It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single Window mode in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 am  (#1) 
Retired Staff

When I first started using GIMP, I really hated the 3-window mode. I tried a program called Gimp Shop which had a single Gimp desktop but it was very buggy and crashed frequently, so I switched to the "real" GIMP.

After a few years, I got used to the 3-window mode.

Now that I have the option to have a Single-Window mode in Gimp, I find that I don't like it all that well and prefer the old 3-window mode.

Two things I really don't like about single-window mode is that there is no X up in the corner I can click to close the last image. Yes, I know, I can do Ctrl + W or File > Close, but that X up in the corner was much handier.

Another thing I don't like is that when I have two images open, I can't drag a layer from one image to the other. I've tried dragging it to the other image preview window, to the toolbox, still won't drag to the other image. The best I can come up with is copying the layer and switching to the other image and pasting it as a layer and then anchoring it as a new layer.

Has anyone come up with a better way to do either of those things? Anyone else not liking single-window mode as well as 3-window?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Single Window mode in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I like the single window mode myself

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I like the single.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
... Another thing I don't like is that when I have two images open, I can't drag a layer from one image to the other. I've tried dragging it to the other image preview window, to the toolbox, still won't drag to the other image. The best I can come up with is copying the layer and switching to the other image and pasting it as a layer and then anchoring it as a new layer....

That's an acknowledged bug. Another workaround is to switch to multi-window mode, drag (copy) the layer to the image you want it in then switch back to single window mode.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Two things I really don't like about single-window mode is that there is no X up in the corner I can click to close the last image. Yes, I know, I can do Ctrl + W or File > Close, but that X up in the corner was much handier.

Either I didn't get your question, or... but it's still present in Windows version of GIMP 2.8. Is it different on Linux?

Oregonian wrote:
Another thing I don't like is that when I have two images open, I can't drag a layer from one image to the other. I've tried dragging it to the other image preview window, to the toolbox, still won't drag to the other image. The best I can come up with is copying the layer and switching to the other image and pasting it as a layer and then anchoring it as a new layer.
Has anyone come up with a better way to do either of those things? Anyone else not liking single-window mode as well as 3-window?

Dragging a layer of one image to the other image was available in 2.8.0 as an "accidental" feature (read "bug") because (as Michael Natterer explained) single mode image transition coding was not completed for 2.8 release. The feature, though, will be reintroduced in 2.10 release.
What I do to copy/paste a layer from one image to the other - I drag a layer over to the toolbox area - it opens this layer as a new image. Then I drag a tab of this new image and hover over the tab of the image I want to paste this layer to. When that image shows in main window I drop the tab to canvas. Copy/paste operation in 2 seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

The x is present in my Linux-Fedora17 in the single window mode.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:02 am  (#7) 
Retired Staff

[quote="K1TesseraEna"]
Either I didn't get your question, or... but it's still present in Windows version of GIMP 2.8. Is it different on Linux?

No, what I'm talking about is the X in the corner of the image window that closes only the image and leaves the empty image window. It is only when there is one image open. When there is more than one image open, the thumbnail/preview has an X next to it.

From this ...

To this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I like multi window mode, because I will have messenger and various websites running while gimping usually. Sometimes I put on a movie on the left and make a sig on the right. It's nice to slide things around the desktop wherever they'll fit. Or arrange it all like a mosaic if they don't fit.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
No, what I'm talking about is the X in the corner of the image window that closes only the image and leaves the empty image window. It is only when there is one image open. When there is more than one image open, the thumbnail/preview has an X next to it.

From this ...

To this.

But there is an x on image tabs, which is very convenient, IMO

Having 3 monitors I switch to multi-window mode when need to see at once more than one image currently opened in GIMP.
But in 2.8.2 you can position mouse pointer over image tabs and scroll up and down the mouse wheel to quickly switch between images. Pretty cool feature, BTW!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 am  (#10) 
Retired Staff

That is not available, k1te, when there is one image open. I know, I've tried it. The only way to close the final image in single window mode is to use the keyboard shortcut to close or File > Close. The x in the right corner of single window mode closes gimp, not the image.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
That is not available, k1te, when there is one image open. I know, I've tried it. The only way to close the final image in single window mode is to use the keyboard shortcut to close or File > Close. The x in the right corner of single window mode closes gimp, not the image.

Ok, now I get what you're saying. But this must be a bug, maybe specific to Linux version of GIMP, because in Windows it does close the last image, but not GIMP.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am  (#12) 
Retired Staff

Well, darn, all that much ado about nothing. That's what I get for assuming that would close down Gimp. I gave it a run through and it closed the image and left gimp going.

Mea culpa. Much embarrassment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I like the single window mode, I'm using ubuntu and found that switching between desktops when using the 3 window mode didn't work, one of the toolbox windows would always jump onto another desktop. But in single mode just need to click the icon on the left side of the screen and it changes to that desktop top, handy when following an online tutorial.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:56 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

the main reason I waited so long for 2.8 was for single window mode. The 3 separate windows drove me crazy. I really like the single window.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I always like the 3 windows, and never thought I would like a single window. Now I like it better, lol. I must admit, there are a few times that the triple window can be handy, but 99% of the time the single window is more convenient for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Multiple panes are great for dual monitors, but I don't have that anymore.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.