It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Text Tool and Font Name/Info
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:42 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

is there a way to add information to text, maybe with a script ?

everytime i use a font and make no note what font and size it is in the information line, its gets lost at some time in the creative process
that means i have to get through the hassle of browsing all my fonts, to find the one i used

it would be cool if GIMP added the name and size automatically, when you choose a font, just as G'Mic adds filter information in the description line

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Text Tool and Font Name/Info
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I usually keep an exf of what I do...I have a folder just for my xcf's. If I get desperate to know the font I used I just load up the xcf, choose the text layer and text tool, and it's there. But I don't know of an easier way besides keeping an actual list of the graphic's title and font used.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

2-ton wrote:
I usually keep an exf of what I do...I have a folder just for my xcf's. If I get desperate to know the font I used I just load up the xcf, choose the text layer and text tool, and it's there. But I don't know of an easier way besides keeping an actual list of the graphic's title and font used.

Yes, but you have to make sure the text layer is still a try text layer...

Molly have a shot at my "text-info" script you'll find here. It shows up in the right click menu in the layers dialog. It can display (as an error message or in error console) the info found in a "parasite" that Gimp attaches to Text layers. The parasite seems to outlive the "text" status of the layer.

Note: the image must be saved at least once, because it seems the parasite is only created when saving the image.

My script only retrieves the parasite contents, but it has absolutely no control on when/how it is generated (and saved...)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

@2-ton the moment you discard the text information so that its finally rendered, all the information is lost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 am  (#5) 
Retired Staff

ofnuts wrote:
"text-info" script you'll find here. It shows up in the right click menu in the layers dialog. It can display (as an error message or in error console) the info found in a "parasite" that Gimp attaches to Text layers. The parasite seems to outlive the "text" status of the layer.

Note: the image must be saved at least once, because it seems the parasite is only created when saving the image.

My script only retrieves the parasite contents, but it has absolutely no control on when/how it is generated (and saved...)
The script shows in my layers dialog on right-click, I have given it permission to execute in the permissions in the properties, I click it and I don't see anything.

The image is a saved png image. Where do I look to find the text info?

BTW, sometimes I make a layer in my xcf files when I want to be sure to keep info about the image. I write the Font, Size, any spacing I do with it, put color swatches and names of scripts. Any tidbit of info I might want later, merge it to a white layer, move it to the bottom of the layer stack, name the layer "info" and turn it off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:55 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

The only time I've wanted to remember settings, I have gone to Image>Image Properties selected the comment tab and typed in a mini tutorial of the settings used, Its handy as it opens in a new window so you can open it and leave it open as you work through the steps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

That looks really handy he4rty. I didn't even know that was there. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I never realized about the comment tab...looks to be very handy for when I do a series of posters where I want certain things the same in all of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

When I am trying to remember the steps or even go back when I realize I did something wrong without any undo, I use the save as backup tool. It saves a backup of your file with date and time and in a xcfgz format. This way you can always go back and see the text info.

http://registry.gimp.org/node/14246

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Esper wrote:
is there a way to add information to text, maybe with a script ?

everytime i use a font and make no note what font and size it is in the information line, its gets lost at some time in the creative process
that means i have to get through the hassle of browsing all my fonts, to find the one i used

it would be cool if GIMP added the name and size automatically, when you choose a font, just as G'Mic adds filter information in the description line

I guess I am not understanding your difficulty. If you double-click on a text layer in the Layers dialog, or click on the layer in the Image window with Text Tool*, then the Tool Options for the Text Tool will show the original text's font and size (and color, and spacing, and justification...). Why is this not sufficient?

* If the layer has been converted from a text layer to a graphic layer then you can choose either Create New Layer or Edit Layer to produce a text layer with the original text attributes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

learning all sorts of handy hints on this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
* If the layer has been converted from a text layer to a graphic layer then you can choose either Create New Layer or Edit Layer to produce a text layer with the original text attributes.
???
How so ?

What im thinking of is, that fontname and size is automatically added to the Layername just as G'MIC apparently does with some effects
i am doing this most of the time, but if it was automatically added, that would be most convenient

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

Oregonian wrote:
The script shows in my layers dialog on right-click, I have given it permission to execute in the permissions in the properties, I click it and I don't see anything.

The image is a saved png image. Where do I look to find the text info?.

The info is displayed either as a mesage box, of it you have the message console open somewhere, in the message console. But as said above it works only on layers from an XCF file. If won't guess the contents of a PNG.