It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendations of Graphic Tablets
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've wanted a graphic drawing tablet for some time but with all these promo flyers I can certainly justify it, so I'm ready to order.

I had selected this, Monoprice 10X6.25 Inches Graphic Drawing Tablet.

It's a low end but well reviewed product - I saw a review that said it had no "relative" mode. Which from the description is similar to how a touch pad works. I don't think it would matter since I would never miss what I never had LOL.

But it did get me to thinking that perhaps instead of just researching I should ask what is best reviewed HERE by people using Gimp for the same purposes I use it for.

I have two requirements, I would like to keep it under $100 and I would like to get it on Amazon if possible because I can overnight it for $4.

Suggestions? What features come with your recommendation and what are they used for? I have never had the use of one so it will all be new to me.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations of Graphic Tablets
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I have a Wacom
Bamboo Fun
Model CTE -650
You can google it for specifics, I use mine for painting and sketching in gimp and MyPaint.
I am very happy with it. I have had mine now for over three years so I have no idea what the cost is today.
I think the Wacom is one of the most popular tablets.
If you browse around you will see all different prices. Mine was around $179 when I got it, they might be more or less now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

The waycome 680 is $180. the active area is 8X5.
Waycom offers a 3X6 in my price range

IS tablet size an important issue?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Mine is 9-1\2 by 11 but in my case I don't think I need one that large but maybe when you get some feed back from some of these really good artists we have here in this forum, you will get a better idea what people are using.
I am a Linux user and it is so easy, it is like plug-in play. In windows, I have to install it into my Program files, but that was very easy too. Mine came with the pen (stylus and the mouse).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

AllenaMae wrote:
The waycome 680 is $180. the active area is 8X5.
Waycom offers a 3X6 in my price range

IS tablet size an important issue?

Tablet size depends a bit on your habits. If you are an artists and are used to draw on paper you may not be too comfortable using the smaller sizes. Otherwise small sizes are OK, you make smaller moves and this can be less tiring. The things to check are the resolution (and how that translates into side-to-side values) and the pressure sensitivity (how many values). This is the difference between the cheap ones and the Wacom ones, and for the Wacom ones, the differences between the Bamboo and the Intuos brands. Marketing frills (additional buttons, etc) are not very useful. Wireless connection (tablet to PC) is not very useful either (the wire is on something you don't move anyway).

I have a Wacom Bamboo One (no longer made I think), which is small size (A6, approx. 6"4"). Very happy with it (Windows and Linux).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you both. I think I know what I want now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:07 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours, let us know how you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:40 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I decided to get this one - Monoprice Tablet

It has the highest specs and in that area is comparable to those that are $300 plus. So a great place to start. I actually ordered it from Monoprice because they have a good return policy so if it is not up to the job it should be apparent. They offer free return shipping within 30 days for defects, and yu pay to return after that but they replace to the warrenty. Not bad.

I am excited to get it, I love drawing and I can't wait to try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:05 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I have had a Wacom bamboo one and I now have a Wacom Intuos pen and touch small and I have been happy with both. I really have no use for anything like gadgets or special modes, I just want to be able to draw and paint. I think you will be happy with your choice and would have been whatever you decided on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:35 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

allena may: good luck with your new buy, hope you get lots of fun with it :)! i looked at cheaper brands at first, and they all listed the same pressure sensitivity that i would get for a wacom in my price range, so that didn't seem to be a difference. what made me by a bamboo in the end (apart from a lucky coincidence that got me a good price on one just when i had finally decided i was going to buy) was that i knew it would work in gimp. none of the cheaper brands i found had any info on that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:49 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wacom tablets are the ones working best with GIMP since they are the ones with the best Linux support. The two things tend to be correlated. :) That said, Wacom is the market leader for a reason, they make very good tablets and the lower-range (Bamboo) is really worth the tiny extra cost in the long run.

Also, wacom has patented a technology that allows them to use pens without any batteries. Most (all?) other tablet brands require a battery in the pen. Maybe not a big deal, but I do find that I have to change the battery pretty often on my Android Tablet (which uses an N-pen with battery).

Tablet-size has little to no importance unless you are a analogue painter used to large, vivid movements. Some claim that small tablets can be stressful to the wrist, I would rather say this depends a lot on how you work personally. I've had both small and bigger tablet sizes and can't say I'm prefering one over the other - the resolution of (wacom) tablets are so extreme it really doesn't matter all that much.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

AllenaMae wrote:
I decided to get this one - Monoprice Tablet
That's great you must be excited. Hopefully your tablet will be delivered soon and the setup will go well.
Monoprice (UC-Logic) Tablet FAQ for Windows 7 at deviantART

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:

Tablet-size has little to no importance unless you are a analogue painter used to large, vivid movements.
Griatch

Yes I am!

I am excited, we shall just have to see. I am all for purchasing professional quality, but I also have seven children who like to eat, and wear clothes and all that stuff. LOL so selecting one with a modest price at first is important.

Thank you everyone for your opinions, several of which were key. the reviews said people used it with Gimp so we shall just have to see.