It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GimPack ... This is only for Programmers...
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GimPack
This is only for Programmers... but they are always free to experiment even though little or nothing works.
We all agree that when we install Gimp, and without adding extras, it opens easily, quickly and cleanly.
But over time we add various things, Plugins, Scripts, Gradients, Fonts, Textures.
Among other things.
- (We have the addonCollectionManager that makes things easier for us, where we organize various things).
But, it still fills out Gimp and thus its opening performance.
What if there was an independent program, where we could store everything outside of Gimp?
In Folders on our Computer and open it whenever we need to, to install what we want?
And with that, Gimp would be much lighter, and its performance would be better.
Well, few or no Gimp users have heard of this GimPack program, only those who speak Portuguese, maybe a few more.
This program was used in Gimp.4 and went up to Gimp.6 and maybe 7.
As time progressed, Gimp changed, new things were installed, others stopped working, GimPack was one of them.
So here's a challenge just for those who understand Programming, and in doing so help Gimp users.
If you want to spend a little time seeing how the program works, I leave here a tutorial and explanation of how it works and the Link to Install the GimPack Program....

Attachments:
Program GimPack.zip [401.49 KiB]
Downloaded 13 times
Tuto.png
Tuto.png [ 331.02 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GimPack ... This is only for Programmers...
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:06 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp checks plug-ins, scripts and assets like e-maps as it loads every time. It logs console errors and often fails a script with a 'wire read error'. If you start Gimp from a terminal you are aware of this. One solution is get rid of your add-ons that fail the wire read check. Put them aside until they are repaired or you give-up on them.

GimPack seems to be for Windows only. What would happen if Gimp did no wire read checks? It would be running in an unsafe mode. You could edit gimp.c and switch it off and recompile it eh,eh,eh.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:40 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania..
I am a simple user of Gimp, where I like to play with the program... at most I can know how to install some, Plugins, Brushes and anything else that is provided to us by those who make them and here put GimpChat or on the Gimp-Forum
I don't know anything about programming (for me it's like speaking Chinese) so I put it here so someone who knows programming can compile it.
To run on multiple systems, Windows, Linux or any other.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:38 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
where we could store everything outside of Gimp?

I think everything is already stored in the local filesystem and Gimp only needs to access them at startup to make menu entries.

The zip has been downloaded a few time and maybe MareroQ will look at it and decide if it's worth keeping. Problem is it maybe obsolete as soon as it's fixed because of the release of Gimp 3.

If your system is slow then try to increase ram because Gimp is 'ram-dependent'. Maybe Gimp 3 is held-up because the devs want to implement OpenGL or OpenCL? This would shift graphics rendering to the GPU (graphics card) and not cpu/ram.

It's time-consuming but removing scripts, plug-ins and assets that don't work or are not used also speeds start time.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:26 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
Maybe Gimp 3 is held-up because the devs want to implement OpenGL or OpenCL?

GEGL actually has an OpenCL version you can enable in the Playground section of Preferences. It hasn't been worked on much recently so it's a bit unstable - we have a GSoC student working to improve it this summer. :)

Some of the main developers got sick after the LGM event, which naturally has slowed the schedule. Work's still being done, but not as fast as it would be when everyone's at 100%.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:36 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

CmykStudent wrote:
Some of the main developers got sick after the LGM event

Too much Coreff or too much galette-saucisse?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:56 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

( where we could store everything outside of Gimp? )
Tas_mania

You create a folder on your PC and give it a name GimPack.
Inside the folder you create subfolders with the name of the files you are creating..