It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What have you made with Gimp that.....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

exists beyond the digital ?

Like posters or cards. Anything physical really.

Im a member of this forum for about a year....
my Gimp folder is something like 1GB, mostly stuff i made for the fun of it.

Image manipulation with Gimp has become a hobby for me, that i feel sometimes is pointless, because a lot of the stuff i make is for the sake of it.
Like killing time, or having fun, or curiosity.

Which is a pity, because i feel it would be greater if some of the stuff i made could hang on my wall or have any other use, if you know what i mean.

So far i made a few reference sheets that hang on my monitor.
A very simple stencil for spraying a decorative number on my wall and thats really it.....

Thats not very much, is it ?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: What have you made with Gimp that.....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Once I mad a card using GIMP, I drew a picture then rotated it and put it on one side of a lager image then printed it on photo paper and folded it...that's about all I've ever done. lol

I think there are places that you can pay them to make your image be printed on an actual canvas and buy it from them. Not sure though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I've drawn up some paper models of castles using Gimp. I Drew about 5 or 6 castle models, but only built one that was left back in NYC when I moved to AZ.
I should have taken some pictures and saved the Gimp files, but didn't do either.
I also make a card every Christmas to send to my family members. I was also working on plans to build a Keepsake-box out of paper, but never completed it.
I've also designed a few logos for friends, that I've seen on t-shirts, posters and flyers.
I had one of my original pastel-chalk drawing converted into digital, that now sits in a paper picture frame on a shelf in my bedroom, that were all drawn/designed using Gimp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:47 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

A drawing for a T-shirt. My wife comes from a family of farmers, and my brother-in-law unearthed from the barn of the family farm one of the zinc plates with the "brand" of the great-grand-father that was used to mark his fruit & vegetable cases in markets (in the 1920-1930s). I took an accurate photo of it, and spent several hours in Gimp reconstructing the plate with paths (this also got rid of rusted spots, residual dirt, etc...). From this (extract):

Attachment:
Cultivateur-Photo.JPG
Cultivateur-Photo.JPG [ 32.51 KiB | Viewed 2585 times ]

To this:

Attachment:
Cultivateur-Path.png
Cultivateur-Path.png [ 15.81 KiB | Viewed 2585 times ]

Family gatherings are now done in branded T-shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, Esper, does it really matter if there are no "real" examples of your work. Are you doing Gimp for yourself (your pleasure) or for profit? I started with Gimp because I wanted to manipulate / enhance photos but I could not afford PS. I have made many personalised birthday cards and printed quite a few photos as entries for a photoclub. However , apart from photos I do not have anything to show for my passionate affair with Gimp or Ps ( I have since bought a copy of Ps CS5) . I simply sit in front of my monitor and "do" things. I "do" Gimp because I can! I wonder how many graphic designers who are paid to "do" things, as in fashion or advertising have "real" things at home to show off their work. Maybe, a few have some photos (as in a resumé), but most likely the bulk of them have very little "real" examples to show for their passion or trade sitting on display in their home.
From your initial post you seem to enjoy Gimp just for the pleasure. What is wrong with that? Gimp, Paint or Ps are hobbies that do not produce much "real" stuff but gobble up the hours and keep the grey matter active.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 pm  (#6) 

Being new to this forum a big hello to all

I've used gimp for about 5 years now, although I use Corel Painter a lot for my photo painting work I do use gimp to do my photo prep work before taking it into Painter. I use it and love it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:12 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

This was done for a church leaflet, See Below, prior to gimp I used to the posters for a local drama group, they were all hand drawn at the time but had gimp been available back then I would of used it.

For me Gimp is also just a hobby, but thats why sites like here and DA are good because you can share your artwork and da will print and sell if you want. Not got anything printed as yet although would like to create some artwork for the house.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
exists beyond the digital ?

I have a couple of my digital paintings printed and hanging in the second floor hallway of my house. A handful of prints are floating around out in the world, too. There's also the cover of my novel, with a few dozen printed copies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I have printed a few enhanced photos and have done graphics for friends to print, such as invitations and posters. But the main reason I learned gimp is because I love gfx-ing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:07 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Don't know that I have anything that is worthy to be put up on my walls.
I have done a couple of logos though (similar) Coffee2Connect & Community Coffee2Connect (Done with same font but different colours)Image
I did a welcome sign for a friend's office although unfortunately she only printed it in black and white. Although it did look just as good. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7848&start=20
I have also touched up a couple of photos but only for friends or friends of family.
A couple of A4 posters I have also done and the Red Shield puzzle I did with Graechan's script is still up on the wall at my corps.
I have done a few cards as well now.
Although most of my playtime is the same - just fills up my folders or I put the results of my work online.
So it stays digital.

Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I never thought of it like that but when I start counting it's actually quite a few things of mine that escaped the digital world. Not only GIMP stuff but at least OSS stuff.

