The latest Gimp news
Post a reply

PhotoGimp gets some publicity

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 am

https://www.dpreview.com/news/057111989 ... oto-editor

Now try and follow some Gimp tutorials!

Re: PhotoGimp gets some publicity

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 am

First time I've heard of PhotoGimp. That looks just like the way my Gimp is set up. I've had it that way since day one, I don't like the original interface. Following tutorials is not a problem, though I rarely ever do anyway. It's great that Gimp can be configurable and that makes it my favorite image editor.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:04 am

That makes me angry :hoh . Why does it HAVE to look like potostop anyway!?
I thought the key shortcuts could be changed to whatever you wanted?

I had the thin line of tools a while back too, only because I had such a small screen and needed the room.
Gimp can almost be put in whatever arrangement you want too - including color grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:41 am

A lot depends on how experienced the Gimp user is. The most common form of gripe from a newcomer starts Gimp does not work.. followed with a partial screenshot of 'what is not working' in a PS type setup. Then you have to ask Where are the Tool Options ? They think it is clever to set 'free' Gimp to look like 'expensive' PS

The default Gimp setup with tools directly above the tool options is ideal for a beginner. Once all the Gimp options are explored (maybe after a couple of years use ;) ) then set up, to suit your own purpose. Photography is different from Pixel-Art.

I have used Gimp from version 2.2 through to the present 2.10.20 and still think the best setup is a 2.8 single window type setup. Tools and tool options one side, docks for Layers and Paths / Brushes & Patterns on the other. Easy to get at. Also good for those laptops with 1366 x 768 displays, still plenty of those around.

The default Gimp 2.10 is better suited to a HD display, all those never used tabs ....aargh...

Then from the PhotoGIMP patch blurb.
Hundreds of new fonts that mimic those available in Photoshop - Just asking for trouble
New Python-based filters, such as 'heal selection' - is it that difficult to install resythesizer ?
Default settings maximize the space on the canvas - there is always the tab key to temporarily hide the docks. (Although that is another newby question, 'where have the docks gone ;) )

Edit: Just had a scan at what is on offer.
Looks like it is just for a linux flatpak at the moment although you can unzip and get at the brushes and fonts if you so desire. Extra plugins? straight from the Debian gimp-plugin-registry package. Some do not work, Separate+ for example
------
As an alternative, when it comes to Gimp linux flatpak, there are now additions available, no more side loading missing lib files
What there is: BIMP / Resynthesizer & python plugins / Liquid Rescale / Lensfun / GmicQT - that last one is a winner.
I posted some details here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Linux ... s-official
Post a reply