It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIYS vs. Scripts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:05 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've seen a lot of new scripts since I joined here. Often they are automating something that could probably be done by hand. I'm not condemning the use of filters or scripts, or plug ins. I suppose it stands to reason that there might be some people out there that rather dig deep and do things the hard way just to learn new ways to do things. To finagle it out. I'm sure writing scripts is probably a similar obsession for some. I know coders. Y'all crazy like. :geeking

I'd like to know which side of the spectrum you fall in and why. Like open a little discussion. I'm no way trying to set up a fence or anything like that. Just curious idle thinking here.

Personally I am intrigued with the variety of abilities GIMP comes with. How the simple things often leave a huge impact on the finished product. And my win happens when someone that knows nothing about these things asks me how I did it. My answer is always, magic.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: DIYS vs. Scripts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I love all or most of the scripts. I think these script writers should be very proud of the way they put these together just by looking at the project and figuring out how to write a script for it. We have some brilliant scriptors here on this forum. :pengy

On the other hand, it does make a person lazy, at least it does me by counting on scripts to do what we should be able to figure out for ourselves.
This is why I like to try a lot of the tutorials, so I can see how things come together, without it being done for me. :gimp

So, I like both sides of the coin. :paint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

i love scripts and plug-ins, there aren't enough filters in this world for me. if i make pictures in gimp i want the process to be as quick and effortless as possible, because i'm addicted to creating stuff and have too little time and energy in an ordinary working week to get much "real" creating done - gimp work is sort of my quick fix. so if i can do something by just running a script instead of going through all the steps myself i get more time over for the really important stuff. on the other hand, i like learning how a script actually works because then i can tweak the process in unexpected ways and make unexpected discoveries, so i do that once in a while too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

obviously im very pro to making stuff manually

i do install a lot of scripts, just in case i might need them at some point in the future, but mostly stuff that i really expect to find a use for
i almost never use text effect scripts - find it boring and it feels like cheating to me
but of course it depends on the context, there may come a time when i want to make a chart, for example, that i want to make look good, but the text really isnt the main focus, then a script might come in handy

after all the reasearch ive done in the last few days, ive come to the conclusion that you just can not make everything by hand and sometimes a script can do stuff better than a human can

for example i love the clone layer script, it saves so much time - it is a real tool
used it a lot for my bumpmap charts

one thing i wish i was able to, is translating scripts back into a technique
because sometimes i would really like to know what the script is exactly doing, but its difficult for me to decipher the code

also i think a lot of script-interfaces are a bit too ugly and user unfriendly but it seems that has to do with the coding language
on the other hand, the clone layer script is really beautiful, it has little diagrams and is very user friendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

I do most stuff manually. When I find I need to do (or are doing) the same task over and over, I usually write a script for it. That is the origin for most of the scripts I write - to address a personal need. If I can spend less time writing the script and using the script, I write a script.

Given that, there are a few scripts written by other folks I use all the time - either as originaly written or modified to meet my own needs more specifically.

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I love using scripts as it does save time, but I also like to know how the scripts works. In the best of my world, I would want to learn to do an effect by hand, then have a script for it. I would then be able to understand all the variables and how to use them, plus save time by not having to do it all by hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I understand that you obviously mean some of the 'artistic' or 'effects' filters. Not all of them.

You wouldn't wanna do what some so called 'utility' scripts do. It would be extremely boring and senseless.
Or the ones that involve a lot of calculations. For example, mapping image to the spinning cube manually.

Theoretically, yes, everything that is done by the scripts and plugins could be done manually.
Scripting automation process is no mystery, scripts and plugins call for procedures from the GIMP pdb (procedural database). Humans can do what the scripts do using those procedures (crop, select, paint, copy, rgb values, etc., etc., etc.) or simply typing in commands in the Filter>Python/Script consoles.

Do it by hand? Why not? But bear in mind that good scripts and plugins are written by smart people, they include a lot of parameters to play around with, and it would probably take a lifetime to check out and tweak all the possible outcomes from a single plugin like Gimpressionist.
Besides, using extreme values in some complicated scripts you can discover some totally unexpected and interesting results, the results that neither you nor even script authors have ever envisioned. See the thread rendering with Gimpressionist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I occasionally want to do something, but don't do it often enough to remember all the steps. Brain doesn't retain like it once did. It can be timestaking and a pain to find the tutorial again. That is assuming that I remember enough to do a proper search. (Brain again) Having a script or plugin makes life a lot easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:16 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I want to reiterate, I in no way, want to take away from the brilliance of the kind of people it takes to write any kind of programming. I can't do it. One, I'm awful at math, two I use words creatively and I probably would end up writing a letter to the program asking it nicely to please magic. So my hat comes off for those of you that can wax technical and have the equations to back it up.

