It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: suggestion: plugin browser
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:33 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I'm detaching my reply to Graechan in a broader discussion:

Graechan wrote:
There is some discusion (...) whether the script-fu.exe plugin could be altered to allow 2 menu columns as it's length puts the lower part of the menu off screen and I'd welcome any input you may have on this or shortening the length of our menu's

I have input:
There should be a filter browser.
A menu is essentially 2D, and is NOT adequate to the wealth and diversity of plugins available, and their visual nature.

The problem is even more serious: even with a single-column menu, there's no compatibility with other gimp installations, menu items can be ordered in different ways, and half of the plugin names doesn't disclose their functionality (95% if you're not experienced with graphics)

A plugin browser should have
    [li]plugin's sample image[/li]
    [li]all-plugins-thumbnail preview of current image (with default values)[/li]
    [li]faceted search [/li]
    [li]search by tags[/li]
    [li]search by keywords: in title, in description, or both[/li]
    [li]full description[/li]
    [li]"similar-to..." so if you found something that's nearly what you want, you could browse around[/li]
    [li]not to crash when either fields above is missing[/li]
    [li]possible translations to other languages[/li]
    [li]other meta data (i.e. author, website link, documentation/help link, download link, version, compatibility, filter or generator, animation, lisence, date, dependencies)[/li]
    [li]multi platform[/li]
    edit: [li]be able to read meta-data / updates from the online gimp repository website[/li]

(if i could manage to run python on my gimp i'd start writing it by now...)

does such browser exist already?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: suggestion: plugin browser
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:00 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

You do know that the Procedure Browser (Help>>Procedure Browser) also browses the plug-ins and gives some of the search functionality you are asking for?

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:31 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

keshef wrote:

I have input:
A menu is essentially 2D, and is NOT adequate to the wealth and diversity of plugins available, and their visual nature.

The problem is even more serious: even with a single-column menu, there's no compatibility with other gimp installations, menu items can be ordered in different ways, and half of the plugin names doesn't disclose their functionality (95% if you're not experienced with graphics)
Quote:

I think here is a misunderstanding, i wrote about 2 column layout for script fu (and not sure even if this possible) , t regain sufficient space on the script interface for many options .
i was not referring to gimp for gimp menu

And i don't get you point about "compatibility with other gimp installation":
usually 1 gimp is more then sufficient , if you need more for curiosity (as to try beta version) or special needs it is possible , how depend on the OS (win, linux..) on win the most simple to avoid conflict is use portable versions

But why you expect compatibility with different versions ? Almost no software allows it, you may use as example photoshop, excel, skype, but just 1 version , ...at least no more then 1 version without complications

edit: [li]be able to read meta-data / updates from the online gimp repository website[/li]

I fear almost impossible for the points how reported ..
.there is a complete list of plugin and script in the help, with a image of the script and explications for the option , but to that many more may added and not always the author provide a additional help , and even if he do usually can't be (easily) installed, most people found already difficult install script or plugin, no much hope that they will install even additional help pages

Quote:

not supported, more scripts can't have a preview, so as now impossible to support and even if possible a preview of the results of all plugins applied to the current imagine will freeze gimp forever

edit: [li]be able to read meta-data / updates from the online gimp repository website[/li][/quote]

Not sure what you intend for online gimp repository website , if was the plugin registry actually that site is even difficult to browse , for sure can't offer automatic updates

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:10 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

keshef wrote:
I'm detaching my reply to Graechan in a broader discussion:

Graechan wrote:
There is some discusion (...) whether the script-fu.exe plugin could be altered to allow 2 menu columns as it's length puts the lower part of the menu off screen and I'd welcome any input you may have on this or shortening the length of our menu's

I have input:

[list]
[li]faceted search [/li]
[li]search by tags[/li]
[li]search by keywords: in title, in description, or both[/li]
[li]full description[/li]
[li]"similar-to..." so if you found something that's nearly what you want, you could browse around[/li]
[li]not to crash when either fields above is missing[/li]
[li]possible translations to other languages[/li]
[li]other meta data (i.e. author, website link, documentation/help link, download link, version, compatibility, filter or generator, animation, lisence, date, dependencies)[/li]
[li]multi platform[/li]

(if i could manage to run python on my gimp i'd start writing it by now...)

does such browser exist already?

I think in GnuTux thread they were discussing a completely different UI related matter.
But, since this was re-posted in my thread I felt compelled to reply.

<<There should be a filter browser.
there IS, Help>Plugin Browser (see the screenshot)
<<A menu is essentially 2D, and is NOT adequate to the wealth and diversity of plugins available, and their visual nature.

<<The problem is even more serious: even with a single-column menu, there's no compatibility with other gimp installations, menu items can be ordered in <<different ways, and half of the plugin names doesn't disclose their functionality (95% if you're not experienced with graphics)

<<A plugin browser should have
<<[li]plugin's sample image[/li]
More often than not 3rd party plugin authors do not provide sample images,
sometimes there is a good reason for that, e.g. Beatify plugin can create a few dozens of different effects, one image would
misrepresent the plugin and lead to even more confusion, placing all of them or even the half would be a nonsense .
Many scripts are just the utility tools, which are self-explanatory and don't require an image.

<<[li]all-plugins-thumbnail preview of current image (with default values)[/li]
That would be an overkill, besides,technically not possible because to do that you'd need a plugin to be
running on the background

<<[li]faceted search [/li]
There is a tree view (see the underlined menu button of the screenshot)

<<[li]search by tags[/li]
Available - keyword 'color' in search bar lists all related plugins and scripts (see the screenshot)

<<[li]search by keywords: in title, in description, or both[/li]
see the above answer

<<[li]full description[/li]
Usually available

<<[li]"similar-to..." so if you found something that's nearly what you want, you could browse around[/li]
Similar by name/tag/keyword is available, similar by effect/functionality - who's gonna make the
categorization/classification? There are virtually hundreds of plugins out there

<<[li]not to crash when either fields above is missing[/li]
Not sure what that means

<<[li]possible translations to other languages[/li]
Who's going to provide the translations?

<<[li]other meta data (i.e. author, website link, documentation/help link, download link, version, compatibility, filter or generator, animation, lisence, date, <<dependencies)[/li]
<<[li]multi platform[/li]
<<edit: [li]be able to read meta-data / updates from the online gimp repository website[/li]
Even the commercial plugins you paid the money for don't provide most of that.

does such browser exist already?[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:21 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Apparently keshef has not interested to our replies but only to re-post again and again his message as if is much more concerned to perfect a new spamming trick then to a plugin browser

Or maybe he didn't noticed the replies because more a message is OFF TOPIC more become difficult monitor the replies

Even if this was a very special case, because is formally correct , is the only version where the message (that obviously always the same) is not posted as a totally Off Topic reply ,in a less refined and camouflaged spammer style

Mrs Wilbress