It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP being sold on Amazon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:09 am  (#1) 

I have a question. Why is PixelClassics selling GIMP, on DVD, on Amazon? Is that legal? It's a free download for anyone who wants to use GIMP. So, what's going on with PixelClassics selling GIMP on Amazon? I did notify Amazon about this in case this is illegal, and will have to wait to see what's said.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP being sold on Amazon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:28 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
GussNemo wrote:
I have a question. Why is PixelClassics selling GIMP, on DVD, on Amazon? Is that legal? It's a free download for anyone who wants to use GIMP. So, what's going on with PixelClassics selling GIMP on Amazon? I did notify Amazon about this in case this is illegal, and will have to wait to see what's said.

This shouldn't be happening.
Not sure of the legality of this, but reporting it could be an option.

Post subject: Re: GIMP being sold on Amazon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:52 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It is legal. From https://www.gimp.org/about/selling.html

Quote Is it legal to sell copies of GIMP?
Yes. The terms and conditions for copying, distribution and modification of GIMP are clearly listed in the GNU General Public License. Redistribution for free or for profit is specifically allowed, as long as the license is included and the source code is made available.

What is being sold is the distribution media (DVD or USB) + any extras + postage and unfortunately since it is via Ama-what-not, a cut for them.