It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.12 Released (BROKEN) - GIMP 2.8.14 Released
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm  (#101) 
GimpChat Founder

Duplicate the layer, color with stroke color, select and shrink by the stroke width. That's what I usually do. Produces better results on text anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:24 am  (#102) 
GimpChat Founder

Looks like the stroke bug has been fixed in the GIMP 2.8.x source.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721249#c14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 am  (#103) 
Script Coder

Great but I'm not that sure how long it will take for it to be Implemented in a portable that has a 32bit folder, now I'll have to wait
(sometimes when they fix one thing it breaks something else), Lyle taught me pessimism

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am  (#104) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
Great but I'm not that sure how long it will take for it to be Implemented in a portable that has a 32bit folder, now I'll have to wait
(sometimes when they fix one thing it breaks something else), Lyle taught me pessimism

Were you able to get a clean compile? If so, you can fix it yourself by removing the offending unref in gimpstrokeoptions.c and recompile.
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.c ... ction=diff

Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.12/14 Released (update)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:31 am  (#105) 
GimpChat Founder

:bump

The installer has been updated but it looks like there are still some issues..

We have released an updated 2.8.14 installer for Microsoft Windows. This one fixes the crash on window resize and the missing icons bugs - all by updating the included GTK+ library to 2.24.24.

Still unsolved are the missing spacing character in the zoom drop down and the disappearing background on high zooms (updating the Pango and Cairo libraries that are didn't change anything there), investigations continue.

Please continue to report bugs, we can't fix what we don't know about.

http://www.gimp.org/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 am  (#106) 
Script Coder

have you tried using the same theme from 2.8.10, the default themes in 2.8.15 were a bit buggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:06 am  (#107) 
GimpChat Member

It seems GIMP-2.8.15 no longer instantly updates the theme from Edit>Preferences>Themes. It updates on next start.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:02 pm  (#108) 
GimpChat Founder

Are you guys referring to GIMP 2.8.14? The GIMP team is referring to this release as 2.8.14.

Only Samj is calling her packaged release V2.8.15.

This seems confusing to me. Shouldn't odd numbers refer to development versions and even numbers refer to stable releases? When there are maintenance releases or revisions to the stable version, shouldn't there just be another number added?

In GIMP 2.8.10, there several maintenance updates. In Fedora, new compiles/revisions are denoted as GIMP 2.8.10-1, 2.8.10-2 and so on. It seems to me this paradigm makes sense and helps keep track of exactly which version you have.

Graechan wrote:
the default themes ... were a bit buggy

You have confirmed that the missing characters in the size dropdown is also related to the theme in 2.8.14? That is good to know. :bigthup

Has anyone been able to duplicate the missing background problem on high zooms? There are screenshots of the problem in this bug report.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 pm  (#109) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
:bump

The installer has been updated but it looks like there are still some issues..

We have released an updated 2.8.14 installer for Microsoft Windows. This one fixes the crash on window resize and the missing icons bugs - all by updating the included GTK+ library to 2.24.24.

Still unsolved are the missing spacing character in the zoom drop down and the disappearing background on high zooms (updating the Pango and Cairo libraries that are didn't change anything there), investigations continue.

Please continue to report bugs, we can't fix what we don't know about.

http://www.gimp.org/

If I have understood it comes to the zoom button Image The interchange of libraries libpango-1.0-0.dll and libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll solves the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:22 pm  (#110) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Are you guys referring to GIMP 2.8.14? The GIMP team is referring to this release as 2.8.14.

Only Samj is calling her packaged release V2.8.15.

This seems confusing to me. Shouldn't odd numbers refer to development versions and even numbers refer to stable releases? When there are maintenance releases or revisions to the stable version, shouldn't there just be another number added?

That means, as i said before, that Samj compiled after the creating of the release.
So, in fact, it is a package made from the development Version.
The GIMP Team did not make a new release. They just made another package with other third party libraries.
If they made a new release, its name would be 2.8.16.

GnTux wrote:
Has anyone been able to duplicate the missing background problem on high zooms? There are screenshots of the problem in this bug report.

Yes. open an Image, add transparency and zoom it to grotesque 4000%. The transparency vanishes.

Hatti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm  (#111) 
GimpChat Founder

Onkel Hatti wrote:
That means, as i said before, that Samj compiled after the creating of the release.
So, in fact, it is a package made from the development Version.
The GIMP Team did not make a new release. They just made another package with other third party libraries.
If they made a new release, its name would be 2.8.16.

Yes. I understand this. Her compile included the stoke bug fix. The question arises as to what it will be called when another Samj release is made. Will it be 2.8.15.x? As I mentioned, Fedora never uses odd numbers, even when new updates are compiled. They use the paradigm I mentioned earlier.

