It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP 2.8 running slow?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:17 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I wasn't a GIMP user until recently. I have downloaded version 2.6 and 2.8 In terms of interface, I prefer 2.8, but I'm not sure why is that version run much slower than 2.6 on my laptop. I'm not a tech savvy person, and I'm fine with version 2.6, I just want to know what is going on.

Here is my computer specs:

MacBook Pro 2013 (non-retina)
OS X version 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB RAM 1600MHz DDR 3
Intel HD Graphic 4000 (on board)
750GB 5400 rpm HDD

This is what happens when I move my image. And this is a 640x400 px resolution image. The only application running when I take this screenshot is my web browser. Needless to say, this kind of problem is more apparent with larger files, or when using 'heavier' tools.

Could it be my graphic card is causing a bottleneck? I have heard that Intel graphic card sucks, but some also said that Intel HD 4000 is a big jump than 3000. Most people says that Intel graphic cards are not suitable for gaming, but I wonder if it's fine for image editing.

Or perhaps it's because of the HDD? My version of MacBook Pro doesn't come with SSD (which I find amazingly fast), but is a 5400 rpm HDD really that bad? Also, isn't when I'm using an application, the file is loaded to the application, which makes this rather irrelevant?

Or perhaps GIMP is actually a rather heavy application? I mean, I used Photoshop CS3 in my previous PC laptop with Dual Core processor and 4GB RAM, and it runs without this kind of lag... despite crashes occasionally when I do certain commands (perhaps something went wrong on installation, I used a pirated software, though), but it works smoothly in terms of moving and scaling images.

Or does GIMP tend to run slower on Mac somehow?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8 running slow?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp may be heavy according from what you do
judging from the screenshoot you was doing nothing , really nothing that could suck resources

you have only 1 image open, very little , only 1 layer, no intensive filter running , it seems you was trying some brushes
May be the graphic card because what froze was not a gimp operation but move the gimp interface

It should be no reason for gimp to be slower on Mac but are several version of gimp and flavors of Mac.

As example you may try the build from http://www.partha.com .
A different version of gimp could not solve graphic card issues but maybe , being a little different will not trigger the issue or less often .. i believe would be worth to try

Again link http://www.partha.com there you will see a section for Mac with files & how to

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I always felt the brush engine to be laggy on Mac. Moving layers around was also sticky. And I had more and better RAM than on my Windows desktop.
Gimp is best on Linux, good on Windows and...it works on Mac. It was not meant for Mac, maybe it is as simple as being a bad port?
And that intel GMA won't help either, I got lots of graphics issues with one Mac Mini that had intel HD 3000. Not only with Gimp but other Graphics software too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:46 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

"Edit/Preferences" - > Environment

Make sure the "Tile cache size" is at least 50% of your RAM. Otherwise, do you have tools showing disk activity, RAM usage, and CPU usage?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:27 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

It has been discussed here before, I have no reliable information to back it up but it seems like
the gimp image tearing while panning/zooming, brush outline lagging/not showing - all this sort of problems
come from the graphics card poor performance.
RAM, HDD speed should not be a huge factor here because real-time on-screen displaying is video card's prerogative.
It becomes even more obvious in 3D apps viewports, especially working on heavily populated with hi-poly objects 3d scenes.
I had plenty of RAM and i7 CPU but the problem solver for my PC was upgrading to the newer high performance video card with enough memory.
Tearing and lagging in gimp are now barely noticeable.
Not sure it would be a solution for the Mac computers or Windows XP/Vista, i'm using Win 7 64-bit and it did work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:03 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I have performance issues I've noticed. I don't work larger sizes but today I made a 2048 x 2048 file I use in Procreate on my iPad. Gimp had some slowness issues. Line drawing was a bit slow but not very noticeable. The most noticeable was the Undo of said lines. If was long line it would take 5 or 6 steps (the tiling thing Ofnuts could have been talking about) and just now I moved the image around like you had pictured and it took forever to redraw. I never had this problem with smaller sized doc.

I have a Geforce GTX 650 Ti 2048 MB graphics card with 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 on my hack mac. So this should be more than enough to power something like the pixels involved here. I just had a white background and was making a 2 point perspective map with 1 pixel sized lines.

Myself, I will probably go back to Partha's build as this is on Gimp for OSX thing. I'll have to compare one day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:48 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
I have performance issues I've noticed. I don't work larger sizes but today I made a 2048 x 2048 file I use in Procreate on my iPad. Gimp had some slowness issues. Line drawing was a bit slow but not very noticeable. The most noticeable was the Undo of said lines. If was long line it would take 5 or 6 steps (the tiling thing Ofnuts could have been talking about) and just now I moved the image around like you had pictured and it took forever to redraw. I never had this problem with smaller sized doc.

I have a Geforce GTX 650 Ti 2048 MB graphics card with 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 on my hack mac. So this should be more than enough to power something like the pixels involved here. I just had a white background and was making a 2 point perspective map with 1 pixel sized lines.

Myself, I will probably go back to Partha's build as this is on Gimp for OSX thing. I'll have to compare one day.

Let's not mix things up and cause even more confusion here.
I was talking only about image tearing while panning and zooming, not drawing.
Drawing in gimp does not happen in graphics card because gimp does not support GPU rendering yet.
It will use OpenCL graphic accelerator in later releases (2.10 or 3.0)

This is not only a Mac issue, Windows users reported the same problem in 2.8 performance vs 2.6.

Your Undo ops taking forever is a different matter. It sure sounds like a nasty bug. There are some issues
with 2.8.10 brush outline not showing on Mac computers, especially on Mavericks.
Maybe waiting for a bugfix or downgrading to older versions of 2.8 (including Partha's build)is the only option for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:30 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

The image tearing and related heavy slowdown when working on high res textures was happening for me constantly during the 2.7.x/2.8.x versions of Gimp on Windows.
For a long time we were told it was a gtk problem and could only be fixed with a new version of gtk somewhere for a very far away future version of gimp

But during development, someone discovered the actual source of that bug, and it was fixed starting with Gimp 2.8.6 , on my windows version i don't see anymore those tearings and gimp respond fast for work now.

Though Gimp 2.6.x even packed with tons of brushes, plugins and scripts still start noticably much faster than even the latest 2.8.10 "barebone" on my system (unless i delete the "script-fu.exe" file, and so can't use .scm scripts, but at least Gimp then start in less than 5 seconds not a bad trade as all my plugins still work) .

I don't know if you're using an up to date version of Gimp or if you're stuck with a pre-2.8.6 version , but if the tearing is still happening for you, maybe try to report it on their bugzilla tracker, after all the solution for the window version of this tearing bug was found after it was reporting there, maybe someone may be able to find something about it for Mac too ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm  (#9) 

Just to mention I have this issue too. 2.6 was instantly fast on OS X, but it had that odd window system which made it awkward to use. 2.8 has been really slow at updating changes but feels more like native software. I have learned to put up with it (takes maybe 10 seconds to hide/show a layer), but hoped it would have been noticed/corrected by now. Currently on 2.8.10. Tried increasing the cache value.