It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jakes New to intense ;)Photo manipulation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 am  (#1) 

Hi Jakes here,I am new to Gimp .But i am wondering what are the differences between Photoshop and Gimp ?

I want to do it for fun and hobbie purposes .

I will upload progress .

Over and out :ninja

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Jakes New to intense ;)Photo manipulation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am  (#2) 

The main differences lies between the two programs is non-destructive editing. In Photoshop, you have things like:

-Smart Object
-Adjustment Layers/Mask (Adjust Masks are only supported in Smart Object in Photoshop)
-Transform Mask
-Actually good selection tools (RGGJAN is an exception I heard, and I can't get SIOX to work like I'd like)
-Non-destructive Layer Styles
-Support for non-raster layers
-Decent shape support

GIMP is completely fine for hobbyist and in some few cases, professional use, but in a lot of places within professional world, you need those missing things. Smart Object is replaceable by instanced layers, and file layers though. You don't need to support smart object to support filter mask as evidenced by Affinity Photo and Krita though.

Photoshop is not exactly perfect though, it doesn't support multiple transparency masks, and you literally need to convert to smart object to do filter masks, and G'MIC literally cripples Photoshop version of G'MIC by far just because of the amount of filters within G'MIC. Vector objects can only be used as a smart object, but in Krita, you can use vectors like you're using Inkscape, but of course, vectors are only used as raster support in Krita much in the same way that vectors are just raster support in Photoshop.

Oh, and for terminologies that might come up in your journey

Filter mask=Adjustment mask
Filter Layer=Adjustment Layer
Layer mask in GIMP/Photoshop=Transparency Mask