It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why Most People Incorrectly Assume Photoshop is Better than Gimp
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

I just saw there is layer effects - but it says last updated with 2.4.2 ..... I have 2.6.11 how do I get a more updated version?

Post subject: Re: Why Most People Incorrectly Assume Photoshop is Better than Gimp
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

It works fine in Gimp-2.6.11 also.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:34 pm  (#43) 

Speaking as an illustrator, I have kept an eye on Gimp for some time and have been mightily impressed with the progress made. Unfortunately, the one tool I really want is a macro/actions recorder and that seems to be very unlikely to happen.

I use actions a lot in Photoshop, for formatting various documents, creating my own special effects and basically speeding up repetitive tasks. This tool is by far the most cost-effective in time and for me money. As others have said, I'm not a coder, nor am I interested in becoming one.

So much as I like Gimp and admire its creators, I can't see myself using it anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:16 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with you. Macros would me 1000 times better then having to learn programming like Script-fu requires. I'm very greatful for those who had/have that desire and created the wonderful Script-fus that I have, but it would be cool for a non-programmer like me to put some of my ideas into using actions (macros) if you will. Maybe one day. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 pm  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

maybe someone can make a script-fu for that???

Well I got gimp tweaked.... I will tell you what I think.... will start working.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 pm  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Lori. I'm sure you are probably aware of the Registry, but, I don't like to assum either. It is the grandaddy of plugins/Script-fus/python plugins for GIMP. Also, I highly recommend that you install the python ability in GIMP if you haven't done so already. Lot's of cool python plugins available. :)

http://registry.gimp.org/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

I have seen the registry??? I think - seen too much with ubuntu that past few days.... LOL

In PS and PSP we have a preview of the whole item we are working on in the upper right hand corner.... ie so that when you are zoomed in, you can see the whole item.... you can also click on points on the image and your view goes there.... Is there anything like this in GIMP - trying to find it.... LOL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:45 pm  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP previews are pretty bad Lori. I agree that PS is superior with the previews especially since I upgraded to CS5 (rarely use it though; like Pixel Bender until it crashes my PC and have to reboot for stability issues since it hoses my NVidia driver; lol. Also like the fast zoom feature, but mainly I use PS to process my Leica Raw files). I'm much better with the GIMP no doubt and still not a master of it. I have an inner understanding too that I sort of know how a filter result will be even though the preview is all but useless, especially with the G'MIC plugin. Since I'm a sensor/feeler (Myers Briggs test), it's quite natural for me. Experience is key though and the only way to get it is to do. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:58 pm  (#49) 
Global Moderator

LoriMomOf9 wrote:
In PS and PSP we have a preview of the whole item we are working on in the upper right hand corner.... ie so that when you are zoomed in, you can see the whole item.... you can also click on points on the image and your view goes there.... Is there anything like this in GIMP - trying to find it.... LOL

It's not quite the same as PS but try this. In the top right of the Layers tab, Configure This Tab (red arrow), Add Tab, Images. Go back into the, Configure This Tab menu, Preview Size (yellow highlight), Enormous or Gigantic.

Attachments:
File comment: Configure This Tab menu
configure_this_tab-gimp.png
configure_this_tab-gimp.png [ 63.93 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]

Spirit Bear (Kermode)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:18 pm  (#50) 
GimpChat Member

Learn something new everyday about GIMP Odinbc; I did not know that one for whatever reason, but layer previews really weren't much of a concern for me. My issue, of course, is plugin previews of course (atrosious in GIMP to say the least unless you use a PS plugin compatible with PSPI that has it's own display interface which there are too few that do). I did set my layer preview to enormous by the way (gigantic was way too big for my taste). lol

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 pm  (#51) 
Global Moderator

View, Navigation Window works too.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 pm  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

Basically Gimp SCM scripts are action files that call procedures Gimp knows. ;)
There is Gimp Scripter a new plug-in for Gimp which allows you to throw together different filters and add it to the menus as a new item. https://github.com/bootchk/gimpscripter
Close enough to macro recording a set of steps in Gimp. Hopefully he keeps working on it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:11 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
LoriMomOf9 wrote:

It's not quite the same as PS but try this. In the top right of the Layers tab, Configure This Tab (red arrow), Add Tab, Images. Go back into the, Configure This Tab menu, Preview Size (yellow highlight), Enormous or Gigantic.

Thank you Odinbc - at least that gives me a view.....

Trying to see if I can upgrade via Partha..... not sure all I am doing - but I will get there eventually

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Well if I can't get a grip on "HOW" to tweak GIMP better.... I probably will be going back to windows.... I can't spend that much extra time each day creating something on GIMP....
I am willing to put in the time to get GIMP tweaked.... but I seem to be getting no where on figuring out how.... :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:28 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

How about the navigation Window for previews..... look under view - Then you can attach it to one of your tool bars....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:40 pm  (#56) 
Global Moderator

LoriMomOf9 wrote:

Use the same method I mentioned about adding images to a tab. "Navigation Window" is more like PS, "Images" is good for switching between multiple open images (windows).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:30 pm  (#57) 
Script Coder

LoriMomOf9 wrote:

It is unclear to me whether your concern is with the previews that appear in plug-in dialogs (such as the smaller window in "Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur"), or just having a fullsize preview while doing your normal editing.

For the latter, I would suggest trying a second display for your image. GIMP calls these displays "views" and you can create a new one using the "View->New view" command. This second view can be at any zoom level you want, independent of the first display. (You could, for example, have one view at 10% so you can see the whole image and the other at 2000% so you can edit individual pixels.)

You can have as many views as you want for your image, and you can edit your image (paint, make selections, add paths, etc) in whichever view you want and the changes will update all of the views. You can also customize the display within a view so that, for example, one view might show grid lines, menus, and the rulers while the other shows just the image (see the commands in the View menu for other options).

Attachment:
SSview.jpg
SSview.jpg [ 164.61 KiB | Viewed 2660 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:51 pm  (#58) 
Global Moderator

saulgoode wrote:
For the latter, I would suggest trying a second display for your image. GIMP calls these displays "views" and you can create a new one using the "View->New view" command. This second view can be at any zoom level you want, independent of the first display.

Am I missing something here, how is "View->New view" command better and closer to PS "Navigation Window" than Gimp add tab, "Navigation Window" or "Images" window? Gimp "Navigation Window" is almost exactly like PS and adding an "Images" window tab is so cool when used to change between open images (windows).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 am  (#59) 
Script Coder

Odinbc wrote:
Am I missing something here, how is "View->New view" command better and closer to PS "Navigation Window" than Gimp add tab, "Navigation Window" or "Images" window? Gimp "Navigation Window" is almost exactly like PS and adding an "Images" window tab is so cool when used to change between open images (windows).

Using multiple views is not a substitute for the Navigation dialog. You may wish to use both.

http://barn.kerosenecow.net/u/saul/m/mu ... mage-2910/

Last edited by saulgoode on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:06 am  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

I wanted the navigation window - because I can click on an area in the navigation window and it will take me to that on my zoomed in area.... I also see some great merit in the new view method - it will be great when extracting an area....!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next