It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp Painter 2.8 For Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi All,

I created portable version of Gimp Painter 2.8 for Windows 64-bit and 32-bit. These are portable versions and should not interfere with your regular Gimp.

It has been suggested that Ramon's GPS (http://www.ramonmiranda.com/p/gps.html) be pre-installed. However, I noticed that he provides presets and brushes and so I think it *should be* relatively straightforward to install them once you install Gimp Painter. Just unzip his download into .gimp-2.8 that is created as part of the portable process. I have not tested this assertion. So, feel free to post your comments about it here.

I have not used Painter before and so can't say if what it does is normal or a bug. :)

Here are the downloads:

64-bit: http://www.partha.com/temp/Gimp-Painter ... e64bit.exe
32-bit: http://www.partha.com/temp/Gimp-Painter ... e32bit.exe

Please let me know if you have any issues. I am sure there are experts here who can solve them for you.

Thanks,
Partha

Last edited by partha on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp Painter 2.8 For Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Cool ...thank a lot !
Just installed

Maybe disguised as the Wilber equivalent of the Doctor Frankstein i will soon try some insane experiment...

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks so much, Its like a Christmas joining this site I
keep receiving lovely presents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:03 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Partha!
At some point I followed Ramon's tutorial and was going to build it on Linux. And here comes the savior!
God bless you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you PARTHA :coolthup
you're awesome :hi5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you very much

It took me a little why to find how to use the MyPaint brushes (didn't noticed the new button in the toolshelf) .

Unfortunately, at least on win32 as it's what i use, performance is truly awfull.
The same as you win32 build of 2.8.4.

I can't make comparison because have no idea on how to install Gimp painter+Mypaint brushes on the window version of 2.8.4 released on gimp.org (that does not have the horrible performance of your version of 2.8.4 and is fast and smooth) to see if it's again your win32 build that has problem or if in that case it is the combination of GimpPainter+MyPaint brushes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
Thank you very much

It took me a little why to find how to use the MyPaint brushes (didn't noticed the new button in the toolshelf) .

Unfortunately, at least on win32 as it's what i use, performance is truly awfull.
The same as you win32 build of 2.8.4.

I can't make comparison because have no idea on how to install Gimp painter+Mypaint brushes on the window version of 2.8.4 released on gimp.org (that does not have the horrible performance of your version of 2.8.4 and is fast and smooth) to see if it's again your win32 build that has problem or if in that case it is the combination of GimpPainter+MyPaint brushes.

Hi Brogun,

This is twice you have mentioned that the performance is "truly awful". While it may be so for you, I have not had such a report as of yet. Without giving any details, it is hard to help you.

If the performance that you get from the gimp.org download is "fast and smooth", then you should use that version. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that version.

At the end of the day, I don't provide these builds with any guarantees, implied or otherwise, and you are free to delete this version.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

That's great if other people can use your 2.8.4 builds on win32 without noticing a big performance hit between it and your past 2.8.2 (that was as good as 2.6.10 for the performance) , and do not see any difference in performance with the semi official 2.8.4.

Too bad that's very different from what i see on my win32 system, in which your 2.8.2 performed very good, the same as the semi official 2.8.4 does, but your 2.8.4 do not (and unforunately neither your gimppainter version too).

But i reported this because i thought you were seeking feedback on what you shared
Quote:
Please let me know if you have any issues.

My bad, i'll keep silent now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
That's great if other people can use your 2.8.4 builds on win32 without noticing a big performance hit between it and your past 2.8.2 (that was as good as 2.6.10 for the performance) , and do not see any difference in performance with the semi official 2.8.4.

Too bad that's very different from what i see on my win32 system, in which your 2.8.2 performed very good, the same as the semi official 2.8.4 does, but your 2.8.4 do not (and unforunately neither your gimppainter version too).

But i reported this because i thought you were seeking feedback on what you shared
Quote:
Please let me know if you have any issues.

My bad, i'll keep silent now.

You completely ignored the part where I said "..without giving any details"?

Without this I am left guessing why it affects you and does not affect others.

One guess I have is, cairo is the culprit. You could experiment by copying all the cairo related DLLs from 2.8.2 and putting them onto 2.8.4 and see if you still the performance hit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Partha for the quick portage of Gimp Painter 2.8 on Windows and thank to MareroQ to have revived this topic.
I have downloaded and tested your version and it work correctly on my computer, not with a great performance but acceptable given the "experimental" configuration. Maybe some settings could improve it.
I wanted to see the behaviour of Gimp Painter with this version, but also how worked the Brushes of MyPaint, and I am satisfied of them.
I have two things which have not a nice behaviour, the movements are slow and sometime the mouse cursor is offset from the features of the tools.
It seems that it's not possible to stop the brushes of My Paint when they are used, as soon as a MyPaint Brushe is selected the drawing starts without clicking on the canvas.

I will tested again to understand the behaviour of Gimp Painter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:

One guess I have is, cairo is the culprit. You could experiment by copying all the cairo related DLLs from 2.8.2 and putting them onto 2.8.4 and see if you still the performance hit.