- A few people around the world have actually bought (via DeviantArt) and now (supposedly) have my paintings hanging on their walls, something of which I'm very proud! My relatives have some prints of mine on the walls too, but they don't quite count. ;) My own walls are lined with prints (cheap printouts on the office colour laser printer, heh), there are over a hundred of them. Some are really old and should probably be cycled, but it makes for an unique decoration. And they make for interesting conversation pieces when I have visitors ...

- A large print of mine was put up on one of the LibreGraphics conferences to showcase MyPaint. I'm not sure if any my gimp.org screenshots were ever printed for the same reason, probably not.

- I have made and printed Christmas Cards for the last 5-6 years or so. Also, I try to make and print birthday cards and father's/mother's day cards for my folks. Some of those I only send by email but others have indeed been printed properly.

- I've given away a few jester, troll girl and landscape-themed mugs, I think those are still in circulation. I also made a few T-shirts with various motives at one point.

- My Saturn interpretation (made in Inkscape) was put on the main street of my hown town (it was printed as a huge sticker and put on the boardwalk). That was a comission from my work, for commercial purposes. I guess one should count the numerous scientific posters I've done over the years as well, since they were all done in OSS software, many with graphics made in GIMP or Inkscape.

- I did do a CD cover for a Brittish hip-hop band once, but I don't think I ever saw that album getting into print, alas.

- There are some commercial logos and commercials around which I did and which I suppose are printed somewhere.
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:38 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

wbool63 wrote:
Hi, Esper, does it really matter if there are no "real" examples of your work.*snip*

Hi wbool !

thanks for your input.

For me it matters to have "real" examples of my work.
I was a creative person all my life.
Got my first computer in 2000, then internet and doing digital stuff began to dominate my life.
This has advantages and disadvantages.
The world has changed a lot because of the digital age.
For me computers have sucked energy out of me.
Im very much unable to do physical stuff, like i used to.
Its so much easier to push a mouse around than going through the tedious process of making something physical.

I used to make clothes - i want to do it again, but i cant.
I want to redesign furniture, but i cant.
I dont have the ambition and i dont have the energy anymore.
So i do a bit of gimping instead.

As is said, i have a huge folder with stuff that i made, but its just sitting there and i ask myself, why is it that i dont make some artwork for my wall ?

But gimp is a bit of a hobby for most of us Gimpchatters it seemed to me- thats why i was curious - is this only me, or do other people use Gimp to make something that can actually be printed ?

Of course its totally okay to do something that is used exclusively digital.
Like wallpapers or in my case coverartwork for my mp3 player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

I just found out the last commission I completed has made it into the "real world" courtesy of Zazzle:

http://www.lesley-smith.co.uk/zazzle-ma ... -part-one/

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

RobA wrote:
I just found out the last commission I completed has made it into the "real world" courtesy of Zazzle:

http://www.lesley-smith.co.uk/zazzle-ma ... -part-one/

awesome !!
i wish i had the energy to do that kind of thing

@Griatch: you are a real artist so i did not expect anything less than a very long list of achievements from you
i envy you !

@sallyanne: i like your coffee2connect poster !

@ofnuts: impressive !

@ Wallace, Moko, he4rty, 2-ton and merrak: thanks for your input, i read all your comments with great interest !

@inbeeman: hi to GC, we also have a Introduce Yourself subforum ! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

You can still make clothing and furniture designs in GIMP, inkscape or other programs! Combine both things?
If you mean like you used to sew, well, I'm not patient enough to sew beyond a pillow so...Yeah. lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I use Open Source Software in design. I've designed cases for mobile devices (my current full-time profession) using Blender 3D, GIMP, and Inkscape. Some of these cases are available in retail stores. I've also illustrated a book cover using GIMP, which has since been published. I'd post links to both, but unfortunately, I might get banned for it... so uh, guess you'll have to take my word for it? lol. I'd upload pictures of the designs, but I don't know if that would violate the "do not post (c) material" rule...

Well, instead, here's a case I designed for me (now ex) girlfriend in Blender 3D, and edited in GIMP, and then made on my sewing machine, instead (photos edited in GIMP as well)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Esper
Are you able to design some material with all your designs made by Gimp?

RobA I love your framed cartography!

I agree Griatch who would expect less of you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:24 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

The most notable item I've created with GIMP, that very much has a real-life physical presence is this book cover. My roommate just published this with her co-author. There are now print copies as well as downloadable digital copies available. She also ordered the front cover portion as a poster which looks amazing on our living room wall. So far, in my journey through the GIMP maze, this has to be my crowning achievement and I get a parental glint of pride in my eye anytime I look at how good it turned out.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I did a couple of fliers earlier this week in Gimp and also this

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

I've done, literally, several hundred designs for everything from sports team logos to business logos and cards to graphics for sale merchandise. One issue I constantly run into is that the vast majority of my work is inappropriate for GimpChat. By and large my work is in the areas of law, politics, religion, sex, civil rights, equality, political correctness, and other issues with which many sites would rather not become involved. I respect that, and so what I post here is limited. I'll have to do some digging to see if I have anything GimpChat safe.