It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I have my wishlist for sure. It's enormous but I will tell you later.
Just curious how many features I'd like to see in GIMP are on other people's minds too.
Please, list here GIMP feature (or features if there are few) you long for.
It could be small, could be most innovative and revolutionary or even crazy.

I can promise you one thing - this kind of thought exchange will broaden your vision of the program and maybe
even help you discover features you had no idea existed.

Lets get started?

P.S. 16-bit and 32-floating point color depth support are coming in the next stable version and already available in dev 2.9 version, so please don't list it.
User interface improvements are OK unless it is too vague. Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:04 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Well it looks like a decent warp tool and the equivalent of adjustment layers might be here with node editing so the final thing I would like Gimp developers to do for us painters is give us a perspective tool then I will have no more need to gripe about them ignoring us in favour of graphics and photography. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:12 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe not really a feature, but GIMP always sucks up my whole 2 GB memory, I wish they can reduce that in the future. GIMP crashes a LOT here, because my PC just can´t handle it..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
Well it looks like a decent warp tool and the equivalent of adjustment layers might be here with node editing so the final thing I would like Gimp developers to do for us painters is give us a perspective tool then I will have no more need to gripe about them ignoring us in favour of graphics and photography. :)

There is already a perspective tool... what is it missing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Erisian wrote:

There is already a perspective tool... what is it missing?

Explain. Is this a feature of 2.8 because it doesn't exist in 2.6.11.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ah, I'm referring to a perspective grid that enables painters to paint perspective properly not the warp tool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Talking of warping.
I'd like to see an IWarp (now available under Filters/Distortion) operating as a std tool with a grid on the image (adjustable in number of pixels per square), a zooming capability, etc to be able to make subtle modification on pictures (especially on facial pictures) by pointing/moving the mouse. The filter IWarp allows already these changes, but - at least for me - it's difficult to operate precisely..
So, this is my first entry on the topic...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:38 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Talking about Foreground selection.
Did the experimental foreground selection seen some times ago disappear or will be included in a future official release?
Or - more generally: I'd like to have a very good foreground selection tool, accurate on difficult situations.
An improvement similar to what introduced in the inpaint tool under G'MIC (patch based version, I guess it's called).
My second entry on the topic...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Not a feature, but a standard rule.
I'd like to see GIMP development to set a new standard for all compiled plug-ins so that the menu position is read from a separate editable file, where each user can decide where to put what; like a "pluginrc" file (which operates a posteriori), a "pluginmenu" file, which should operate a priori, when plug-ins are loaded to determine (re-determine) the position in the menu.
(samj knows my desire, I asked once her to introduce this capability on those plug-ins that she recompiles, but - fully correctly - she replied: I'm not a GIMP developer, ask the development team, so I put now this desire here, who knows...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

In my opinion Gimp has everything it needs to be a great photo and graphic design tool.Those things just need to be tweaked a little bit.But if i could get one thing, it would be a nice 3D extrude tool.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Speaking of patterns a pattern maker would be useful also.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

- a built-in bug-free layerfx
- a shortcutbar that lets me repeat last effect, without going into a menu or using a keyboard-shortcut, same with deselect
- a leftclick menu for the channels-tab, so i can call up a selection with one click, without having to navigate inside the tab
- the offset dialog values are always resetted, i want them to stay
- also the offset dialog needs a different location in the menu and the possibility to put in angle-values instead of x/y coordinates
- fixed Blendmodes (Overlay/Soft Light) and some more added

Last edited by Esper on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:20 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
Ah, I'm referring to a perspective grid that enables painters to paint perspective properly not the warp tool.

You mean something that would give results similar to:
- Create a square grid patj wih the path tool
- Apply the perpective transform to it

And come to think of it, in my corner of the woods, what is really missing is a script to create a square grid path...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:27 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I'd like to see a don't show again button in the create new layer dialog box. But then there would have to be a way to turn it back on too. Or maybe instead of turning it off if I could just use the tab key to choose the background instead of having to mouse over the dialog to choose one and then mouse over the OK button. I make a lot of new layers when I work.

A keyboard shortcut to access pallet colors other than just X to toggle between the current foreground and background. Maybe add a few more colors that are frequently used.

A way to turn path to selection (Shift + V) without the selection being anti-aliased.

Something that will work like recording actions in PS.

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:07 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

After thinking about it I want to change my request for the new layer dialog. If the new layer dialog (Ctrl + Shift + N) had a way to choose the layer mode and opacity that would be really nice. Or even nicer would be a way to save a configuration that can then be chosen. Kind of like the way the Curves dialog box saves curves.

The two features that sets gimp apart from PS (imho) is the [Select] [Border] [Feather] and the [Gradient] [Shaped Angular]. Now if the [Select] [Border] was able to feather on either the inside or the outside or both that would be great. But if it could feather the inside from say 0 percent opaque to 50 percent opaque and then the the outside from 50 percent opaque to 100 percent opaque that would be even better. But the best would be if the dialog included a way to feather with pre-saved curves or gradients.

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Oh yeah I just had another thought. What if you could create a curve in the curves dialog box and save it as a gradient. That would make creating gradients so much easier. The way it is now you have to give gradients linear or sinusoidal or linear etc.

I have been using the Sample gradient along a path.

And while In mentioning the Curves dialog what about a way to have handles on the curve nodes in the curves dialog box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

The preview windows for the different filters are too small in general, so bigger versions would be good. Also the cage transform tool for me is slow and doesn't work very well. I can get around this problem by using curve bend but again the preview window is small and there's a lack of user control over the image being manipulated.
Some kind of a transform tool with anchors and nodes like the path tool has would be cool.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:05 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I would love to see more built-in image effects. Perhaps a 3d and a Vector effect as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 pm  (#19) 
Script Coder

PegLeg44 wrote:
I'd like to see a don't show again button in the create new layer dialog box. But then there would have to be a way to turn it back on too. Or maybe instead of turning it off if I could just use the tab key to choose the background instead of having to mouse over the dialog to choose one and then mouse over the OK button. I make a lot of new layers when I work.

You can hold down SHIFT while clicking on the New Layer button in the Layers dialog and a new layer will be created without prompting. The fill color of the layer is the same as the last time you created a new layer, and the size of the new layer is the image size.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm  (#20) 
I wish upon a star...
That the dialog popup windows for all plugins, scripts etc would remember their last screen positions/sizes when opening to be the same as where I position them.
I know you can save the main Gimp window positions/sizes via the Preferences, and I have used this to position my Gimp windows at start.
But I mean all the other dialog windows that pop up during use.
I could live with them reverting back on a restart of Gimp, but surely during a session it would be possible to remember where it last was moved to....

The reason this irks me so much is I have 3 monitors.
I run them in NVidia's SLI, so Windows 7 sees them as one large monitor @ 5760 x 1080.
It is annoying that most (all?) dialog windows open in the upper left of the screen by default.
I drag the window closer to the center of screen, change settings, click OK, then next time I re-open that script, the dialog window defaults back to the left side again.

Someone please tell me that this feature exists and I am yet to stumble across the setting ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next