Well, i assumed you had read previously the report i made on your Gimp 2.8.4 release thread in which i gave the detail of what was wrong.

And indeed, it's cairo (at least on Win32), because as soon as i moved the libcairo-2.dll
from your ...\Gimp-2.8.2\bin\
into your ...\gimp-painter\bin\

suddenly no more atrociously slow brush, no more extreme cursor lag, it is -as fast and smooth- as your Gimp 2.8.2 was, even the MyPaint brushes are very fast and smooth.

Only problem then is the remaining problem steeno mentionned : the brushes can't be stopped.
But their behaviour is very close to the original MyPaint brushes, definitively potential in making Gimp not only a very good image editor, but a fantastic painting program in the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm  (#12) 
Script Coder

Partha I have noticed a bug in the win32install with your mypaint tool in that the selected brush is on at all times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
partha wrote:

Well, i assumed you had read previously the report i made on your Gimp 2.8.4 release thread in which i gave the detail of what was wrong.

And indeed, it's cairo (at least on Win32), because as soon as i moved the libcairo-2.dll
from your ...\Gimp-2.8.2\bin\
into your ...\gimp-painter\bin\

suddenly no more atrociously slow brush, no more extreme cursor lag, it is -as fast and smooth- as your Gimp 2.8.2 was, even the MyPaint brushes are very fast and smooth.

Only problem then is the remaining problem steeno mentionned : the brushes can't be stopped.
But their behaviour is very close to the original MyPaint brushes, definitively potential in making Gimp not only a very good image editor, but a fantastic painting program in the same time.

Thanks for testing!

I sort of stopped looking at Gimp painter because Onkel already created another version.

I noticed that the brush could not be stopped as well. I don't know what the issue there is. Do you see the same issue with Onkel's version?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Partha I have noticed a bug in the win32install with your mypaint tool in that the selected brush is on at all times

is this the same problem mentioned above by Brogun?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
I sort of stopped looking at Gimp painter because Onkel already created another version.

I noticed that the brush could not be stopped as well. I don't know what the issue there is. Do you see the same issue with Onkel's version?

I just tried what i think is his version :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa ... kel_Hatti/

the win32 version of his gimp painter and i noticed that :
- it's affected by the same slow/laggy brushes and cursor, again cairo as it's fixed (and brushes/cursor are smooth and fast again) by replacing his libcairo-2.dll by your 2.8.2 libcairo-2.dll

- the Mypaint brush are not affected by the "brush are not stopping" problem of your build.

I have read that Onkel_Hatti wrote :
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6459&start=20#p80862
Quote:
You have to consider, that the version of underlying gimp is 2.8.3, this is an unstable version.
The disadvantage of gimp-painter is, that it is based on an outdated version of gimp. I didn't
(and will not) analyse the code, but I think, there are massive changes to realize gimp-painter
(just think about the ability to turn the painting canvas)
As asked before, gimp-painter will not be taken by the gimp developer crew, because it does not
use gegl.

hinting that there are certainly problems between gimp painter and recent gimp code (could they be related to the brush not stopping in your own build ?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 am  (#16) 
Script Coder

Quote:

No Partha Onkel's version does not have this problem with the MyPaint brush tool

could not get back to you earlier because my broadband link fizzed and it took them 2 days to fix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 am  (#17) 

Thanks for gimp-painter windows 64 everything works wel except for the brushes of mypaint
When I chose a brush of mypaint it is selected but with drawing it has a lot of delay
Is there a button what i have to change to prefent this

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:21 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

I do not know of any lag adj but the issue with the brush being on at all times after selecting the tool has left Partha's version unusable and I was hoping that partha would try another build as this does not happen in Hatti's build

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:48 am  (#19) 

Thanks for the port.
My problem with it is the way that bar behaves on the top that appears in one-window mode.
When you use the path tool or the colour picker, it gets wider and pushes all tools and the picture down, so the position I want to pick from moves away from the cursor position and lags a bit due to the movement and then it moves back up when a brush is picked. It doesn't lag if docks are hidden, however I cannot see an option to disable that one particular dock.
It should either be closable, or fixed in size or if it has to get thicker, just cover more of the drawing area but not move it.

Also, to trace a path or to make a selection from the path, it seems no longer possible from the reglar menu and only in the new top dock.

Maybe I missed the means of disabling that menu/dock, but I believe I checked all options and

Attachments:
File comment: Path options not available in the regular menu but works in that new dock
GIMP3.jpg
GIMP3.jpg [ 242.12 KiB | Viewed 3316 times ]
File comment: Colour picker. Drawing area is moved down from under the cursor
Gimp2.jpg
Gimp2.jpg [ 174.01 KiB | Viewed 3316 times ]
File comment: With brush
Gimp1.jpg
Gimp1.jpg [ 175.66 KiB | Viewed 3316 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 am  (#20) 

windows 8 64bit. i tried. brush doesn't stop on mouseup. rest is good
kindly fix and reply here. huge thanks for all the efforts. regards,lala