It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings, again. . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everyone. It's been a while since the last time I posted in this forum. Just wanted to apologize for not posting any artwork at all.............but that will soon change! A year ago I just didn't have all the right equipment to begin my adventure into the world of digital painting; my tiny Bamboo graphics tablet just wasn't cutting it. I've since learned that if I really want to learn digital painting the right way, I must start with a graphics tablet that is somewhat proportional to my monitor to help facilitate an artists natural drawing mechanics. I can't stress this enough: you really do need the extra space of a larger tablet to do longer sweeping lines which simply aren't possible within a space measuring 3 x 5 inches.

So with that said, I have recently done a serious upgrade to my workspace and I am prepared to start releasing my production paintings to this forum under the "Art" subheading. I've managed to narrow down my focus in industrial design to producing sketches intended for the entertainment industry. Primarily, these sketches will include the type of work normally done during the preproduction phase (2 - 6 months) of a project such as a film or a video game. As I'm still unfamiliar with the Gimp interface, please don't expect a plethora of images to flood this site any time soon! They will be produced mostly with MyPaint for now as I make the transition to Gimp.

Gimp has always been a piece of software that I was eager to learn for my industry but my schedule in the past just didn't afford me the time to study this program. Now things are different and I have loads of free time to pursue this project and I'm extremely excited about it! I'm looking forward to interacting with the Gimp community of artists on this site. Perhaps I will learn a lot from you folks on this new journey into the world of digital art.

Blender 2.5, Mypaint, Corel Painter Essentials 4.0

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Greetings, again. . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:16 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Geez, how embarrassing is it when your post shows at the top of the list in the main index!!! That's a little difficult to swallow. Hehehehe!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:20 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Welcome back Eric.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Nice to meet you Eric. Limited space was one of my problems with adjusting to my Wacom Bamboo tablet. I had always expected it to be like drawing with pencil and it is - kind of - but it feels a whole lot different. I've adjusted to it now but if I can ever afford it, I'll go bigger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

A big welcome back Eric. I actually have grown to like this format since it allows folk to see the cool variety of topics and comment on them as opposed to pidgeon holing folk into a few categories. Makes for more fun I say. Look forward to seeing some of your stuff soon. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:10 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome! I'll be posting up some of today's artwork shortly. I just have to figure out a quick method to do it. I'm probably going to go with my usual method I use for other sites with links to my Photobucket account--I think that might be the best way to do it.

I think also that I'm going to go through one of Griatch's Gimp tutorials that he's posted on the net for a little practice.

I like the format on Gimp Chat as well, I just have to watch what I type from now on because everyone might see it! I'll just have to be mindful of my language. Well, I got to get back to work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:27 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

You can do just that but Tux also offers free hosting (up to 4 images per single entry) and decent size per image to boot if necessary. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry guys for not posting any artwork soon as I promised. I'm just a little embarrassed at my lack of skill adjusting to a stylus and an ominous-looking piece of black plastic as a drawing surface. I'm definitely not going to post up any experimental scribblings as I gain a bit more familiarity with Mypaint and Gimp--those kind of images aren't fun to look at--but, I will be showing the run-of-the-mill practice studies that most art students have to trudge through during the first year of art school like basic shapes and color value studies, etc. That stuff is dull too, but it's a whole lot more interesting than what I'm producing now!

I was spending way too much time trying to work out all the stability issues with Mypaint .9, and then I found out the other day that they released version 1.0 that supposedly fixed all of that and improved the interface, so I installed that and I've been tinkering with it all day yesterday learning about all the features it has. Today, I plan to dig a little further into the Gimp enviroment and learn some basic editing skills for that piece of software; it should take me all day, I'm afraid, but I'm inspired by recent successes with Mypaint so I don't mind reading parts of a huge manual today!

And speaking of digital artwork, I'm surprised that the drawing surface is so slippery on the Intuos4 and that my pen nib almost got completely worn down after six hours or so of working with my tablet. At that rate, I'm going to burn through about 15-20 nibs per month and end up spending $20 on them each month. I don't think I can use a cheap substitute for nibs, like the type of vinyl cord they use for weed whackers, because the diameter of those pen nibs looks to be less than a millimeter. Luckily, my table came supplied with 10 nibs, so I'm ok for now.

I can't wait for Gimp 2.8 to be released because it would be very nice to be able to import .ora files from Mypaint with the layer information intact.

--Eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:48 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome back. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:52 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, Rod. Now I have to start learning about Gimp. Laters.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Eric_Woods, you can make your own nibs for your tablet for practically nothing. Griatch put out a tute here:
Wacom Nibs made easy

Post subject: Cheap nib replacement
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:13 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Molly. I just checked out the link to Griatch's nib replacement tutorial. I had seen it before about 8 months ago on this site but I forgot about the details of how to replace the nibs on the stylus. I just checked the the diameter of my pen's nib for the Intuos4 stylus and it looks like it's about 1.5mm's--I think that will work with some weed wacker cord so I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

--Eric