It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL operations ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:30 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Has anybody got this filter and how is it used? I read this on here http://www.gimp.org/ it's free to download it's zipped, tar formated. Once you have downloaded it where dose it go anybody has any idea?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GEGL operations ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:33 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

GEGL is built in to current versions of GIMP. It's under the Tools drop down menu. :)

edit:

Did download the files, but they are .c files and have not been compiled yet so they need to be compiled otherwise the files are useless. I don't know how to do this for Windows OS. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:18 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes Lyle is correct.GEGL ops are all setup in Gimps tool menu.
For instance here is Fractal explorer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:31 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Rod & Lyle: How well does the GEGL ops work on your machines? In Linux they seem terrificly buggy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:44 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Very slow especially the blur filters.Other than that on Widows XP they seem to work fine.
I rarely use them however.I wish it had a tool for composing and decomposing channels.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:54 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Other then C2G, I rarely even run them Mahvin. I do remember a few GIMP versions back that some GEGL operations would crash GIMP 32-bit (in Win7 64-bit which is where I use GIMP). Still, I did try a few of the operations in 2.6.10(and 11) and they seemed fine; still slow. If GEGL suppose to be the main engine where GIMP runs in, then I'm not looking forward to the future. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

My thoughts, exactly, Lyle. GEGL seems like an anchor not an engine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48 pm  (#8) 
Retired Staff

LOL, I tried running something (don't remember what it was) and the next thing I knew GIMP had crashed, kerplop, no GIMP.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:51 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Had a look in Gimp and used it but crashes when in use

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:51 am  (#10) 
Script Coder

I don't use them that often (except C2G) but I don't remember seeing one crashing Gimp. And the blur filter is about as fast as the standard one, the only difference is that instead of updating a progress bar and display the whole result at the end, it updates the screen on the go...

Gimp v3 with GEGL use floating point instead of short integer arithmetic. This is going to be slower, but then we will lose less time trying to fight the side effects of the short precision of the current version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

ofnuts wrote:
Gimp v3 with GEGL use floating point instead of short integer arithmetic. This is going to be slower, but then we will lose less time trying to fight the side effects of the short precision of the current version.

I'm not so certain that FP will be slower on most modern hardware. With dedicated FP hardware (such as SSE), addition and multiplication occur in a single cycle (same as integer), and while FP division and higher order functions take longer, they are typically faster than with integers. Of course, FP will require a lot more memory and this will have a negative impact upon the processor's memory caching; but then a lot of current libgimp arithmetic involves operations on individual bytes and this has a negative impact upon the processor's instruction lookahead parallelization (the lookahead optimization usually gets blocked when non-word-sized operands are encountered, whereas for word-sized operations the next few instructions can potentially be executed in parallel to the current one).

I'm not sure how it will all wash out (and if you care to instruct me, I'd be glad to be enlightened) but I get the feeling that the days of integer ops being faster than floating are over. ... and then there is the potential for OpenCL (which we should've had a decade ago had the graphics card vendors been more open with their hardware).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I have not experienced a crash yet (Windows XP 32 bit)
Just slower than all get out running most of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

maybe some crazy setting are causing that ^
Note that is very esy use crazy setting when using for the first time a unknow operation wich paramethers have cryptic label,
And it is not impossible that some GEGL operation have "crazy settings" as default because many developer don't give too importance to the default

I have this doubt because GEGL never crashes when i was using the operation that i know. but it did several time when i try unknow operations

another cause ,maybe the first, of crashes is impatience:
the filter require some time to produce visible result but the user fear gimp frozen or anyway can't wait without doing some extra clicks (as on the image windows hoping a extra click will speed up rendering, or on UNdo to try to defreeze)

But that "extra " clicks are possible reason for crash, gimp was busy doung something, then you give another order now gimp has to handle 2 orders that can be conflictual,and anyway ca)n't be executed simultaneusly
Often there are Locks preventing this (you will have seen a error message as "Gimp can't run 2 plugin or script simultaneusly,... ") but since gegl operations are still experimenthal maybe they don't use yet a similar way to deal with this users errors

I believe this can't be a probable reason for crash, at least happened once wth c2g...while waiting i secided to play some music but for some reason the mouse pointer focus was not on VLC the player that i was keeping on top,on a gimp window below, that extra click crashed gimp

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:23 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

uff too long message

In few words first AVOID to click somewhere if gimp seems frozen, extra clicks will not help to defreeze but may cause crashes even if everything was going well,and gimp was not freezed but just busy

And i bekieve the only gegl operation that may cause crashes are the less know, because in that case is easier chose wrong parameter, where for wrong i intended that will use too much computeres resources.

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:03 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I actually always wondered about GEGL and have been going to ask for some time...so now I have fiddled with it after reading this...no crashes as yet..havent really figured out what I would use it for but will give it a run soon...I liked some of the effects I have seen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Akky
Most of Gegl operation are just equivalent of the normal one with the same name (usually in fiilters or colors) the difference is that are a examples on how port old filters to gegl and most relevant for average users have a option to get the preview applied on the image

Then there are few that propsed something new that has no equivalent in the "Normal" filters as c2g

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:00 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Gimp v3 with GEGL use floating point instead of short integer arithmetic. This is going to be slower

Not neccessarily. GEGL can do mipmaps.