I was just questioning why Ron & Graechan was talking about GIMP 2.8.15 when this thread is really about GIMP 2.8.14. This is where things will get confusing, especially for newer users and those who don't follow the development cycle

Onkel Hatti wrote:
Yes. open an Image, add transparency and zoom it to grotesque 4000%. The transparency vanishes.

Thanks for the info on how to duplicate. Linux, which is what I use, doesn't have this issue, but Window's users can utilize your method to confirm they have the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:54 pm  (#112) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Yes. I understand this. Her compile included the stoke bug fix. The question arises as to what it will be called when another Samj release is made. Will it be 2.8.15.x? As I mentioned, Fedora never uses odd numbers, even when new updates are compiled. They use the paradigm I mentioned earlier.

2.8.15.x? Externally (naming the .zip), maybe. Internally: certainly not, because gimp cannot deal with another number.
So wanting to use it, would make a code change neccessary.
In my opinion, there is only one 2.8.14, this is the official build from gimp.org. All other packages are unofficial and should
be named 2.8.15. This is no paradigm, everybody can do what he wants.
So it is good to have known package creators, as Partha or Samj.

GnuTux wrote:
I was just questioning why Ron & Graechan was talking about GIMP 2.8.15 when this thread is really about GIMP 2.8.14. This is where things will get confusing, especially for newer users and those who don't follow the development cycle

You are right. There is a difference between 2.8.14 and 2.8.15, in this case, the stroke bug fix, but the development goes on, and the next package also is 2.8.15, which differs from the yesterdays 2.8.15. So it is always important, from which state (date and time) of the git source the package was made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 pm  (#113) 
GimpChat Founder

Onkel Hatti wrote:
2.8.15.x? Externally (naming the .zip), maybe. Internally: certainly not

There is a difference between 2.8.14 and 2.8.15, in this case, the stroke bug fix, but the development goes on, and the next package also is 2.8.15, which differs from the yesterdays 2.8.15. So it is always important, from which state (date and time) of the git source the package was made.

Well, I suppose the packager could state the date and time the package was created. I just think it makes more sense for Windows' packagers to use a simple incremental numbering scheme to denote versions they are releasing, as is done by Fedora and other Linux distro packagers. I think it would be less confusing for the average user. I was not suggesting GIMP be renamed internally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:11 pm  (#114) 
Script Coder

Quote:

I called the Samj portable 2.8.15 because that's what she called it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 pm  (#115) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
I called the Samj portable 2.8.15 because that's what she called it

Yes, but you and Rod referred to the "default theme in GIMP 2.8.15" earlier in this thread.

Is there a difference in the default theme of the GIMP team's release of 2.8.14 & Samj's release of 2.8.15?

I wasn't sure but I didn't think there was a difference in the default themes. That is why I was asking the question and wondering if you guys were conflating the two versions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 pm  (#116) 
Script Coder

GnuTux I do not know if there is a difference between the 2 if the 2.8.14 theme from the gimp team was posted I could check
With the disappearing transparent background on zoom, that has happened since 2.8.0, if you go back to 2.6.x all's well so lets call it a nuance of 2.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm  (#117) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
GnuTux I do not know if there is a difference between the 2 if the 2.8.14 theme from the gimp team was posted I could check

Here ya go. This is the default theme from the GIMP team's Windows version of GIMP 2.8.14. (I was able get this using Fedora 18 with wine Windows emulator)

Can you let me know if it's the same theme as in Samj's 2.8.15 (9-1-2014) release?

Attachments:
File comment: GIMP 2.8.14 Default Windows Theme
gimp-2.8.14-default-Windows-theme.7z [127.92 KiB]
Downloaded 171 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 pm  (#118) 
Script Coder

No difference to Samjs default theme,Samj also added the 'Symbolic Gimp' theme to preferences which also works with python

Attachment:
symbolic-gimp.7z [307.97 KiB]
Downloaded 177 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm  (#119) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
No difference to Samjs default theme

Ok, That is what I thought. :hehe

The missing characters in the zoom dropdown is present in the default theme in GIMP 2.8.14. But you have determined that if you switch to the default theme used in GIMP 2.8.10, the missing characters in the zoom drop down reappear. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 pm  (#120) 
Script Coder

The missing characters reappeared when I used the Greenheart theme in 2.8.15,but I lost python
The themes from 2.8.10 may not work in 2.8.14 or 15 Windows

hold it 'symbolic gimp' is in my 2.8.10 and 2.8.15 and works the same way in both(i.e. cuts of last letter), so this is maybe a theme problem

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6