It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP 2.10 installation grays out wireless network icon in task bar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi. I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their Win7/64 bit task bar Network icon no longer being visible after the GIMP installation? When I click "show hidden icons" in the task bar, then click "customize-->turn system icons on or off", the Network icon is grayed out, so that I cannot activate it to show in the task bar. The only fix I found that works is to do a restore point to before the GIMP installation. But once I re-install GIMP 2.10 and open it the problem returns (upon re-start of the computer). I have internet access; I just no longer have the internet bar icon showing in the task bar. Is this a known bug? Thanks in advance.

-Nikon Guy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.10 installation grays out wireless network icon in task bar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Welcome Nickon Guy to Gimp Chat :)

Do You have a ^ arrow on your task bar near the other icons?
Sometimes hidden icons are found in there. I rarely see a printer icon on my task bar any more. But it usually is in there

I use Windows 10/64 now so cannot give you a current update of Windows 7. But I'm pretty sure when I was using 7/32 bit a few icons were under there.

Click on this arrow and you will get a small pop up window showing hidden icons.

Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.10 installation grays out wireless network icon in task bar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:15 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Sallyanne. Thanks for your response. I do have that arrow that shows any hidden icons. The issue is that the Network icon that allows me to manually connect to the internet (and was displayed in the task bar) has been disabled upon installing GIMP 2.10.2 and the option to activate it (on the "Turn system icons on or off" page) has been grayed-out. My workaround is to set my rig to automatically connect to the internet when I boot up, since the shortcut to connect is no longer able to be shown in the task bar. This seems to be just a goofy bug that my particular system encountered upon installation of GIMP 2.10.2.

-Nikon Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:02 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

:) Since I don't use Win 7 any more I guess I cannot help then.
I have never had a network icon on the task bar but if you have, maybe you need to look at contacting https://www.howtogeek.com/t/windows/
I haven't looked at if they have Win 7 stuff any more.
I think support from Microsoft has stopped for Win 7, but that is a separate place. They may be able to help you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, Sallyanne, for helping out. I will give howtogeek a try and see what I can come up with. I will treat this like a Windows issue rather than a GIMP issue moving forward.
-Nikon Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

The only workable solution I have found for this missing Network icon issue was to restore my computer to an earlier time before installing GIMP 2.10.2 (when I didn't have this issue). I have re-installed GIMP 2.8.22 and will continue to use that for another 6 months to a year while 2.10 stabilizes. There was something about the Partha install that caused the issue.