Yes, K1Tess, I mean the pretty scripts, mostly effects, artistic and such. I totally agree with your point. From my perspective as 'end user', I appreciate a script that simplifies the bare bones of things.

I think a lot of the magic GIMP holds for me is my approach to it. I like to spend my time poking around with a basic image and prod different filters and effects. Basically well what if I ___, will it ___? Oh it did ___. This looks cool, post it. So pretty much I am somewhere in the middle, leaning a little further towards the understanding through doing side of things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

ek22 wrote:
two I use words creatively and I probably would end up writing a letter to the program asking it nicely to please magic.
:rofl brilliant !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I was actually thinking about this recently too... I come from the scripting side of things and did notice a large portion of the tutorials I see on here could be automated. But I decided not to start making them because a lot of them are for a one off task so a script wouldn't really be saving a lot of time, plus I think it takes the fun out of creating stuff if everything is the click of a single button :D

Like others have said the most useful kind are where it would be nearly impossible to do by hand or something that is very time consuming that you have to do all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Yeah, Esper, I liked that paragraph too. :clap :hi5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Speaking for myself, coding is one of the only way I have to apply "complex" effects on image, without too much pain. I've converted some tutorials described here into G'MIC scripts, because honestly I wouldn't be capable of doing the steps manually in a decent time. I just don't master GIMP enough.
As I've designed my own script language for image processing, of course I'm more comfortable coding the effect in G'MIC, than trying anything else (manual steps, but also coding it in script-fu, python, ...).
For non-artistic people who have coding skills, writing scripts can be sometimes faster than doing the things manually !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 am  (#14) 
Script Coder

I do write scripts (and coding is a way of life for me) but the scripts I write are usually for things that are either impossible or very tedious to do by hand (numerous iterations, complicated calculations). I prefer to do the 'artistic' stuff by hand because that's where the fun is (and writing a script that allows all variations would require a huge parameterization dialog).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

No there is no DYS vs Scripts from my point of view:
It should not be seen as "versus " :
See as opposite, antagonist options will create dramatic self imposed limitations :wh

"Do by yourself" could become a nightmare when force to do manually endless series of boring, repetitive gestures, poisoning the joy of the creative flow

But know HOW a script plugin works,( i don't mean understand its code but just know what steps automatize , what does to the image ) give a more natural, relaxed yet complete control of the results,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A quick example clear the concept , the old "Layer effects " script and its "Drop Shadow"

In this case to got what the script does it is only needed to check "preserve layers " before run it and to see the new layers

I am not too happy of that drop shadow script

but once i saw what the script does and how (just looking at the new layers it create, are self explicative ) i could see how improve (i duplicate the new layers, apply progressive amount of gaussian blur on the "shadow" , and re tune layers opacity )

As only DIYS I would never find the patience to do all manually,:gaah
as only script the default sucks :roll: and if you don't know the manual correspondent would be much harder learn how to use it at best
(FOR SCRIPT FU, for Plugin the preview may help to explore something more adapt then the default )...

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:13 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I see everyday several plugins created or modified by the great coders of the forum, but I find it unfortunate to miss a script because I could not read all the forum posts.
I have seen that there is a topic, summary of all tutorials by authors, but I wondered if existed a same topic for scripts or plugins on the forum ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Up at the top of page Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

steeno wrote:
I see everyday several plugins created or modified by the great coders of the forum, but I find it unfortunate to miss a script because I could not read all the forum posts.
I have seen that there is a topic, summary of all tutorials by authors, but I wondered if existed a same topic for scripts or plugins on the forum ?

This is weird. I just came to the forum with exactly that question on my mind. (I got my replacement comp up and running.) I was totally prepared to write those exact words. *cue eerie music*

And here is molly, saving the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I like to do things manually as well but I also do use the scripts mainly the ones which would call for a lot of repetition in the work.

I also like to use the scripts which enanble you to keep the layers, quite often I have run a text effect script and deleted all but one layer then started modifying it to suit my needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

I've been reading these posts, seeing what peoples opinions are. I arrived at the conclusion that scripting is art in its own right. GIMP, made up of all these scripts, codes and whatever other heathen magics I am unfamiliar with, is a piece of artwork in and of itself. Furthermore, Photocomix was right in his post. There really isn't a versus here. Art is art, no matter how you choose to express yourself. But then this is probably just me stating the obvious. I'm sure you guys have known this all along.