It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Newbie And A Question About Paths
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 am  (#1) 

New member here. I am just starting to use GIMP. Googling for tutorials, and just starting the long climb up the learning curve.

My questions concern layers and paths. Right now I am learning GIMP because of an interest in drawing maps. I am working on a map now where different parts of the map are drawn in layers. Layers for coastline, mountains, hills, trees, etc. Pretty standard stuff. The question comes in when I create a layer for rivers: Create the layer and draw in a path (using path tool) for river. I made sure the layer was active when I made the path. The path does not seem to be tied to the layer at all. I can "unsee" every layer but the path is still shown, even on the checkerboard. I can delete the layer where the path was created but the path remains. Is this normal behavior for a path? Whenever I unsee other layers, brush drawn art on those layers goes away as I'd expect. Apologies if this is basic knowledge, but I googled every manual and tutorial I could find and no one seems to address this question specifically.

GIMP 2.8.20
All layers transparent, using default values on creation
Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for any assistance!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Another Newbie And A Question About Paths
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Paths are "virtual". They are just "drawing instructions". They are attached to the image, not to specific layers(*). You can draw/render a path on specific layers by making a layer active and using Edit>Stroke path (use "Line" mode for clean output).

(*) because there are other uses for paths, such as creating selections. You can also use the same path for different purposes, for instance to create a selection that you bucket-fill on one layer, and to stroke the path as an outline on another layer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:12 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Gildor. Welcome to Gimp Chat.

What you are seeing is normal behaviour. A path is not tied to a layer. Create a path, then use it on any layer. To take control of your paths open the paths dialogue.

For some more info on paths see here:
http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Working-with-Paths

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 am  (#4) 

Thank you ofnuts and Blighty! I just had to get my brain wrapped around how paths are different and make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to Gimp Chat! =)