It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from New Westminster, BC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:44 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

Howdy all!
I've been playing with Gimp on and off for about 6 months. More off than on actually. I finally decided it's time to get serious and really learn the program. I've been lurking around a couple of the Gimp forums and found this one to be very knowledgeable and friendly. Overall I'm impressed with the Gimp community, very giving folks indeed.

I've discovered so many excellent tutorials, tips, tricks, scripts, etc. Recently I bought two Gimp books, Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition by Akkana Peck and GIMP Bible by Jason Van Gumster & Robert Shimonski. Great books, love them both!

Hopefully I'll be able to post something worthwhile soon. In the mean time I'm looking forward to picking a few brains around here.

Cheers!

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Hello from New Westminster, BC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:01 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to Gimp Chat Odinbc. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Rod.

I have quite a bit of computer knowledge which should help me on the road to learning Gimp. The first graphics programs I got serious with were Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw, many many years ago. I kind of let that slide so now I'm trying Gimp.

Another program I just started with is Inkscape. I'm looking forward to learning it as well. I suppose Gimp and Inkscape would compliment each other. Anybody have thoughts or experience with that?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
Thanks Rod.

I have quite a bit of computer knowledge which should help me on the road to learning Gimp. The first graphics programs I got serious with were Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw, many many years ago. I kind of let that slide so now I'm trying Gimp.

Another program I just started with is Inkscape. I'm looking forward to learning it as well. I suppose Gimp and Inkscape would compliment each other. Anybody have thoughts or experience with that?

Yes they most certainly do work well together.I use them both together quite often. :)
GTK programs integrate well with each other.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 am  (#5) 
Retired Staff

:welcome to Gimp Chat, Odinbc. British Columbia is not extremely far north of me here Oregon.

I love your wizardy avatar.

I have Akkana Peck's book too. It's for gimp 2.4 but is still a great reference for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Nice to have you on board Odinbc. Yes there are plenty of helpful tips on here and all members have a great knowledge on gimp. I myself still learning :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:50 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to our forum Odinbc and enjoy your quest. I've been on it for over 10 years and still learn new tricks nearly every day. GIMPChat is a cool place to learn and colaborate with others too imo. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
Howdy all!
I've been playing with Gimp on and off for about 6 months. More off than on actually. I finally decided it's time to get serious and really learn the program. I've been lurking around a couple of the Gimp forums and found this one to be very knowledgeable and friendly. Overall I'm impressed with the Gimp community, very giving folks indeed.

I've discovered so many excellent tutorials, tips, tricks, scripts, etc. Recently I bought two Gimp books, Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition by Akkana Peck and GIMP Bible by Jason Van Gumster & Robert Shimonski. Great books, love them both!

Hopefully I'll be able to post something worthwhile soon. In the mean time I'm looking forward to picking a few brains around here.

Cheers!

They are definitly one of the most giving communities I've ever been in, and you definitely found the right forum. There are three that I'm actively involved in, and out of the three this one is by far the most involved.

I always recommend the Gimp Bible, it's a fantastic reference book, and it's only 20 bucks. Feel free to pick my brain, and by all means check out some of my gimp tutorials, or even my principles of photo editing.

Nice to meet you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:00 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:

I've used both programs quite a bit although I must admit I'm still learning about some of the more advanced Inkscape features. Inkscape is a fantastic program if you're drawing something from scratch, or working with fonts. Gimp is better at coloring, editing photos, and changing something that already exists. A lot of people like to start drawing in Inkscape and finish in Gimp, so yes, I'd say they compliment each other very well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:05 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to our world! Can't wait to see your contributions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:10 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Thanks, akky. I'll try to do something this afternoon hopefully.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Hello Odin! Are you a fan of Norse mythology? Welcome to Gimp Chat. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:19 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Somewhat, I've read some interesting books on Norway, mostly on hiking. They all seem to mention Norse mythology. I was born in British Columbia, my father is from Norway. I've been but many years ago. The people are lovely.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

tstandiford,
I noticed on your Awesome Gimp Tutorials page you mention the Wacom Bamboo Fun. The other day I was at the store looking at the, Wacomm Bamboo Connect (80.00 CAN) and Bamboo Capture (100.00 CAN) any thought?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:57 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I specifically mention the bamboo fun only because that is the tablet I use although if I had a choice I'd go for the capture because it has a couple of extra shortcut buttons on the tablet itself that you can set to do different things. The connect doesn't have the extra buttons.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:24 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

My first attempt with Gimp. I'm Canadian eh! So I had to use one of our Canadian National Symbols the Beaver.

Attachment:
File comment: The colors in the original photo were a bit washed out so I was try to enhance the colors and make the photo pop-out a bit.
IMG_0222-blg-gimp.jpg
IMG_0222-blg-gimp.jpg [ 86.55 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Before
IMG_0222-blg-orgin.jpg
IMG_0222-blg-orgin.jpg [ 72.14 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]

Spirit Bear (Kermode)