It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So GEGL was made for nodes editing...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:03 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Yesterday I came by this article > https://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

At number 5. it's written: "The GEGL architecture is a node-based image processing library. Its implementation details have changed significantly since the original GEGL proposal in 2000, with each new GEGL technical lead, but the concept remains the same. GEGL is quite different architecturally from GIMP."

Would be nice to have it on the user interface, you could chose the order you link filters, or cross linked filters before to link to a node, possibilities could become huge like in Natron :bigthup :mrgreen:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: So GEGL was made for nodes editing...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:33 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for grabbing my attention. If you post something about GEGL there is a very high chance I will chime in a thread.

The GEGL syntax I write is exactly the same thing as linking nodes (like in pic) but it is just done in text form instead of a visual system where the user sees rectangles connected to lines.

The article's date only shows that GEGL was neglected by the STEM community as most of the stuff I am doing in GEGL today was likely possible since the late 2000s when Pippin wrote most of the operations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

About two years ago I read an article about a simple GEGL gui (that just ran individual filters) being made in qt (likely qt3-qt4). This was in the mid-late 2000s. It was an abandoned project and they said if Gimp ever integrates GEGL fully it can get huge attention from creative pros.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:35 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

contrast_ wrote:
Thank you for grabbing my attention. If you post something about GEGL there is a very high chance I will chime in a thread.

Indeed :hehe

contrast_ wrote:
The GEGL syntax I write is exactly the same thing as linking nodes (like in pic) but it is just done in text form instead of a visual system where the user sees rectangles connected to lines.

Now that start to make sense to me, thanks for re-orienting my mind-set :bigthup

contrast_ wrote:
they said if Gimp ever integrates GEGL fully it can get huge attention from creative pros.

I can't agree more with that, for me, just discovering that GIMP has nodes possibilities and never exploiting them, is really sad, too sad :cry

Thanks contrast_ for your update about it :bigthup