to group them again. I even found that whole folders/groups could be moved
Maybe I should have put it that way before

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

If you have problems use the Move tool option - "Move the active layer" - this can be a default see Edit > Preferences > Tool Options At the bottom next to Move Tool.

As you found all the contents of a Layer Group are moved with that enabled. Linked layers inside a layer group can be moved - (any linked layers move together)

All about knowing where you are in the layer stack. No need to ungroup anything.

FWIW a 1 minute animation https://i.imgur.com/ntboODu.mp4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:42 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
I meant just undo the + (grouped) into a - (ungrouped) to find the layer I wanted, move picture around on the background and then press on the - again to group them again. I even found that whole folders/groups could be moved
Maybe I should have put it that way before

Sorry I misunderstood, it can happen :mrgreen:
Have a great day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:09 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Sure can when you cannot hear the person's tone especially and if they are not clear with their explanation in the first place. It's ok :)